| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: looking for must-try recipes using butler soy curls
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:12 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

We eat a lot of soy curls! The veg grocer a few blocks from our house carries them in bulk :) BBQ with mac no cheese and greens, in enchiladas or tacos, and stir fry. Just make sure to squeeze the liquid out with your hands after reconstituting.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:16 pm 
A Bad Person

poopiebitch wrote:
Whatever you do, don't forget to sauce it up and bake in the flavor.

The best advice.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:40 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I've been cooking them with corning spices lately, which is really really good for Reubens or Reuben rolls. I'm writing up how I do shortly.

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:22 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

brian wrote:
poopiebitch wrote:
Whatever you do, don't forget to sauce it up and bake in the flavor.
The best advice.
That's what I'm talkin' about. (Little known fact: Uncle Rico is throwing a solid slab of soy curls into which the flavor has been baked. True story.)

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:22 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Efcliz wrote:
The Courico tacos and salsa from Vegan Brunch. I used them a couple of ways and didn't understand the appeal at all until I tried them in that. And I'd already made the tacos plenty with seitan, beans and TVP and loved them but the curls are the best in it.

thanks again for the suggestion, i recently got this book and plan on making this for dinner tonight with the peruvian potatoes :)

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:45 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I thought I'd revive this thread - I've never ever used these guys before and I just got two packages when I was ordering some other stuff from vegan grocery online. I mostly got them to make the smokey ones mentioned from vegan diner, but any other new loved ways to use them/recipes that call for them?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:03 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I like to make pizza with bbq soy curls, pineapple and jalapeno slices. More barbecue sauce as the sauce, and then homemade cheese sauce or daiya.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:59 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

The veggies and dumplings in Vegan Diner using soy curls is soooo delicious - basically it's chicken stew. I never have vegetarian bouillon so I use poultry seasoning.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:25 pm 
Nooch of Earl

The new Vegan Pizza book by Julie Hassan (sp?) has a couple new soy curl recipes; I haven't tried them yet but I'm excited!

I think the best thing I've made so far was the curl tikka masala, but I don't really have a recipe. I searched online and veganized, using homemade plain soygurt ("Artisan Vegan Cheese" recipe) and spices, then baked the marinated curls in the oven to bake in the flavor. Then I made a simmer sauce with soymilk or soy creamer or coconut milk - I don't remember which - and it was teh lekker.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:25 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

strawberryrock wrote:
I like to make pizza with bbq soy curls, pineapple and jalapeno slices. More barbecue sauce as the sauce, and then homemade cheese sauce or daiya.

aparantely so does julie hasson. her new pizza cookbook has a recipe just for that that i want to make!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:27 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

heatherkelly wrote:
I thought I'd revive this thread - I've never ever used these guys before and I just got two packages when I was ordering some other stuff from vegan grocery online. I mostly got them to make the smokey ones mentioned from vegan diner, but any other new loved ways to use them/recipes that call for them?

okay, soy curls are going to freakin' change your life. i am not kidding.

seriously squeeze the heck out of them after you rehydrate them, and then squeeze some more, and repeat :)

hubby usually just toasts them up in a dry skillet to get them golden brown and slightly crispy and then we pour some BBQ sauce in the skillet and just do simple "pulled pork" sandwiches. OMG so freakin' good.

there is also a pretty awesome recipe using soy curls (that someone may have already mentioend in this thread) from the vegan brunch cookbook. a taco recipe that i believe calls for stewed tomatoes and maybe pineapple. that was a pretty special dish too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:00 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

annak wrote:
bake in the flavor.

I was just thinking about this very technical term having pulled out some soy curls that I've had for...at least 2 years? Hey, everyone? Don't use 2+ year old soy curls. They taste super weird (but didn't kill me).

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:13 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

bookwormbethie wrote:
strawberryrock wrote:

aparantely so does julie hasson. her new pizza cookbook has a recipe just for that that i want to make!!!!

She stole my pizza!

(Not really, it's not that original and Julie is the best.)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:32 pm 
Naked Under Apron

oooh, yes. i don't remember who was talking about erinwyso's sweet 'n sour mock chicken stir fry, but sweet behbeh jeebus it's astounding and stellar in every way. we've made it 5 times in 2 months and we love it with broccoli, too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:33 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

happyfaced wrote:
oooh, yes. i don't remember who was talking about erinwyso's sweet 'n sour mock chicken stir fry, but sweet behbeh jeebus it's astounding and stellar in every way. we've made it 5 times in 2 months and we love it with broccoli, too.

Whoa, that does look really good! I would sub broccoli for the kale too.

I like to make BBQ Soy Curl Quesadillas.

Soy Curls hydrated in broth + Liquid Smoke + BBQ Sauce
Fry them up with some BBQ sauce & red onions. I really like the Jack Daniels one. its vegan!
Then I make a quesadilla with a chickpea spread. Heavy on Nutritional Yeast and mustard powder. More cheezy than hummusy (is that a word?)

Then I always make my quesadillas in a pan so it gets crispy, not microwaved. Maybe some extra BBQ sauce in there, or even corn kernels.

I threw this together once while we had some people over to watch a fight, and they were eating BBQ pizza. I wanted bbq pizza....but I made this instead. It was very very very good. I make it semi-often now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:32 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

There are a few soy curl recipes in Vegan Slow Cooking for 2 or Just You.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:06 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Chicki wrote:
Fry them up with some BBQ sauce & red onions. I really like the Jack Daniels one. its vegan!

the Jack Daniels bbq sauce is my favorite store-bought bbq sauce. hands down. i love that you like it, too!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:39 pm 

I finally used some of my soy curls! I soaked them in un-chicken bouillon, squeezed like crazy, gave them a quick sauté and then added to the cassoulet from veganomicon. They were so good! Rehydrated and cooked they were so unlike what I thought they'd be from the package. I can't wait to try some of the other things suggested in here - the BBQ soy curl quesadilla Chicki mentioned sounds particularly amazing to me right now. Now that I've finally tried them once I can think of so many ways I'd like to use them!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:04 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

heatherkelly wrote:
I finally used some of my soy curls! I soaked them in un-chicken bouillon, squeezed like crazy, gave them a quick sauté and then added to the cassoulet from veganomicon. They were so good! Rehydrated and cooked they were so unlike what I thought they'd be from the package. I can't wait to try some of the other things suggested in here - the BBQ soy curl quesadilla Chicki mentioned sounds particularly amazing to me right now. Now that I've finally tried them once I can think of so many ways I'd like to use them!
'

yeah soy curls freakin' rock! i loooove the texture of them, more so than homemade seitan sausages. which is good because while i'm not gluten intolerant or anything, seitan has been giving me probs lately (i guess from the massive dose of gluten) so i have not been consuming any sietan. me + soycurls 4ever!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:48 pm 

Well, I went from never having had soy curls before to twice in one week! We got home late last night so I made BBQ soy curl quesadillas. Oh man. I would have rather made some BBQ sauce but didn't have time so I grabbed a bottle, and ended up not really liking the taste of it on it's own. Didn't matter though, they were still amazing. I threw in a few handfuls of baby arugula towards the end of cooking the soy curls and made the quesadillas with pepper jack daiya, and they were pretty amazing. Sometimes you just need a junk food dinner.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:41 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I bought my first packs of soy curls the other day. I made soy curl shawarma sandwiches for lunch today. OMG so yummy!