| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2013 Resolution: Eat more bowls! Share your combos
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:11 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

I made Peanut Satay Dragon Bowl tonight (though I used tempeh and swapped the veg around to suit what I had in the fridge). 4.5 stars, would nom again.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:44 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

joshua wrote:
I made Peanut Satay Dragon Bowl tonight (though I used tempeh and swapped the veg around to suit what I had in the fridge). 4.5 stars, would nom again.

oooooh, that looks and sounds awesome, and we have everything on hand for the sauce. w00t!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:17 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I think i'm to lazy to make bowls. They sound awesome though!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:55 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Marla666 wrote:
I think i'm to lazy to make bowls. They sound awesome though!

I think they can be the healthy cure for lazy cooks as long as you do some prep! My downfall is the weekdays when I get home ravenous and too tired to cook. I end up eating white pasta with some lame sauce. Instead I'm shooting for making and freezing some grains and steaming some veggies on the weekend. And making some sauces. A lot of that can be done at the same time. And if you use canned beans it's even faster!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:22 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

If you have the right set up, you can even steam your veggies above your cooking grains/pasta. Actually, the laziness factor is why I like cooking everything on a grill pan in the oven. Just marinate, toss it on the preheated grill, flipping once. In the meantime boil your grain/pasta and you're good to go. I'll often have a big batch of sauce premade that I can warm up, or even just use the marinade as a sauce. Drizzle of sriracha... mmmm... now I want a bowl.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:49 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

i love this thread. I always call these things "salads with fancy stuff," but I guess "bowls" is a more universal term. I love these one-bowl meals with veggies and grains and proteins and flava!

The only thing I make like this is refried beans, with tons of fresh salsa and ground cumin dumped in. Then I steam some veggies (broccoli, carrots, zucchini) and throw them in. More salsa on top. sometimes I add brown rice or quinoa if I already have some cooked up. also, if I am feeling fancy, I saute the veggies with garlic and olive oil instead of steaming them. It's a little Mexi bowl, and it's super yums.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:00 pm 
Naked Under Apron

ashley wrote:
I had the BEST bowl at Native Foods recently - it was quinoa, tofu, roasted vegetables (sweet potatoes, carrots, broccoli, and I think maybe red bell pepers?), and the most delicious "Moroccan" sauce. I don't know what was in that sauce, but it was so delicious. It might have been peanut based. And it was orangey-red in color. And I wish I could eat it everyday.

Has anyone else had this? I wish I could remember it better so I could try to replicate it!

I have their cookbook (which is great and has a ton of good sauces and dressings!), and they have a recipe called the "Rockin' Moroccan marinade". I haven't made it, but can check out the recipe when I get home, if you want.

I have made their Gandhi bowl, which is awesome and I think (it was a long time ago) has a grain, veggies, blackened tempeh, dried cranberries, and a coconut curry sauce. And their Mad Cowboy is delicious too: http://blog.nativefoods.com/nativefoods ... owboy.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:49 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Oh, yes, that's it! It was the Rockin' Moroccan bowl. That would be awesome if you could check out that recipe and see what's in it. I must have that book!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:02 am 
Naked Under Apron

No problem, PMed you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:54 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

So I made a bowl and while I wanted to make Isa's Hoppin John bowl, it turned out to be a bowl inspired by that recipe, but nothing like it. Nonetheless it was super delicious and my boyfriend and I high-fived each other for healthiness!

Bowl parts: brown rice, black beans with a bit of liquid smoke, garlicky kale, steamed broccoli, steamed carrots, cool salad of tomatoes-green onions-red wine vinegar.

Bowl sauce: tahini, sriracha, bbq sauce, bit of red wine vinegar, warm water

It was so good! Bowls4Lyfe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:50 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

I really want to start making more bowls too, and this thread is great bowl-inspiration! Next week I start school again on top of working full time, so I think that bowls will be my go-to dinner for the next 4 months.

I made a couple this week that were super delicious using the Peanut Lime Dressing from AFR. The majority of them have included: quinoa, avocado, shredded carrots, tofu, cashews, red pepper, basil, cilantro, red onions.

I tend to like using lots of raw veggies in bowls to contrast to the warm grains and beans/protein. There is also a vegan restaurant close to where I live that makes amazing bowls and they have inspired me to add different seeds/nuts on top for an extra hit of protein and crunch.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:24 pm 
Nailed to the V

Oohh. Bowls. I have been scolded by my trainer "More protein" :)

My favourite one that I made is this

** Rice (I used to use Basmati, but now I REALLY love Black Forbidden Rice)
** Black beans
**red kidney beans
**kale (I use whatever)
**snips of cilantro & parsley
**salsa
**hummus
**avocado
**drizzle in some hemp/flax oil. and woila.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:32 am 
Inflexitarian

What's the best garlic/tahini sauce recipe?

I'd love other sauce recipes too. I always make peanut sauce, which I love, but want to branch out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:20 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

molasses jane wrote:
What's the best garlic/tahini sauce recipe?

I'd love other sauce recipes too. I always make peanut sauce, which I love, but want to branch out.

I think tahini brands vary so much in their thickness, flavor, etc. that I would just start with what you have and add to it. For example, I would start with garlic, tahini and lemon juice and a bit of water to thin it. Then if you want it spicy, add your favorite hot sauce. If you want something more bright and green, blend in some herbs like dill and parsley (I think AFR has a goddess dressing like this that is sooo good and tahini based).

I'm stuck in a rut in the sauce department. I have my favorite peanut sauce, there's always some tahini variation, but that's about it. I'm thinking of making something with blended roasted red peppers. That could be a sweet/smoky sauce.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:21 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Oh...I forgot to mention tsatziki as a sauce. I just made a quick one for some falafels tonight, but I'm sure it could make a good bowl sauce. I used some plain soy yogurt, shredded cukes, a bit of lemon juice, garlic and salt.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:35 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I've become a fan of the 'instant' powder based cheese sauce from the Uncheese cookbook. You mix together the ingredients once, it's something like AP flour, nooch, paprika, garlic, and mustard powders, store them in an airtight container and when you want sauce you can just scoop out 1/2 cup, add 1 to 1 1/2 cup of water or plant milk, and cook it into 2 person portion of sauce. You can do this while your veggies are cooking. It's not the cheesiest of cheeze sauces, but it tastes great on veggies. The flavor is very adjustable too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:42 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

this thread was just the inspiration that I needed in order to stick to my healthy eating on a budget-plan for january!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:10 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I love the soul bowl from native foods -- red beans, brown rice, kale, steamed veggies, BBQ sauce, ranch dressing, and a piece of veggie fried chicken on top. The ranch is what really does it for this bowl! I think I'm going to try to make a baked version of the fried chicken, maybe using soy curls or chickpea cutlets.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:07 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Well. I guess I eat bowls more than I realized...I just don't literally eat them out of bowls.

We eat tacos/burritos often in our house, and I use leftovers to make awesome bowls!

*Ancho Lentil Taco Meat + Cabbage Slaw + pickled red Onions + pico de gallo + chipolte sour cream sauce

*TVP Taco Meat + Mexican Millet + chopped spinach + chopped red onions + Dayia shreds + Avacado + Trader Joe's Salsa Authentica (as the sauce)

*Cilantro Lime Rice + Black slow cooked beans + pickeled red onions + pico de gallo + Dayia + chipolte sour cream sauce

*Quinoa + mexican squash corn sautee thingy + dry fried tofu (the sautee is really saucy)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:10 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Oh, I forgot to add, I came across this recipe on Pinterest yesterday. I plan on making a huge batch this weekend, then putting in smaller ziplock baggies and freezing. The I can use as the base of a mexican bowl super fast.

http://www.theyummylife.com/cilantro_lime_brown_rice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:49 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Chicki wrote:
Well. I guess I eat bowls more than I realized...I just don't literally eat them out of bowls.

We eat tacos/burritos often in our house, and I use leftovers to make awesome bowls!

*Ancho Lentil Taco Meat + Cabbage Slaw + pickled red Onions + pico de gallo + chipolte sour cream sauce

*TVP Taco Meat + Mexican Millet + chopped spinach + chopped red onions + Dayia shreds + Avacado + Trader Joe's Salsa Authentica (as the sauce)

*Cilantro Lime Rice + Black slow cooked beans + pickeled red onions + pico de gallo + Dayia + chipolte sour cream sauce

*Quinoa + mexican squash corn sautee thingy + dry fried tofu (the sautee is really saucy)

These all sound really good! I just googled mexican millet to see if it was the millet equivalent of mexican red rice and then I saw there's a recipe for it in veganomicon. I never even noticed that before!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:13 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

The Mexican Millet in Vcon is one of my favorite things to eat! I sub some chipotle peppers in adobo (the kind in a can) for the jalepenos and also add some corn at the end. It also makes a TON so lots of leftovers. You can also add black beans to make it a one-pot meal.

Last night I make the Hoppin John bowl from the PPK blog. It was SO GOOD. Did make some changes though:

-Didn't soak the beans, just cooked them regular in my pressure cooker as usual - no soak needed
-only 1.5 tsp of liquid smoke. that stuff can be kind of overwhelming I think
-steamed swiss chard instead of kale. It's my fav green. Me no likey kale --->bad vegan?
-the sauce was too noochy for me....and I love that stuff! I just added more sauce and water. Next time I will just use less nooch

Man it was good. My omni partner was skeptical of the whole thing, especially the sauce. But he ended up loving it. We were like dipping our fingers in the sauce at the end haha

I am trying to think of more uses for the sauce. A wrap definitly. Similar bowl I guess. Baked potato with greens maybe? What else?

We also both agreed that we are going to do bowls a LOT more often. I will be working very long hours coming up soon, and with some pre-planning and cooking on the weekend, I can make some quick (like 10 minute) weeknight bowl dinners.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:49 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Wow, there are some great ideas in this thread. I need to expand my bowl horizons, I see. I tend to make the Supergreen Bowl from AFR over and over because I just love it. It's quinoa, kale, broccoli, edamame and the green goddess dressing. It makes the most satisfying and healthy lunch.

I also love the Goddess Bowl at Life Alive cafe-it's lightly steamed carrots, beets and greens with tofu and brown rice and a ginger soy sauce. Everything is chopped like pea-sized and for some reason it's just really good that way.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:13 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

KrisB wrote:
Wow, there are some great ideas in this thread. I need to expand my bowl horizons, I see. I tend to make the Supergreen Bowl from AFR over and over because I just love it. It's quinoa, kale, broccoli, edamame and the green goddess dressing. It makes the most satisfying and healthy lunch.

I also love the Goddess Bowl at Life Alive cafe-it's lightly steamed carrots, beets and greens with tofu and brown rice and a ginger soy sauce. Everything is chopped like pea-sized and for some reason it's just really good that way.

I love Life Alive they have the best bowls ever! I've been trying to replicate their sauces (you can request an ingredient list for each sauce, sadly no measurements). Since school started I haven't had time to play around with the recipes. It doesn't help either that I lost the ingredient list, I would have given it to you if I had it....I hope sometime soon I can figure the out their sauce recipes, maybe when school is out of session.

If any ppk folk find themselves in Boston, MA area seriously check this place out! Their bowls are super addictive, my friends and I went through a period where we ate them at least once a week. What are they putting in those bowls that makes me want to eat them and nothing else for ever and ever?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:13 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Just had a great bowl of:
slow-cooker pinto beans
chili-roasted potatoes
garlicky kale
avocado
green onions

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next