| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HELP! Vegan Adaptation of Favourite Pumpkin Pie
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:59 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi there!

I've offered to make a vegan pumpkin pie this Christmas and while there are loads of recipes out there, I was hoping to adapt my favourite non-vegan recipe and use that one.

The recipe is here: http://pixelatedcrumb.com/2012/11/19/th ... mpkin-pie/

I was planning on substituting 1 cup whole milk for soy milk and the 3 eggs for Ener-G replacement, but I was little more stumped on the heavy cream and egg yolks. Any suggestions for these replacements? Would flax seed and water accomplish the same thing as egg yolks? And would coconut cream be a potential alternative for the heavy cream?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: HELP! Vegan Adaptation of Favourite Pumpkin Pie
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:03 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

With all of those substitutions, this is not going to resemble your original at all. Replacing more than 2 eggs gets problematic, and that much Ener-G is going to taste starchy.

I would stick with a tried and true recipe like the one Isa has on her blog--that's a tasty, traditional pumpkin pie with perfect texture.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:22 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

The eggs in a nonvegan pumpkin pie are creating a custard in situ due to the proteins coagulating during the cook. A mix of starch and tofu should approximate that for you. I'd use extra firm silken for the best texture. Milk + heavy cream results in more milk solids and less water, and soymilk alone will probably be too watery in the proportions called for in the recipe. When I was omni I'd use evaporated milk in place of milk+cream. I'd go with soy creamer, or use the creamiest plant milk you can find (no rice milk or other see-through milk) and bind the additional water with a little more starch. Too much though, and you'll have a starchy pie. Or you can just make Isa's pie if you have agar around.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:46 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Yes, you could substitute coconut milk for the heavy cream, but it would taste like coconut.

Flax and water wouldn't get you there; you're better off using a starch substitute.

I have a pumpkin pie recipe I use on my blog; you might be able to do the math as to how much cornstarch to use for yours. The pie ends up being pretty soft when warm, but if you refrigerate it overnight, it firms up really nicely. Tastes great either way; I'll have to try to veganize that recipe you like some time...it sounds yummy!

http://alinaspencil.com