| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Lazy People Mainstream Food Thread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:34 pm 
***LIES!!!***

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Ariann wrote:
Fantastic Foods, I think all of their mixes are vegan and they're all great.
Near East, same deal
not exactly mainstream, but every Indian-flavored ramen I've ever seen (usually called things like "spicy masala" flavor)
Vegetarian baked beans, many brands
non-frosted pop tarts, but I haven't seen them around much anymore
Stacy's pita chips (I don't love these), almost all brands of tortilla chips, salsa, and hummus
Oreos, pecan sandies, the new Walgreens store brand fig newtons (brand is called something like True or Good?)
also maybe not mainstream (but it is around here), the vast majority of the kosher food section, including chicken and beef flavored soup mixes and dried noodle soups, and huge quantities of awesome weirdo Israeli snack foods (bamba!)
potato bread

wait a second. where do you live? i swear pecan sandies are not vegan. or are there multiple brands of sandies besides keebler?

Maybe I'm thinking of a different cookie? Or maybe I'm wrong (which would make me sad)? Hmm. In the meantime, I went back to Walgreen's and their brand is called "Nice!" - vegan fig newtons.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:54 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Aubade wrote:
kimba wrote:
I've never seen the non vegan one. I almost never find the vegan ones either for that matter. They always have the Maruchan brand flavor in oriental, which is not vegan. I went out of state and found the Top Ramen at a random gas station and brought a few back with me. They are gone now though.

Same for me. You gotta be careful not to get the maruchan brand. It is a little hard to find the Nissin oriental flavor, but we are lucky to have a few stores nearby that sell them, and usually buy a lot of packs when we see them so I'm kept in a constant supply of the fattening ramen goodness.

Sometimes if I'm feeling fancy I mix in some frozen cauliflower.

I add broccoli with the noodles, add seasoning, then drain, add cubed tofu and a spoonful of peanut butter. Disgustlicious!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:55 pm 
WELFARIST!

You guys, meals! I already have a cheapo vegan snack thread!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:56 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I forgot I have a vegan app on my phone that lists vegan food finds...It is called 'vegan finds' I believe!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:34 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Do you get Linda McCartney stuff in America (other countries are available)? Because her sausages are uniformly good, and they're often £1 for six, which is a good point in their favour.

Also, you met to make jokes that she makes them from beyond the grave.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:57 am 
Bathes in Braggs

littlebird wrote:
in canada, the President's Choice brand has "PC Blue Menu Bulgur and Quinoa with Chickpeas" and a couple other sides in the frozen aisle that are vegan. they're pretty tasty too. it looks like they have vegan wings too, but i haven't seen them in our local store.

I didn't know about those - will come in handy for emergencies.

There is also the President's Choice label "vegetarian chicken strips" made by or using Gardein. Here it's $9 for a big bag of about 40. Most frozen french fries are vegan too and conveniently located in the same place.

I love the Thai Kitchen rice mixes. I think some aren't vegan but most are.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:14 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Mr. Shankly wrote:
You guys, meals! I already have a cheapo vegan snack thread!

also i like how you specifically requested not to include amy's stuff!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:59 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Gulliver wrote:
Do you get Linda McCartney stuff in America (other countries are available)? Because her sausages are uniformly good, and they're often £1 for six, which is a good point in their favour.

Also, you met to make jokes that she makes them from beyond the grave.

hahaha, awesome.

ETA: also nah we don't get them here. I've had them before though and they're good, wish we did.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:23 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Ariann wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
Ariann wrote:
Fantastic Foods, I think all of their mixes are vegan and they're all great.
Near East, same deal
not exactly mainstream, but every Indian-flavored ramen I've ever seen (usually called things like "spicy masala" flavor)
Vegetarian baked beans, many brands
non-frosted pop tarts, but I haven't seen them around much anymore
Stacy's pita chips (I don't love these), almost all brands of tortilla chips, salsa, and hummus
Oreos, pecan sandies, the new Walgreens store brand fig newtons (brand is called something like True or Good?)
also maybe not mainstream (but it is around here), the vast majority of the kosher food section, including chicken and beef flavored soup mixes and dried noodle soups, and huge quantities of awesome weirdo Israeli snack foods (bamba!)
potato bread

wait a second. where do you live? i swear pecan sandies are not vegan. or are there multiple brands of sandies besides keebler?

Maybe I'm thinking of a different cookie? Or maybe I'm wrong (which would make me sad)? Hmm. In the meantime, I went back to Walgreen's and their brand is called "Nice!" - vegan fig newtons.

I always get Lorna Doone (which are vegan) and Pecan Sandies mixed up. So maybe that?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:23 am 
Nailed to the V

Now that it's winter I'm crazy into roasting veggies, either for lunch or dinner. Half an hour in the toaster oven and it's done. I love roasted mushrooms, carrots and zucchini.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:27 am 
***LIES!!!***

mollyjade wrote:
I always get Lorna Doone (which are vegan) and Pecan Sandies mixed up. So maybe that?

Ah, Lorna Doone!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:32 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Arisaig wrote:
littlebird wrote:
in canada, the President's Choice brand has "PC Blue Menu Bulgur and Quinoa with Chickpeas" and a couple other sides in the frozen aisle that are vegan. they're pretty tasty too. it looks like they have vegan wings too, but i haven't seen them in our local store.

There is also the President's Choice label "vegetarian chicken strips" made by or using Gardein. Here it's $9 for a big bag of about 40. Most frozen french fries are vegan too and conveniently located in the same place.

I like the frozen President's Choice "chicken" breasts. They are just repackaged (and cheaper) Gardein, but anything Gardein from frozen is better than just refrigerated, for whatever reason. They were kind of a crutch for me in grad school when I was too lazy to make my own protein. I bought them at a store called "No Frills" whose name lived up to its suggestion, and it was right beside my yoga studio and a couple of blocks from my apartment.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:52 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

We got Linda McCartney meals in the US waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day, 95? 96? My mom and I saw them and we both flipped and I was so excited to find frozen vegetarian meals and then they took them away.

Thanks to this thread last night, I bought Asian Dumplings and the Amy's L&L spaghetti (and ate them both, three hours apart, cause they are small). I think everyone is aware the OP said 'no Amy's', but it is significantly cheaper at Target. At one of our grocery stores, the Amy's burritos are about $5 and the meals are $6+, which is even more than the health food store so i'm pretty sure they're just price gouging because it's a 'natural' product.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:46 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

vijita wrote:
Arisaig wrote:
littlebird wrote:

I like the frozen President's Choice "chicken" breasts. They are just repackaged (and cheaper) Gardein, but anything Gardein from frozen is better than just refrigerated, for whatever reason. They were kind of a crutch for me in grad school when I was too lazy to make my own protein. I bought them at a store called "No Frills" whose name lived up to its suggestion, and it was right beside my yoga studio and a couple of blocks from my apartment.

I've only tried a couple of things from the PC faux meat selection, but the reviews I've gotten from other people have been overwhelmingly good. I hear good things about the scallopini

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:14 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Maybe you should change the thread title. Cause all it says is mainstream food, not mainstream meals.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:17 pm 
WRETCHED

And the chips I was talking about are actually called "Calidad". They are delicious and you can definitely make a meal with them (nachos anyone?).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:06 pm 
WELFARIST!

Fee wrote:
Maybe you should change the thread title. Cause all it says is mainstream food, not mainstream meals.

It says this is for meals in my original post but if a mod could change the thread title for me please, so that it says "meals" and not "food" maybe that'll help clear up some confusion.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:49 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I think sodium-stearoyl-2-lactylate is generally vegan? If so, there are potato and onion vegan perogies, in the frozen section in a bag, in Canada. they are the no name product line put out by loblaws. I like to make these a meal either by boiling them and then sometimes pan frying thm and some Yves veggie italian brat sausages with onions and margarine. Add some sour supreme to the perogies, and munch! Also good as a lazy "casserole" meal are the same perogies added frozen to an oven-safe dish, a can of red sauce (spaghetti sauc, pasta sauce.) and as much or as little cheez shreds as you like. Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes and enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:18 am 

I make a meal out of chips more than I care to admit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:19 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

vijita wrote:
I make a meal out of chips more than I care to admit.

This is what I had for dinner last night. I considered opening a can of refried beans and melting some Daiya, but in the end decided that chips were enough. I may or may not still been slightly hungover (a real rarity for me, so it really takes its toll when it happens.)

Which I guess brings up one good vegan meal thing; any one of the multiple varieties of vegetarian refried beans! I don't use them often, but they're nice to have around.

Have we mentioned frozen fries and tots in this thread? Because frozen fries are my ultimate cheap, lazy person food.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:07 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm in the midst of finals, so quick meals have been a lifesaver.

Here's what I've been eating:

-Flavored instant oatmeal (a lot of them are vegan, I get a store-brand variety pack from Shaw's...)
-Boxed Goya rice & beans
-Potato & Onion perogies! I don't remember the brand though...
-Tabachnik has a lot of frozen soups that are vegan- I love their mushroom and barley.
-Veggie dogs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:28 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

1strangegirlbygolly! wrote:
I think sodium-stearoyl-2-lactylate is generally vegan? If so, there are potato and onion vegan perogies, in the frozen section in a bag, in Canada. they are the no name product line put out by loblaws. I like to make these a meal either by boiling them and then sometimes pan frying thm and some Yves veggie italian brat sausages with onions and margarine. Add some sour supreme to the perogies, and munch! Also good as a lazy "casserole" meal are the same perogies added frozen to an oven-safe dish, a can of red sauce (spaghetti sauc, pasta sauce.) and as much or as little cheez shreds as you like. Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes and enjoy!

premade vegan perogi!?? i would die.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:36 pm 
***LIES!!!***

We've got 'em here, too! Some specialty kosher brand, don't remember the name. We get them at a mainstream store, but it's not our regular mainstream store so it's a rare treat.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:46 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

fupapack wrote:
1strangegirlbygolly! wrote:

premade vegan perogi!?? i would die.

We used to eat the hell outta those, but our grocery store hasn't carried them in months. So sad. We do the sausage/onion fry up too... So yummy.

I bought those frozen chicken breast things for the first time. I'm glad to hear they're good.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:48 pm 

Ooh yeah. We've got a few brands of pierogies in the refrigerator section at a few stores. Such a good lazy lunch, especially if you've got some vegan sausages kicking around.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next