| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ideas needed for wedding-themed dessert party
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:11 pm 
Tofu Pup

I am just drawing a huge blank. I've been invited to a friend's annual dessert party. The theme this year is wedding desserts. It's a fairly competitive party, with prizes being handed out for taste, look and creativity. The other guests are non-veg and I do get razzed pretty hard (one of them always likes to point out that all good desserts start with real butter -- it's fairly obnoxious). I actually won last year in one of the taste categories with margarita cupcakes.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Ideas needed for wedding-themed dessert party
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:21 pm 
Semen Strong

I would do Mexican Wedding Cookies but I am not a creative baker. But you could twist it up!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:25 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

How about some sort of chocolate lava cake, with a scoop of raspberry sorbet or frozen yogurt on top. Garnish is a simple chocolate heart, piped from melted chocolate in plastic bag, piped onto waxed paper and chilled til firm. Make sure your lines are fairly wide, so they are not so fragile when you peel the paper off.

Stick them in point down, into the sorbet/yogurt.

For extra pizzazz, make a raspberry coulis (raspberries, water, sugar, cooked for a while in a heavy bottom pot, so it doesn't scorch, then strain out the seeds). Put into a squeeze bottle or plastic bag, pipe wide zigzags on the plate before setting the cake and sorbet on top.

You have the classic raspberry/choc combo, red for love and the holidays, the heart for love, too. No need to mention it's vegan until after you win...! :)

http://alinaspencil.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:29 pm 
And you never will.

Raspberry Amaretto petit fours! Especially with little flowers on (something easy to pipe like sweetpeas, or maybe marzipan roses).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:51 pm 
Tofu Pup

Great ideas so far! Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:01 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I love poopiebitch's idea! I would do the outside with marzipan strips and make a bow so they look like little presents.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:12 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

maybe little mini wedding cakes? a rolled cookie, like a sugar cookie, cut in 3 different circle sizes, stacked and decorated with piped icing?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:13 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

oh, and ps. that's an awesome idea for a party! what have other themes been? i totally want to have my own now!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:34 pm 
Tofu Pup

littlebird wrote:
oh, and ps. that's an awesome idea for a party! what have other themes been? i totally want to have my own now!

If I recall correctly, last year's theme was "Desserts You'd Eat In Paradise"

The first year she hosted, she didn't have a theme, but a strict rule that everything be made from scratch (ie, no mixes). She's kept that rule in subsequent parties, but now adding overall themes. She goes to the extent of sending fancy mailed invitations.

The wedding theme for the upcoming party was actually my idea. Two sets of the invitees are getting married in the coming months. Seemed like an appropriate theme!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:30 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

gingerbread people who can be coupled off

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:43 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Oh, I like the gingerbread couples, petit fours, and tiny wedding cakes! Could you make tiny tiered petit fours so they look like baby wedding cakes? I am not sure if that would be too fussy.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:01 am 
Tofu Pup

stellamarie wrote:
Oh, I like the gingerbread couples, petit fours, and tiny wedding cakes! Could you make tiny tiered petit fours so they look like baby wedding cakes? I am not sure if that would be too fussy.

I love the idea, don't know if my meager baking talents extend that far. :-)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:14 am 
Inflexitarian

misterrachel wrote:
I am just drawing a huge blank. I've been invited to a friend's annual dessert party. The theme this year is wedding desserts. It's a fairly competitive party, with prizes being handed out for taste, look and creativity. The other guests are non-veg and I do get razzed pretty hard (one of them always likes to point out that all good desserts start with real butter -- it's fairly obnoxious). I actually won last year in one of the taste categories with margarita cupcakes.

no suggestions, but curious...how does the judging work? it's great you won--with the razzing, etc, how does the contest avoid anti-vegan bias? And I guess you don't get to taste the other creations if you are vegan, sadly. I have been invited to a mac and cheese bake-off years ago but I was too intimidated. More power to you for going out and representing and winning!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:15 am 
Tofu Pup

JillW wrote:
misterrachel wrote:

no suggestions, but curious...how does the judging work? it's great you won--with the razzing, etc, how does the contest avoid anti-vegan bias? And I guess you don't get to taste the other creations if you are vegan, sadly. I have been invited to a mac and cheese bake-off years ago but I was too intimidated. More power to you for going out and representing and winning!

The host has everyone leave their entries on a table in the front hall (only allowing one person to enter at a time). She then arranges all entries in the dining room with an empty voting cup at each dessert. She hands out voting markers for each category. So, if you liked a dessert for "best tasting" you'd put that particular tab in the corresponding cup.

It's not a perfect system, but it seems to help maintain some degree of anonymity (at first, anyway).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:40 am 
Nooch of Earl

There are cake pans that look like mini wedding cakes, but I haven't used them.. You could probably get the same effect with ring shaped cookie cutters of a few different sizes used to cut a bigger layer cake/brownie/etc.

At my wedding we had an amazing dessert buffet with cookies, fruit gels (with pectin) in the wedding colors, little chocolate shot glass type cups filled with chocolate mousse, mini cannolis, and of course cake.

But things that come to mind (without my knowing the feasibility of them):

- ball and chains? You could do truffle balls with marzipan chain links?
- cupcakes with rock candy diamond rings?
- stained glass window cookies (kind of church-themed) (you make cutout cookies and melt crushed hard candy in them when you bake them)
- anything with hearts, flowers, or made to look like a gift box - lots of opportunities for little cakes?
- something champagne flavored?

These are so cute: http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/22 ... ide=115149 you would obviously have to change the recipe a lot, but you could maybe do a champagne flavored vegan mousse? Yumyumyum.