| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: It's the Christmas menu thread
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:35 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Apologies if this has already been started somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Anyway, for those who celebrate Christmas (or at least make it a food holiday like we do), what are your ideas for your Christmas menu?

I'm thinking of making VB Cinnamon Rolls for breakfast. Our main meal will probably be at lunch and I'd like to do some kind of crusted tofu, like walnut or another nut, with a cranberry sauce. Does anyone have any good recipe suggestions for this? I'm planning on doing some green beans, some other roasted vegies, polenta stuffing (AFR) and maybe that sweet potato/marshmallow thing that you guys do here in the US for Thanksgiving. But just on this - is that really any good? My husband at it at someone's house on Thanksgiving and he loves it. Our WF sells vegan marshmallows (very prominently for Christmas I was pleased to see) so I thought I could find a recipe and veganise it.

And of course, cookies and some kind of dessert. Probably Vpits Pumpkin Cheesecake since I did the Voluptuous Pumpkin Pie for Thanksgiving.

We have no extended family around this year for the first time ever and I'm pretty excited. Ha! Planning on cooking, eating and watching my kids play with their toys all day. :)

Post subject: Re: It's the Christmas menu thread
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:42 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

AusFox wrote:
...and maybe that sweet potato/marshmallow thing that you guys do here in the US for Thanksgiving. But just on this - is that really any good?

If you like sweet potatoes, then it is a must! My grandma always made a non-vegan version of this on Thanksgiving, so I finally veganized it this year. I baked 3 foil wrapped sweet potatoes until then were tender, then scooped out the insides into a bowl. I mashed them with a few tbsps of Earth Balance, a generous drizzle of maple syrup, some toasted walnuts, and some cinnamon and allspice. Then I transferred that to a glas baking dish and topped with Dandies and baked until the Dandies were nice and brown on top. SO GOOD. The Dandies were a bit sweeter than regular marshmallows IMO, so you may not even need to add the maple syrup to the potatoes.

This is my first family-free Christmas, too, and I honestly could not be more excited about that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:44 pm 
Nailed to the V

I'm biased because this is my recipe, but here's a link to a nut crusted tofu recipe: http://www.frontiercoop.com/store.php?S ... recipe=530 I actually like these with mango chutney, so I'm sure cranberry sauce would be good. (Not sure where the ranch dressing idea came from).

We are doing a Christmas Eve open house this year and I'm trying to come up with ideas for omni friendly munchies that can be made a day in advance. So far, all I've decided on is eggplant caponata.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:18 pm 
Impressive boner

I'll be making smoked tofu pie with roast potatoes and veggies, followed by Christmas pudding and custard. I've tried to be too fancy for the last two years which hasn't turned out well, so will be going with something delicious and reliable this time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:28 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I dont really celebrate xmas, but i do celebrate by enjoying a couple of days off from work, eating and drinking.

I kind of went overboard at thanksgiving and cooked for 4-5 hours and didnt really enjoy myself.

For xmas, i still want to do something special, something more labor intensive and rewarding than my typical 30-minute-weeknight meal, but not extreme (there are only 2 of us to eat after all)

Think i will do a latin (mini) feast. Might try tamales (the day previous) or Enchiladas. and rice and beans of course. My partner has been requesting that i make the tres leche cake, so i might do that (the day before) as well.

Also, he said he would help me if we made tamales, so that could be fun.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:32 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I've been working on this for part of the day so I can put off learning about the GI system for my test next week. :P So far, here's what I've come up with:

Christmas Eve we usually do a meal of appetizers, cookies, and candies. There will be some non-vegan holiday standards that my mom makes for my dad and brothers, but I plan on making:
Fruitcake Bars from VCIYCJ
Emeril's Candy Cane Cocktail
Some sort of vegan nog... maybe the one from the PPK?
No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
Candy of some sort, perhaps
Kale Spread from 500 Vegan Recipes
Vegan Liverwurst from World Vegan Feast
Maybe another savory appetizery type thing... like the Mediterranean rolls from 500 Vegan Recipes.

Christmas Day, I was thinking for brunch we'd have the Coconut Brulee Oatmeal from Hearty Vegan Meals. People are usually too busy eating chocolate from their stockings to worry about eating a proper breakfast that day anyway. For the actual Christmas meal, we're probably having:

Brussels sprout crema from World Vegan Feast (might have to change depending on if I think people will turn their noses up at it after talking to my mom)
Apricot seitan roast from 500 Vegan Recipes (I'm testing it tomorrow to see how it is)
Vidalia onion sauce from Veganomicon
Cranberry sauce (probably also V'con)
Acorn squash with pecan-cherry stuffing from Urban Vegan
Green bean mushroom casserole from the PPK
Creamed corn from 500 Vegan Recipes (I might skip this)
Cranberry Upside Down Cake from Urban Vegan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:57 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'm voting for Christmas enchiladas. We will be with my parents though, so I have some convincing to do.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:01 pm 
Semen Strong

This thread is full of deliciousness! I am going to be at home alone with my husband and baby and excited to make something supersimple and yummy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:11 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

kimba wrote:
I'm voting for Christmas enchiladas. We will be with my parents though, so I have some convincing to do.

Yup. Half green sauce and half red sauce is what I am thinking now. festive and cheesy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:11 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Since my little sister is in the "process" of finally going vegetarian, the vegans/vegetarians outnumber the omnis 3-2 and we're having a mostly vegan xmas (on the 25th)!

I really want to make the main but my mum is kind of crazy about that because it's her kitchen, so she'll probably make a nut roast (she's obsessed with her British vegetarian magazine recipes), gravy, and some side dishes. My boyfriend and I will make some sort of potatoes, and roasted veggies. I don't really get excited about desserts, so the baking my mum makes probably won't be vegan, but she has been known to make vegan truffles and I won't say no to those. I might make a VPITS pie.

I want to make stuff from World Vegan Feast but I have the unavailability of many ingredients in my parents' home town and the kitchen-sharing conundrum to work with, so I'll pretty much mostly just sit back and hope for the best. Which will be fine.

A few days after Christmas my other sister and her husband who LOVE meat will be coming and they're going to have a turkey dinner then, but my boyfriend and I are escaping to a national park getaway that night to go snow shoeing and cross-country skiing. On the whole, my family is pretty good about working this out so everyone is happy.

Last edited by vijita on Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:12 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Freetahtah wrote:
Brussels sprout crema from World Vegan Feast (might have to change depending on if I think people will turn their noses up at it after talking to my mom)

It's soooo good! Risk it!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:14 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

As we are partying the whole Christmas thing on 24th of December I already had to come up with my plan:
For brunch I'll have vegan Bavarian white sausages (prepacked ones) and weenies (as this is our traditional Christmas brunch), of course with beer and pretzels.

In the evening we'll be having raclette and I'll use No Muh Due instead of raclette cheese. I still wonder whether I should try those vegan king prawns with it.
I'll make pizza dough monkey bread, one filled with garlic, one with Italian tomato sauce. And sliced baked potatoes, I think they would be perfect for raclette.
I will also add some sauces: babaganoush and humus and maybe this Georgian walnut and parsley sauce. I am still thinking about some appetizers.
For dessert we usually have fruit, ice cream or cookies.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:48 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Not sure of the rest of the menu, but i will DEFINITELY be making Isa's seitan roast again -- it was a tremendous hit at Thanksgiving!

http://www.theppk.com/2011/11/seitan-ro ... and-leeks/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:56 pm 
Wal-Mart's White Knight

I'm helping the in-laws out with their Christmas party for... 30? 40? 50 people? I'm thinking maybe a taco bar with tempeh, jackfruit and black bean and potato fillings, but the prospect of making a metric ton of tortillas is a bit daunting, and the store-bought ones with the shelf life of Twinkies ain't happening. Maybe a monster batch of samosas as well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:09 pm 
Wal-Mart's White Knight

Oh, and I might have a crack at Karena's cheese wheel, though there's likely to be a grand worth of real live local nipple cheese strewn about the joint.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:34 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

lathandplaster wrote:
Not sure of the rest of the menu, but i will DEFINITELY be making Isa's seitan roast again -- it was a tremendous hit at Thanksgiving!

I'd like to try this sometime, but I'm not really a big seitan fan. Nobody kick me, but I've only ever had the Westsoy stuff that they sell at Wholefoods. I don't want to make this for the first time for a big day and then be disappointed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:02 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Ooh yay, I've been compiling my menu all day. I'm using all (for the most part) Isa-recipes, only because I know they're consistently AWESOME. Also, I'm kind of a beginner cook, so even though some of this stuff is a little above my usual difficulty level, it'll be a challenge without the possibility of total failure. So here's my final menu:

-Field Roast en Croute (Whole Foods accidentally gave me 2 of these in my Thanksgiving order so I froze one! It's so delicious, my omni brother and I agree it tastes exactly like Chef Boyardee meatballs. In a good way!)
-Cornbread Stuffing with Pears and Pecans stuffed into Acorn Squash (for my mom, who is a new vegan and didn't like the Field Roast [I know, right?!])
-Green Bean Casserole
-Mashed Potatoes
-Mac and Cheese (For Thanksgiving I used the recipe on Daiya's website but used a Cheddar/Pepperjack combo. My omni brother ate most of it, more than I did. And his wife loved it as well. Total success, but this time I GET SOME, TOO, YOU GUYS.)

For dessert-y things I'm totally going to eat for breakfast and dinner multiple nights in a row:

-Peanut Butter Chocolate Pillows
-Orange Cranberry Muffins (My mom loves cranberries, so...)
-Pumpkin Cheesecake with Pecan Topping

I still kind of want to make a carrot cake, but maybe I'll save that for my brother's birthday in February (it's the only way he'd ever eat a carrot).

Also I'm going to pick up some rolls from Whole Foods. My dad is obsessed with them and has promised his buddies at work that he'd bring them some. So I'll be buying, like, 6 dozen. Sweet.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:34 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I'm still not sure about everything, but I will definitely be making tamales.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:51 pm 
Wal-Mart's White Knight

mixmaster_mo wrote:

Ooooooooh. Possible game changer. But OG masa is like hen's teeth in these parts. Got a recipe you like that doesn't require nixtamal or whatever?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:36 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

mixmaster_mo wrote:

Mo! I need to know how to make vegan tamales! I would love to attempt it this year. Any good recipes that you know of?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:43 pm 
Chip Strong

We usually just have brunch with banana walnut pancakes, chocolate chip scones, omelets and some kind of sausage; and then order chinese food for dinner. it's so less stressful

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:51 pm 
Huffs Nooch

AusFox wrote:
lathandplaster wrote:

I'd like to try this sometime, but I'm not really a big seitan fan. Nobody kick me, but I've only ever had the Westsoy stuff that they sell at Wholefoods. I don't want to make this for the first time for a big day and then be disappointed.

The Westsoy stuff really bears no resemblance to this roast. It's really much more like Tofurkey (but better).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My family is switching Christmas and Christmas Eve (my brother's birthday) this year so we can make it to church on Christmas day without having to worry about doing a lot of cooking. So on Christmas day we will be having tomato soup and grilled cheese sammiches. I'll actually probably have tortilla soup since I'd have to make my own non-milk soup anyway.

For the "big" meal the day before, I usually do chickpea cutlets, cornbread stuffing, kale salad, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, potatoes/gravy. But, I'm thinking about making the leek and bean cassoulet this year.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:23 pm 
Saggy Butt

i don't celebrate christmas but i'm having friends over for a cocktail party a few days beforehand.

i plan to make:
some kind of sushi
mini crab cakes
spring rolls (these i will buy & reheat to save the trouble of deep frying)
possibly some kind of stuffed mushrooms?
white bean basil dip
chipotle hummus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:23 pm 
Saggy Butt

oh and mini quiches!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next