| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nickel plated cast iron - Good alt to enameled CI?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:56 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I was lucky enough to pick up an old 1920's griswold CI pan from a local store yesterday for $20. I'm so cheap I thought that I paid too much till I got home and realized what it's probably worth.

They had about ten other cast iron skillets for $20 and under. There was a nickel plated one that struck my curiousity.

After looking online I'm thinking that the benefits are easy clean up and good heat transfer. Anyone know any more pros/cons to nickel plated CI?

I'm thinking that for $20 it's probably worth picking up but I'd love some more insight.

Post subject: Re: Nickel plated cast iron - Good alt to enameled CI?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:39 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm sorry I can't help you with the pros and cons of this particular cast iron pan. If you don't mind me asking, I'm just wondering if you enjoy cooking with cast iron pans? I've never owned one and was thinking about buying one for myself. With some pans I find that things really stick to the bottom of the pan and unless i use an enormous amount of fat or stir like crazy most of my food will stay in the pan. I would love to hear your thoughts or anyone else who has experience using cast iron pans!

Post subject: Re: Nickel plated cast iron - Good alt to enameled CI?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:52 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I am super new to cooking with cast iron but so far I love it. I just picked up 2 pans that are both around the 100 year mark, cleaned them up real well and have been adding seasoning layers to both semi obsessively. Though I'm still trying to build up my own seasoning layers, I have tried them out without fats or oils and been successful. Might take a bit longer on a new pan though.

I got freaked out after reading that people who have cookware with teflon coating can't keep birds as pets because they're likely to die (from the fumes I guess). CI seems like the healthiest nonstick alt., plus it always seems recommended by great cooks...

If you do a search on here there are several great threads about ci, with lots of info from people with more experiance and knowledge. Before I realized that it was mentioned in another thread I added a link to an article about seasoning with flax oil to the end of the cast iron=love thread. I think that could be particularly helpful if you pick up a newer pan.

Anyways I'd def recommend it, even if there is a bit of a learning curve.