| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Monthy Vegan snack box?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:37 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I think Vegan Cuts has caved to being more 'natural'/healthy with both of their boxes, hence the constant inclusion of protein powders and things like that. I'm always kind of surprised when they include things like soda and chips because of that.

This makes sense, but it bums me out. I want SNACKS! And yes, there are healthy snacks that are delicious, and I'm totally good with those. But all the protein powders and supplements and dream water and superfood hemp algae sprinkle stuff is making me reconsider our subscription.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:44 am 
Nooch of Earl

Yeah, the protein powders normally annoy me, though at the moment I'm basketball pregnant and living out of a hotel in a country whose idea of vegan food is vegetables and pasta, so it's actually welcome! The superfoods and other random drink powders though… I guess I'll blend them into things for the sake of using them up, but I'd rather have more of those chocolate coconut candies. Actually they could pretty much fill the box with just those and I'd be thrilled.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:26 am 
Huffs Nooch

I'd be happy if they just sent several bags of the earth balance cheddar chips every month.

I definitely don't think this box was worth anywhere near $20.. although according to this review (http://www.helloprettybird.com/2014/04/ ... eview.html) the straw alone has a value of over $7. Please don't send any more $7 straws.. I want snacks. The oat cereal thing was ok in a pinch I guess, but the same review says it cost $4?? Who would pay $4 each to eat cold bitter oatmeal with an ant's shovel?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:40 am 
Cranky

I really like the oatmeal (I haven't tried this flavor, but the first one they sent way back is super tasty), and it actually does cost $4. It has a lot of protein and can be made instantly hot or cold, so I sometimes buy it when I find it, but I can't afford it regularly.

That said, this month's box was super disappointing. I don't care about the straw, and I haven't used any of the protein powders yet. If things continue in this direction, I'll likely cancel my subscription.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:07 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

BowToLordSeitan wrote:
I'd be happy if they just sent several bags of the earth balance cheddar chips every month.

I definitely don't think this box was worth anywhere near $20.. although according to this review (http://www.helloprettybird.com/2014/04/ ... eview.html) the straw alone has a value of over $7. Please don't send any more $7 straws.. I want snacks. The oat cereal thing was ok in a pinch I guess, but the same review says it cost $4?? Who would pay $4 each to eat cold bitter oatmeal with an ant's shovel?

I'm with you, except, why would you eat the oatmeal cold?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:10 pm 
Cranky

ijustdiedinside wrote:

It's really convenient when you don't have access to hot water!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:27 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Apparently this month's box was curated by the Eco Vegan Gal, so that would explain the extra hippiness.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:28 pm 
Huffs Nooch

ijustdiedinside wrote:
BowToLordSeitan wrote:

The instructions said to just add cold water, so that's how I ate it.

I imagine it's better heated.. but there's still no way I'd pay $4 for a small cup of instant oatmeal.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:15 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Apparently this month's box was curated by the Eco Vegan Gal, so that would explain the extra hippiness.

I was just looking at that in the review that was posted. I was following her on FB and she's pretty super-healthy-super-hippie-super-organic all the things. I do really like the look of the glass straw.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:15 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Is there a junk food vegan blogger who can make next month's box? I think this is probably the most disappointing one yet, for me.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:22 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

i signed up for a free graze box. after going to the store and seeing 90% of the healthy snacks contain amaranth and quinoa right now i cannot have anything. also all the trail mixes usually have apricots, i had two bad acid reflux type things happen when i had dried apricots...

i like that i was able to trash things with apricots and things i will not use (popcorn, i do not use a microwave)...i also found honeycomb in one product after trashing all stuff not vegan, but that seemed to be the only thing that came up.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:26 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Trash Seedsation, it's like eating depression.

But in general I loved graze - I just wished it were possible to get bigger portions! I needed a gobble box. They don't ship to APOs though, so I had to give it up.

So I finally got the April VC box and maybe the soy cheese stands alone but I really liked everything in it. I even liked the idea of the reusable straw, until my toddler dropped it on a tile floor and it broke. Acrylic or metal or something would've been a better idea. It wasn't the most exciting box, but unlike most of them there wasn't anything I had to force myself to use. Even the protein powder was a relatively decent, minimally gritty one.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:05 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm much more pleased with this box than the past couple. Besides the hot chocolate, which is appealing (though maybe less so in May), it's all actual food stuff.

I guess you all got the email about the potential non-vegan Saffron Road sauce? I got the lemongrass basil, so no problem over here, but it sounds like the voucher is probably worth the equivalent of two or three packets.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:28 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm really enjoying the graze box. Last month, I bumped up to twice a month. I like having options to trash/like/love things so I have some control over what they send. Cheap way to have interesting healthy snacks on hand!

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:45 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

creep wrote:

I guess you all got the email about the potential non-vegan Saffron Road sauce? I got the lemongrass basil, so no problem over here, but it sounds like the voucher is probably worth the equivalent of two or three packets.

I got the stupid non-vegan one. I filled out the online form for the coupon but honestly I'll probably never go out of my way to look for that stuff at the store. It's not something I would normally buy but I would have tried it from the snack box. I would have rather gotten a partial refund from Vegan Cuts.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:59 am 
Nooch of Earl

I'm really kind of surprised they shipped that out without noticing! I'll probably feed it to my o-l-veg husband if I get the non-vegan one, so it's not the end of the world, but I won't be able to use the coupon here. Fingers crossed I get a vegan sauce!!

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:52 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Didn't get the non-vegan one,, but I think they at least did a good job of getting the word out quickly and taking care of it.

I haven't tried much yet but this months box looks so much better than the last couple months. No protein powder!! The lemon fig bar is really good.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:18 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

We got a vegan sauce, thankfully. This month's box is nice, however we did cancel out subscription. We just don't need the extra stuff.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:21 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

i dont get any emails from them because we got the subscription as a gift. i also didn't get my box yet. dammit, i want snacks.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:33 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Both chips are really good. I've never seen the ranch beanitos.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:53 am 
Nooch of Earl

My box isn't here yet but I saw the preview video. I haven't tried the lemon flavor, but used to get those fig bars from Costco. They're good and I can't buy them here but part of me is like, I want neeeeew stuff. The olives I saw at the commissary yesterday, so it's nice to know I have a hookup but I do kind of wish it were something I couldn't go out and buy locally. Plus, between the olives and pizza dough I'm kind of like, uh, I live in Naples. I can't blame them for that, but all these factors are making it not-so-exciting.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:20 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I really liked the Indian snack mix. It's funny though, there is no information on it, even on the company's website. The package suggests it's airline food.

The fig bars are on amazon, I already ordered some more of them.. they're really good.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:22 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

BowToLordSeitan wrote:
I really liked the Indian snack mix. It's funny though, there is no information on it, even on the company's website. The package suggests it's airline food.

That was a little concerning for me. Like, we all know it's vegan, but what about allergies? I'm allergic to peanuts, couldn't tell through the package if there were cashews or peanuts in there.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:34 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

creep wrote:
BowToLordSeitan wrote:

That was a little concerning for me. Like, we all know it's vegan, but what about allergies? I'm allergic to peanuts, couldn't tell through the package if there were cashews or peanuts in there.

There were at least cashews. I just tried it and hated it. It was in between sweet and savory, and I don't like cashews.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:37 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

still waiting for my first graze box...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next