| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Monthy Vegan snack box?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:02 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

paprikapapaya wrote:
I didn't like my Healthy Surprise box. I got it for a few months and cancelled. There was definitely different snacks each month which was cool, but I had one box arrive with already-moldy raw nut falafel balls. Customer service was good though, and refunded me some money. But some of the other snacks I got were, in my opinion, inedible. Like, gross. One thing that comes to mind was this raw hippie carrot cake bar, which was I'm pretty sure sugar-free and tasted like carrot peels. Blech.

My father-in-law got a carrot-date bar thing that he really liked (which was surprising). We did finally try the Spirulina chips which tasted a little like banana, but...we still didn't want to eat them. But he's diabetic and has a horrible diet so I feel like i'm tricking him into eating less worse stuff.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:53 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

bekki wrote:
IsaChandra wrote:
Stay away from the Vegan Cuts box, it was very skimpy and there was laundry soap....in a SNACK box.

Did you taste it? Maybe it was really delicious laundry soap.

No, but a friend of mine accidentally did! On top of looking like candy it was "Berry" flavored!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:00 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

IsaChandra wrote:
Did you taste it? Maybe it was really delicious laundry soap.

No, but a friend of mine accidentally did! On top of looking like candy it was "Berry" flavored![/quote]

Okay, that actually sounds like something I would do. Now I feel really bad for your friend...expecting candy and getting detergent is awful.

Since this thread was started, I'm really considering the small Healthy Surprise. Even if I get some less than amazing stuff I figure I can pass it off to my daughter. She tends to love most bars.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:17 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

So I was super excited to get my box today. It was a surprise because I was expecting a order from B&N.

Here is what I got, size and my level of excitement on a scale of 1-7. 1 being "Hey, I paid for it and who knows, might be good." A 7 being "FORK YEH!" Followed by a gentle reminder to myself that this is supposed to last a month not an hour.

ONE Coconut Water 11.2 fl oz. -1
Live Smart Bar. Flax Bar 2.5 oz. 7 (ate this first thing, super good)
Olomomo nut co Mango Chipolte Zinger Almonds 2.5 oz. 7
Hail Merry Pecans chimayo chile .88 oz. 7
bare fruit cinnamon apple chips 1.69 oz. 5
Myrna's Skinny Crisps cinnamon 5 oz. 6
Brothers all natural fuji apple crisps .25 oz. 5
Peter Rabbit Strawberry and Banana fruit snack 4 oz. 4
Sun Biotics Cheesy Almonds 1.5 oz. 7
That's it fruit apple and pear bar 1.2 oz. 5
ChiBar berry berry 1.7 oz. 5
Thunderbird energetica cherry walnut crunch 1.7 oz. 6
Fearless Chocolate dark chocolate bar with hibiscus and ginger. 2 oz. 6

So far I am pretty happy with my box. If the selection stays as varied and the sizes stay the same I think I might keep this up for a few months, possibly even going up a box size in the summertime.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:19 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

That sounds like a really nice box, PugMom! I was wishing I hadn't missed the 50% off on Facebook from Heakthy Surprise. I would still definitely still consider ordering from them. I have a daughter who likes healthy snacks and I do, too-this would be a nice way to get stuff always into the house that is o.k. for her to eat without asking me first (like she does with unhealthier type snacks)

For now I think I am going to try to put together online a comparable box from a lowcarb grocery website that I like. The categories are similar for variety-pre-packaged drinks, crackers, bars, nuts, etc. and it will be easy to get the price range to be consistently the same. I am only worried about my own adherance to loading a prepaid credit card every month and fleshing out the order so that it is input at the right time to come every month (I am a terrible procrastinator) but I think since this is a "gift" service to myself, I will make sure I do it. If not, healthy surprise, here I come! I don't mind supporting the site I am now ordering from versus the site of people like Healthy Surprise who make the boxes, because lowcarb is kind of a niche market and it is a Canadian company offering, I feel, a beneficial service. Anyways, anyone else here regularly sent boxes they selected to themselves?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:28 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm seriously considering Conscious Box right now. Better start saving up!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Huh. I just ordered a vegan cuts box today. I'll wait for it to come, and if I don't like it, I'll cancel right away. The seller for me was that they were including mason jar sippy lids this time around.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:27 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

GymClassZero wrote:
I'm seriously considering Conscious Box right now. Better start saving up!

There was a little kerfuffle I saw go by on Facebook about Conscious Box just the other day (Sunday?). The January box had a lotion that had beeswax in it (similar to MrsBadmouth's experience. When my friend commented on this oversight on their FB page, she received a very flip answer, which Conscious Box later apologized for. My friend is going to stay away from Conscious Box because she felt really insulted and burned by the initial response. She's going to stick with Vegan Cuts.

Here is the initial flip answer:
Quote:
"...this [lotion] product is "sacred" which means that divine energy as blessed the beeswax and the bees who produced it, which means happy bees, which means its vegan!"

Here is their follow-up statement, which I believe was sincere:
Quote:
"Hey Everyone - This is Jesse, the customer service rep most of you know and who deals with 98% of the emails. We're not sure who posted our earlier comment, but we assume it was a joke (yes, in very, very bad taste). As the CSR behind most of Conscious Box and as one of the co-Founders, I wanted to hop on here and personally apologize on behalf of Conscious Box. Beeswax is not vegan. We'll send a correction email with the packing list, and we hope those of you who are vegan and received the box can gift this item to a non-vegan friend. We're very sorry for having this happen, and we'll take extra care to figure out why and how it even occurred.

"If anyone has any other questions or concerns, feel free to email me personally.... I am very sorry to see a reaction like that and understand how ridiculous it could come across!"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:44 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I felt like the vegan cuts box was a bunch of samples that I paid $20 for. I gave it a few months but it didn't seem worth it for me. Like a couple of breath mints, laundry soap samples and 2 chocolates the size of my pinky finger didn't scream deal as opposed to something like Naturebox where I get you know, 5 normal sized packages of SNACKS for the same price.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:52 pm 

I noticed that the VC box is getting more stuff and that soon they'll be raising the price. I'm thinking about giving it a go.

I really think Conscious Box can just go suck a fork, I went to look for that post and saw at least five people posting that they got the regular box instead of the vegan box. Clearly, they don't give a shiitake. I'd try the Vegan Cuts box before bothering with CB again, at least you know your stuff will be vegan!

I upgraded my father-in-laws Healthy Surprise box and it came today and he's pretty pleased. He got some raw coconut 'macaroons' that i'm probably going to punch him for and steal. There were a couple of seed/nut/fruit bars, kale chips, some crazy hippie granola with kale, hemp seeds, a raw chocolate bar, coconut water, roasted chickpeas, spicy crunchy nuts...lots of variety.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:40 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

starrynight87 wrote:
Huh. I just ordered a vegan cuts box today. I'll wait for it to come, and if I don't like it, I'll cancel right away.

I just did the same thing. I heard their boxes got bigger, I don't know whether that's true.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:47 pm 
WRETCHED

I wanted to try the vegan cuts one as well so I ordered it. I hope it has good stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:25 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I got a sampler snack box from Vegan Cuts to review on my blog, and I liked it enough that I've now paid for it again two months in a row. It has fun stuff in it, lots of snacks, and it's fun to get a surprise package full of goodies.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:40 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I don't do any of the monthly subscription boxes (obvious reasons), but I've been hooked on the weekly Graze.com boxes:
[vimeo]57603371[/vimeo]
Don't know if that works, but if not, the video is here: http://vimeo.com/57603371

Not all the snacks are vegan, but there's the option to "Trash" non-vegan food (as well as gluten if you're inclined) and it still leaves almost 100 snacks that randomly appear each week. Usually you get one trail-mixy thing, one dried fruity thing, one chocolatey thing, and mini granola bars or some crunchy/carby/spicy thing.

It's $5 a week, shipped. Your first and fifth boxes are free, but there's no contract or anything, just quit when you want.

Bad news is that it's invite only, and originally they gave me 4 invites, but now it says you can only invite one friend. I found it through a blog, so surely there are invites out there. If you find an invite, give it a try! Have it sent to your office, and your coworkers will be über jealous.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:52 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Forgot to talk about my first Vegan Cuts snack box! It was pretty cool. I still haven't eaten most of it, because a lot of it was sweets, and I don't eat a lot of sweets, but there were these coconut chips in there that are TO DIE FOR. It was fun because I've never seen any of the products here (woo, WV), so it was probably worth the $20 for the whole thing. I'm keeping it for a bit to see what develops!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:15 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

quagga wrote:
Here is their follow-up statement, which I believe was sincere:
Quote:
"Hey Everyone - This is Jesse, the customer service rep most of you know and who deals with 98% of the emails. We're not sure who posted our earlier comment, but we assume it was a joke (yes, in very, very bad taste). As the CSR behind most of Conscious Box and as one of the co-Founders, I wanted to hop on here and personally apologize on behalf of Conscious Box. Beeswax is not vegan. We'll send a correction email with the packing list, and we hope those of you who are vegan and received the box can gift this item to a non-vegan friend. We're very sorry for having this happen, and we'll take extra care to figure out why and how it even occurred.

This is different because when I first mentioned the bee product thing (before the vegan box) they said their vegan staff loves stuff with beeswax and honey...Um?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:25 pm 
WRETCHED

So I got my box and I think it is ok, but not sure if the value adds up to the price although I'm generally cheap. It is an interesting concept to try a few things that I might not normally.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:53 pm 

I think it's a good deal for $20 (last month's anyway), since it includes shipping which would probably be between $3-5.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:24 pm 
WRETCHED

I was just figuring 7 full size items at $2/each and a couple little things pretty much evens out or so. I also figured it was a way for them to get you to buy stuff from their website so the box is meant to have you sample things that maybe they'd be slightly more generous.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:32 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I received my first box from Vegan Cuts and it made me happy like a five year old. It's small for 20 $ + 8 $ for shipping to Canada, but discovering Cheddar puffs, marshmallows and milk chocolate Easter eggs in it made my day (I suppose I was expecting bars made from raw carrot peelings). Caramel-coconut popcorn and falafel chips also look good.

There were about 10 things in the box, most of them sample size and about two standard size. Some items were not snacks (egg replacer and face wash), but nice anyway (this way I can try egg replacer without buying a whole box).

I'd say this box is ideal for people like me who live alone, love surprises, have no allergies and like eating just about anything. The only other vegan snack box delivering to Canada is Healthy Surprise, which is bigger but also more expensive.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:17 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

i just received a promotional Conscious Box (please note that I signed up for the free box before I realized there was feedback floating around). I did let them know I was vegan (and not just on the form) and haven't seen anything non-vegan or suspicious in my box itself. It's cute, but pretty small and there's nothing I'm that excited about yet. I'll post pictures at some point. I realize I'm not their target market because I only buy really, really specialty products online (hello, if there's a vegan-friendly modernist pantry sampler, I'm in).

A site rant is that it's one of my biggest pet peeves when someone receives a comp box from one of these companies on instagram/twitter and doesn't disclose that it was a promo box. Just saying!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:11 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I received my Vegan Cuts box yesterday and one of the items is Teese cheese sauce that comes in a little log looking thing and is not refrigerated. I am super creeped out by it. Has anyone tried it? I'm afraid it's going to taste like the gross orange glop that comes on nachos at the movies. The package is opaque so I can't see what color it is or anything.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:23 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

They billed me but never said they shipped it. I'm canceling after I finally get mine this month.

ETA: Sorry, to be more specific, I mean Vegan Cuts.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:19 am 
ugh

Dave the Cat wrote:
I received my Vegan Cuts box yesterday and one of the items is Teese cheese sauce that comes in a little log looking thing and is not refrigerated. I am super creeped out by it. Has anyone tried it? I'm afraid it's going to taste like the gross orange glop that comes on nachos at the movies. The package is opaque so I can't see what color it is or anything.

That's pretty much exactly what it tastes like. I actually enjoy that kind of junk food though, once in awhile! I'm impressed that they put a full size one in the box.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:42 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I guess it wouldn't kill me to try it. I'll make some nachos eventually.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next