| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Breakfast help..
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:26 am 
WRETCHED

I am trying to change around my breakfast and I don't know how. I don't particularly like warm food in the morning. I usually wake up hungry, have a protein shake and be done. I want to switch this around and it may take a couple tries.

1) Must be simple - no cooking involved
2) Can be prepared ahead of time
3) Higher protein, lower carb, fat neutral (don't care if it is higher fat or lower fat)
4) No bread, oats, other grains. Also, trying to save my fruit for later in the day so trying to also have it so it is fruit-free as well

Things I have thought that might work -
Tofu 'egg' salad with veggies.
Hummus with veggies

What else might work?

Post subject: Re: Breakfast help..
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:54 am 
WRETCHED

I found another idea which would be fine if I make it ahead, chickpea pancake
http://ohsheglows.com/2013/09/15/jumbo- ... -or-lunch/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:09 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

how do you feel about dinner leftovers? that could fit the bill easily.......cold meatloaf slices, cold stew, chili,fajitas, etc I like dinner stuff cold.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:12 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

ooh, and unsweetened yogurt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:34 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Chia pudding? I've seen a couple recipes recommended as make ahead breakfast option.

I make the fat free vegan chickpea omelettes and cold, unfilled from the fridge they are pretty yummy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:51 am 
WRETCHED

I thought about yogurt... but I wasn't sure yogurt with what.. And I forgot about chia pudding.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:03 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

How about tofu scrambles? I love eating them cold.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:59 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

are oats low carb (some say yes - some say no, i think it deals with pre packaged sweetened stuff). so if they are okay - over night oats sweetened with agave or maple syrup. sprinkle in some hemp seeeds and fresh fruit in the morning like a banana & you are good to go.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:01 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I made the chickpea pancake for breakfast today! It was fast and yummy.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:49 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I made little mini quiches last week that were awesome. I blended a block of firm tofu, about 1/2 cup of chickpea flour, 1 tbsp cornstarch, 1/4 cup nooch, some salt & pepper, a bit of olive oil (2 tbsp?), and about a cup of water until smooth. I mixed it with some sauteed onion and garlic, chopped broccoli, chopped mushrooms, and some chopped tomatoes, then put it in a greased muffin tin. Baked for 30-40 minutes at 375.

They turned out great! You could mix and match the veggies, and they were also portable. I'm planning to make a couple batches this week so we have them on hand.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:00 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

ooh, that does sound good jopa. I gotta try that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:28 pm 
Nailed to the V

Yogurt was my first thought too. Without grains or fruits, the only mix-ins I can think of are nuts and nut butters plus the spices of your choice.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:51 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Celery sticks with nut butter are easy as can be and surprisingly satiating. I have them with currants or raisins on top but you could do a sprinkle of seeds or more nuts on top.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:13 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Crock cheez with veggies is one of my favorite make ahead breakfasts. I usually have a few triscuit crackers, too, though. Seitan sausages (either homemade or store bought) would fit the bill, assuming the grain avoidance is because of the carbs and not another reason. I like them well enough cold dipped in mustard. You could also cook them in advance with some peppers and onions.

Depending on why you're avoid grains and fruit (just the general carbiness or another reason), this is my list of breakfasts with at least 15 g protein and no more than 30 g net carbohydrates: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1brE ... sp=sharing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:33 pm 
WRETCHED

You guys are great. Yeah, I was just avoiding grains in the morning due to carbiness, no other reason. I usually eat heavier carbs and fruit later in the day.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:04 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Scrambled chickpeas from idi is really good. Super filling and sticks with you for a long time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:18 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I really like the idea of making mini quiches ahead of time!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:56 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I make seed granola for my yogurt. Roast pumpkin and sunflower seeds, maybe add some chopped nuts. Mix with shredded coconut and ground flax. I like sweeten it with stevia or another low calorie sweetener and combine it with low carb fruit like berries.

You can also make 'oatmeal' with tvp. It sounds weird, but it's actually quite good. You can cook a big batch in advance. If you don't like it hot, you can just eat it straight out of the fridge. http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/u/r/od/br ... atmeal.htm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:21 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I was just wondering the other day if one could make Tvp oatmeal.

For lunch at work, I almost always make what I think of as lazy asparagus soup: some form of dehydrated protein (Tvp crumbles or chunks or soy curls or vegi "beef" or whatever) plus half a cube of broth (I like vegan bun hue cubes but all broth is good broth in my mind) plus boiling water. Leave it sitting for 5 minutes in a container with a lid, or put a plate overtop, et voila. If I have vegetables on hand I put them in but if not, whatever, I eat vegetables at every other meal anyway.

This is my lower carb go-to meal and I would totally eat it for breakfast. If you have a means of easily producing boiling water (we have a magic boiling water fountain at work, seriously) like an electric kettle, it is no work at all. You can also pre-set containers with your dehydrated protein & broth so you can grab-n-go at food time.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:32 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

My contribution is not very exciting, but I like to eat smart dogs for breakfast. Seitan sausages would probably be better, and the same idea.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:47 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

coldandsleepy wrote:
I was just wondering the other day if one could make Tvp oatmeal.

There are also soy grits, which have a finer texture. But they're harder to find.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:52 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Ethiopian faux scrambled egg, aka buticha, is supposed to be served cold. There are recipes in VEW and Papa Tofu Loves Ethiopian. Maybe this is also what couroupita is talking about.

I could live on cold baked tofu slices. Those with some veggie sticks would be a stellar breakfast, and you could bake up your tofu on the weekend and eat it all week.

If you find veggie sausages tasty cold, they might be a good option. I like tofurkey italian sausages cold strait out of the package. My spouse thinks this is disturbing. You could also fry up Gimme Lean at the beginning of the week, or make your own seitan sausages. Once again, I'd probably add veggie sticks to make it a complete meal.

I make low carb muffins by replacing about half of the flour in a recipe with a combo of rice and pea protean powders and VWG, and sweetening with Splenda. You can even work veggies in if you make carrot or zucchini muffins. (I use whole wheat for the flower that I do leave in.)

Tempeh bacon BLT lettuce wraps: (cold) tempeh bacon (home made at beginning of week or store bought), tomato, and veganaise, wrapped up in a big lettuce leaf.

I've heard that Kashi Go Lean now has a vegan (no honey!) high protein cereal out. Maybe that with soy milk.

Yes to the idea of making crustless quiches on the weekend and eating those cold for breakfast all week.

One of my favorite breakfasts is coffee, whole wheat toast, and salad. My mom thinks this is really gross. But if you have washed greens and chopped veggies in your fridge, you could easily throw together a salad for breakfast, and add canned or pre-cooked beans, cubed tofu (maybe baked, marinated, or dry fried in advance, crumbled tempeh or tempeh bacon or tempeh sausage crumbles, or seitan slices, and maybe some nuts for protein.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:34 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Cornelie wrote:
I make seed granola for my yogurt. Roast pumpkin and sunflower seeds, maybe add some chopped nuts. Mix with shredded coconut and ground flax. I like sweeten it with stevia or another low calorie sweetener and combine it with low carb fruit like berries.

You can also make 'oatmeal' with tvp. It sounds weird, but it's actually quite good. You can cook a big batch in advance. If you don't like it hot, you can just eat it straight out of the fridge. http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/u/r/od/br ... atmeal.htm

Yes! I put plain tvp and nuts/seeds in my plain homemade yogurt. I didn't mention it before because it doesn't sound very appealing, but in the yogurt the tvp is kinda granola-ish. It wouldn't win a James Beard award or anything, but it's pretty high protein/low carb.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:45 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I have been known to eat meatballs in chikn broth for breakfast (microwave necessary). Also gimme lean sausage with sugar free syrup (prep them in advance, pop in toaster oven). I also really like hiyayako for breakfast. Just a slab of cold silken tofu, a bit of soy sauce and sesame oil, sprinkling of presliced scallions, sesame seeds. Good stuff. Also enjoy nuked refried beans from a can for breakfast. It fills that mushy oatmeal hole in my life.

Love the idea of cold tofu scramble or quiche, but I wouldn't be able to go to that effort for breakfast.

Salad is a pretty common breakfast in many places. A middle eastern influenced salad loaded with chickpeas would be pretty good. Or really good hummus eaten with a spoon, in a pinch!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:49 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

When I was traveling in India, there was this breakfast I had at an Ashram one morning. I believe it was small tapioca pearls, boiled, and cooked up with tumeric and other spices, along with a couple veggies (I don't remember which ones, bell pepper and something I think) It was so simple, but SO good. That and a cup of chai was just the best start to the day I could ever imagine, and you could totally make it the night before. I love it warm, but I'm sure it'd be good cold as well :)