| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2013 Resolution: Eat more bowls! Share your combos
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:53 pm 
Inflexitarian

A made a good combo today: wild rice, chickpeas, roasted beetroot and a creamy herb sauce made out of silken tofu, basil, parsley, and some other stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:55 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I am eating the most delicious bowl of salady food at the moment - grated beetroot and courgette, chopped little gem lettuce, fancy tomatoes (various), and cold boiled new potatoes, in a dressing made from silken tofu, carrots, ginger, garlic, chipotle paste and summer squash & onion pickles. Sprinkle of chopped green olives and smoked paprika on top.

ETA: oh yeah, chopped red pepper too, I forgot.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:41 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Brown rice, curry baked tofu, roasted chickpeas, roasted sweet potato, steamed broccoli, and citrus-date-sesame sauce from VCON. Yes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:39 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Lunch today: caulipots and chickpea gravy topped with popcorn tofu and maple eggplant bacon. So much yum.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:52 pm 
Nailed to the V

i just have to say - isa needs to make only a bowl cookbook :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:29 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

daisysunshine wrote:

I would be all over a bowl cookbook! I remember these picture books from when I was a kid that were spiral bound and each page was split horizontally into a top middle and bottom section and you could flip the pages to match up different heads, bodies and feet and make different characters. I think someone should do a bowl cookbook like that, with the page split in four - sauces and dressings at the top, then greens, veg, protein and grains - where you could flip and match different bowl combos and on each page spread there'd be photos on the left and the recipes on the right. I would buy that book in a heartbeat.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:56 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Karena wrote:
daisysunshine wrote:

I would be all over a bowl cookbook! I remember these picture books from when I was a kid that were spiral bound and each page was split horizontally into a top middle and bottom section and you could flip the pages to match up different heads, bodies and feet and make different characters. I think someone should do a bowl cookbook like that, with the page split in four - sauces and dressings at the top, then greens, veg, protein and grains - where you could flip and match different bowl combos and on each page spread there'd be photos on the left and the recipes on the right. I would buy that book in a heartbeat.

That's a crazy good idea! I'd buy that too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:23 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Zula wrote:
Karena wrote:
daisysunshine wrote:

Seriously, someone needs to make this happen!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:35 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Zula wrote:
Karena wrote:
daisysunshine wrote:

Or even a "bowl studio" website, a la the "magical loaf studio". . . you could input what proteins/grains/veggies you have on hand, and what type of cuisine you're wanting (Indian, soul food, Thai, Mexican, whatev), and it'll magically give you a recipe. That would be so rad.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Ooooooh, a magical bowl studio website would be so awesome!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:05 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Ended up with this the other night, hope i can replicate it again, it was amazing. wild rice + sweet potato with some small beet chunks and zucchini added later in cooking time. after cooked, added miso, nooch, tamari, fresh ginger, leek, drizzle of toasted pumpkin seed oil and drizzle of toasted walnut oil, top it off with umeboshi plum vinegar. may have also added toasted sunflower seeds, dont remember. YUM

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:11 pm 
Nailed to the V

:) I keep checking here for bowl combos (sauce recipes mostly). some of the things you guys come up sound SO simple, but my mind never comes up with simple. next year i'd really like to eat tonnes of bowls :) so keep it coming.

(a bowl studio website and a flip bowl book would be awesome too!)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:14 pm 
***LIES!!!***

This is my favorite bowl sauce: http://www.yourveganmom.com/your_vegan_ ... oking.html
Creamy, delicious, easy ingredients, heavy on the protein. I cut down a little farther on the oil.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:08 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Ariann wrote:
This is my favorite bowl sauce: http://www.yourveganmom.com/your_vegan_ ... oking.html
Creamy, delicious, easy ingredients, heavy on the protein. I cut down a little farther on the oil.

That sounds really good, and easy to change up the flavors.

I love that it's high protein. I'm trying to do low carb, high protein, and that is really helpful.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:39 pm 
Nailed to the V

ooh that does sound num.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:38 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I made a gado gado bowl for lunch... Jasmine rice, thinly sliced raw cabbage, iceberg lettuce, lightly blanched julienned carrots and green beans, boiled and sliced new potatoes, tomato wedges, sliced cucumber, crispy tofu, drenched in spicy peanut sauce. The sauce I made was really simple - sauteed finely chopped onion and garlic, chopped peanuts, sriracha, rice wine vinegar, brown sugar, smooth peanut butter, vegetable stock and fresh lime juice. Quite runny so it drizzles through the mounds of veg!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:13 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Mmm, I love bowls! I made a cauliflower bean bowl last night- so delicious, and so cheap.
http://ourqueenskitchen.wordpress.com/2 ... 5-serving/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:45 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I had a decent one yesterday for lunch and dinner last night, mostly made from leftovers from taco night

-Cuban slow cooked beans
-Ancho Lentil Taco 'meat'
-Red and Green Cabbage with lime juice
-tomatoes
-Salsa
-some sour cream with Tapitio in it (like a spicy creamy sauce)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:08 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I was licking the bottom of my bowl last night....

I used leftover quinoa salad (Vcon recipe, but with dried cranberries instead of mangos, which aren't in season here)
Roasted red peppers and peas
Sliced Coriander Seitan cutlets (Vegan Eats World) fried up in a bit of sesame oil
The Peanut Sauce from Isa Does it.

I had the quinoa and the cutlets already on hand, so I just had to make the peppers/peas and sauce. Oh. My.Yum.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:45 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I started this thread and I definitely did not eat more bowls this year...dang! But I'm trying again. I think the key for me is to prep a bunch of stuff over the weekend and to have some sauces that I really like.

I would love for someone to make a magical bowl studio website! How would that work? I would be happy to contribute some sauces I've made to it.

Right now I have some leftover Mac and cheese sauce in the fridge that is crying out to be a bowl, but I don't have many veggies on hand at the moment. The carb part of me just wants to slather some white noodles with it, but the burned-out-on-holiday-food part of me needs veggies!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:22 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i hear ya, pickledtreats! this morning i made a basmati rice bowl with some leftover extra pot pie filling; i was feeling like i needed more veg so i sauteed some green beans and tossed them with a smidge of lemon juice and dumped everything over the rice. i bet pretty much any veg you've got would be rock'n with mac 'n cheese sauce. i don't have too many veggies right now either, but i'm going to have to make a run later today. i am with you on that burned-out-on-holiday-food feeling.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:36 am 
Not NOT A Furry

pickledtreats wrote:
I started this thread and I definitely did not eat more bowls this year...dang! But I'm trying again. I think the key for me is to prep a bunch of stuff over the weekend and to have some sauces that I really like.

I loved getting inspiration from this thread even though I didn't eat more bowls either! Trying again for 2014. And yup, I also think having some good sauces to turn to quickly is key.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:32 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Made a hacked version of the 'Good Gravy' bowl this evening:
-brown rice
-sauteed mustard greens
-breaded tofu
-miso gravy.

OMG- it was the perfect Today-Is-Grey-Tomorrow-is Monday meal and pushed all the right COMFORT buttons in my Midwestern heart.

Quote:

Yes! I've found the same thing's true for me too. I've got a few sauces that I like (usually a peanut-y sauce or hummus, though this miso gravy is definitely going to be added to the rotation) and I've started making ginormous amounts of rice (when I only need a bit) and freezing it for later in the week. It seems like such a small thing, but honestly, only thinking about protein+veg seems so much easier at the end of a workday. (Sometimes if it's been a particularly hellish day or if I'm feeling particularly lazy, I don't even 'make' a protein- just saute up some veggies and dump some tinned beans on top.)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:57 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

After eating at Native Foods several times while visiting the U.S. I am officially obsessed with the Mad Cowboy bowl. So I made it myself! SO good.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:19 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next