| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2013 Resolution: Eat more bowls! Share your combos
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:37 pm 
Naked Under Apron

j-dub wrote:
After eating at Native Foods several times while visiting the U.S. I am officially obsessed with the Mad Cowboy bowl. So I made it myself! SO good.

i totally looked this up and found a video that describes what the bowl is and then i found someone posted the recipe online. woooohoooo! now i'm going to make it myself as well. thanks for the delicious idea, j-dub!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:23 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Yay! That's how I made it. And it's super easy, too. I just put a couple potatoes in the oven, chopped up a bunch of veg to roast (broccoli, carrots, onions), slathered some tofu in bbq sauce and tossed in the oven then made the ranch sauce and it was done.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I HAD A BOWL! It was an incidental bowl, but an amazing bowl nonetheless. I made some tamales on NYE with a filling of sweet potato mashed with lime and then mixed with chipotle black eye peas and kale. The filling was amazing and as is the case with tamales (so I am told...this was my first time), there is always leftover filling.

I made various accoutrement to serve with the tamales, but I turned all of it into a bowl for breakfast:

- sweet potato, black eye pea, kale filling
- pickled cabbage
- pickled red onions
- fresh salsa made by my BFF who was visiting (cucumber, black eye peas, tomatoes, lime, onions, etc.)
- cashew crema
- cholula hot sauce
- crispy fried onions

IT WAS AMAZING. HAPPY NEW YEAR BOWL LOVERS.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

happyfaced wrote:
j-dub wrote:
After eating at Native Foods several times while visiting the U.S. I am officially obsessed with the Mad Cowboy bowl. So I made it myself! SO good.

i totally looked this up and found a video that describes what the bowl is and then i found someone posted the recipe online. woooohoooo! now i'm going to make it myself as well. thanks for the delicious idea, j-dub!

That sounds really good. I don't know if this is a Southern thing, but I used to get baked potatoes with pulled pork BBQ in college all the time, and that sounds like a good alternative.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:19 pm 
Naked Under Apron

i shared this in the "what's for dinner" thread, but i wanted to share it here as well.

bottom layer: smashed potatoes (using a handful of daiya cheddar, chopped up the green parts of 2 green onions, almond milk and earth balance)
and then: sauteed broccoli (sauteed with a smidge of olive oil, then just a squeeze of lemon juice and a pinch of sea salt one it was done)
and then: MBM's tempeh wings, but we made them smaller so they were more bite-sized
and finally: crispy shallots (deep fried battered shallot "rings") and cashew based ranch dressing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:01 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

OMG, happyfaced. That sounds so delicious! My mom brought me a jug of Frank's red hot from the states last year and it has just been waiting to become those wings. What Ranch recipe did you use?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:57 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I don't even like potatoes, but that sounds awesome!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:34 am 
Naked Under Apron

pickledtreats wrote:
OMG, happyfaced. That sounds so delicious! My mom brought me a jug of Frank's red hot from the states last year and it has just been waiting to become those wings. What Ranch recipe did you use?

i made my own - blended up some soaked raw cashews (maybe a 1/3 of a cup), added 2 tbsp vegenaise (totally optional), and about 1/4 cup water (plus or minus a few tbsp, i'm thinking - it took me a bit to get the consistency i wanted). once blended until smooth i added a few pinches of black pepper, sea salt, a little oregano, basil, parsley (dried, and optional), garlic 'n onion powder. if it's too thick add more almond milk, if it's too thin you can add more cashews or vegenaise.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:08 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I'm ready for my bowls, Mr. DeMille...

I love a nice big bowl for my bowls, but up until yesterday I only had one, so whenever that bowl was in the dishwasher or otherwise occupied, I had to make do with shallow pasta dishes. I've been looking for the perfect-sized bowl for a while now, and suspected Asian supermarkets would be the place to go, but until now I kept only finding the small soup bowls you get in Chinese restaurants or giant serving bowls. Yesterday I finally found these! Perfect size (17 cm) and shape! Can't wait to make my next bowl! (And I've recently rediscovered Isa's Red Hot Tahini Sauce, so I think that'll be heavily featured!)

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:28 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I've been eating nothing but bowls this week! My two combos:

Brown rice, steamed brussels sprouts, crispy tofu (pressed cubes rolled in cornstarch and then shallow fried), and the peanut sauce from 30 Minute Vegan's Taste of the East. So so good, especially since I used coconut peanut butter.

Millet, steamed broccoli, VCON chickpea cutlets, and red hot tahini. Yes yes yes.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:47 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

edited out...had to google coconut peanut butter...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:59 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Tonight's bowl: brown rice noodles with smokey marinated tempeh (marinade was the same as the tempeh bacon marinade from VB, but the tempeh was cut in thick rounds instead of strips) and carrot rounds on a bed of arugula with Isa's Red Hot Tahini Sauce. And there was enough left over for lunch tomorrow!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:29 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I made two great bowls this week!

miso baked tofu, red rice, coconut kale from VEW, shredded carrot, avocado and peanut sauce

chipotle black beans from Vcon, quinoa, lime kale, orange sweet potatoes, and avocado

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:34 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I haven't had time to read through this yet, but wanted to share my new favorite bowl!

Fajita Bowl =
Cooked red and green bell peppers, onions, and beyond meat chicken strips in fajita seasoning. Then I melted some daiya cheddar slices on top. Layer mixture over rice. Top with salsa fresca, toffuti sour cream, and guacamole.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:20 am 
Saggy Butt

I made a deconstructed falafel bowl on the weekend, it was really good, although I can't believe I forgot pickles. http://www.cookbookaficionado.com/deconstructed-falafel-bowl/

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:27 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

That falafel bowl looks amazing, MM.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:07 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I deconstructed the Ethiopan wrap from VSSTD and made it into a bowl. It was awesome - I need to get more into Ethiopian dishes.

I'm finding that thinking about sandwiches as bowls is opening up a whole new world of possibilities to me, which is great because I feel I need to progress beyond my tofu, broccoli, quinoa, misotahini standby.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:17 am 
Not NOT A Furry

emmalv wrote:
I deconstructed the Ethiopan wrap from VSSTD and made it into a bowl. It was awesome - I need to get more into Ethiopian dishes.

I'm finding that thinking about sandwiches as bowls is opening up a whole new world of possibilities to me, which is great because I feel I need to progress beyond my tofu, broccoli, quinoa, misotahini standby.

Exactly, me too! I love the mango wraps as a bowl over rice--the sauce is truly excellent so I just add some tofu or beans and shredded carrot. I'll have to try the Ethiopian one now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:25 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I made two more last night for future meals:

Black beans in taco seasoning, brown rice, steamed green beans, nacho sauce from YRR.

Baked falafel, bulgur, steamed spinach, tahini sauce from VWAV.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:23 pm 
Saggy Butt

allularpunk wrote:

Thanks! I was pretty stoked that I was able to find pickled turnip, it's not falafel without it.

I've got some kimchi stuffed sausages in the freezer I want to use in a bowl, any thoughts as to what would go with kimchi?

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:27 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Maggie Muggins wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

Thanks! I was pretty stoked that I was able to find pickled turnip, it's not falafel without it.

I've got some kimchi stuffed sausages in the freezer I want to use in a bowl, any thoughts as to what would go with kimchi?

I love it with brown rice, tons of green onions, sesame spinach or sui choi, peppers, and an omelette if you're up to making more components. (I think it's from VB.) Or silken tofu chunks. Soooo good.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:51 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Is pickled turnip on falafel a regional thing? I've never heard of that. That bowl does look and sound awesome BTW :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:58 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Every falafel place around here has pickled kholrabi and pickled carrots. Some also have pickled purple cauliflower (the purple is color, not natural, and I keep trying to ask what makes it purple but they won't tell me grrr!)

No turnips though...they aren't native to the Middle East..in fact I don't know that I've ever even seen one in the market.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:15 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Interesting. I've never had (or seen or heard of) a falafel with pickled anything on it. Just lettuce, tomato, onion, and sometimes parsley. And garlic sauce, but I put unholy amounts of baba ghanoush on mine. Especially tasty with sriracha.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:17 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The falafel wraps I get when I'm at the office come with pickled cabbage. It totally makes the wrap.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next