| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Macadamia Lace Cookies
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:39 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I'm trying to cook my way through VCIYCJ (12 recipes to go!) and had my first fail last night. I tried making the Macadamia Lace Cookies, and, sadly, they completely stuck to the wax paper. I tried using cooking spray on the wax paper for my last batch, but to no avail. I ended up eating a couple with a spoon and having to throw away the rest. It's sad because some of those ingredients were pricey! At any rate, I'm curious if anyone knows why they would stick to wax paper because, well, isn't the point of wax paper that stuff doesn't stick to it?

Post subject: Re: Macadamia Lace Cookies
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:01 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I had this same problem last week-- also my first fail. I did not use parchment paper so I assumed my problem was that. The cookies were very thin and stuck to the pan, and thus I was unable to scrape them up with a spatula. I also ended up discarding mine, after eating whatever delicious scraps I could scrape up.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:18 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Wax paper is not meant for putting in the oven. Parchment paper is what you want.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:57 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Thanks for the info-- I had been using wax paper and parchment paper interchangeably.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:48 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm reviving this thread because I had a bit of trouble with these last week. I followed the recipe exactly, used parchment paper on my cookie sheets, and I have an oven thermometer so I know the temp was correct. I followed the 6 min baking time and let them cool completely before trying to move them. My problem is that they never hardened...they were kind of the consistency of a fruit roll up -- floppy and gummy. They were also a little oily to the touch. I think they probably should have baked longer but since they don't resemble doughy cookies I was really unsure by just looking at them.

Anyone had problems with these? Suggestions for next time?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:49 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

you might have not had enough sugar, and also might not have cooked it long enough. (it's very precise though. so make sure to record your perfect time/temp for future endeavors.)

it's worth trying again though. they're so amazing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:01 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

supercarrot wrote:
you might have not had enough sugar, and also might not have cooked it long enough. (it's very precise though. so make sure to record your perfect time/temp for future endeavors.)

it's worth trying again though. they're so amazing.

Gosh, that's a good point about the sugar! I looked back at the recipe and it calls for "lightly packed" brown sugar so I think I may have used a little less than I usually do (I usually pack the brown sugar really really firmly and this time I was pretty gentle!). It makes sense since these are sorta candying in the oven that the sugar ratio is important!

Thanks!!

ETA: just read the chocolate chip cookies thread and it seems like measuring by volume is so problematic. I know it's cheaper and easier to measure volumetrically but dang it, going by mass seems a lot more consistent

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:00 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

no prob.

as for measuring by weight, that can be problematic too, cause people in drier environments will have a different weight for the same amount of flour than those in wet environments. (sugar would be more consistent than flour)