| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sourdough English muffin recipe?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:58 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I've got a sourdough starter going that is close to being ready and I want to break it in by trying my hand at English muffins. Thing is, I'm finding so many different types of recipes out there. Some contain butter and eggs, others are vegan but contain wildly different ingredients, and there seems to be a debate about whether to use baking powder or not, which some say helps creates the nooks and crannies that I LOVE.

Do you all know of a good recipe? I'd like to start with a white flour recipe rather than WW since I want to see how the sourdough starter works with AP flour.

Post subject: Re: Sourdough English muffin recipe?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:07 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I was considering this recipe and subbing soymilk: http://www.wildyeastblog.com/2007/09/11 ... h-muffins/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:58 am 
Seagull of the PPK

oh my gooooood. i think i will be making that. (i always used the english muffin recipe from.... moosewood? maybe? or maybe it was laurel's kitchen. never tried with sourdough, but since i happen to have a starter going, why not?)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:58 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

torque wrote:
oh my gooooood. i think i will be making that. (i always used the english muffin recipe from.... moosewood? maybe? or maybe it was laurel's kitchen. never tried with sourdough, but since i happen to have a starter going, why not?)

Are you going to make the same recipe I linked? Let me know how it goes! My starter should be ready tomorrow. It already smells ready, but I'm going to wait until tomorrow morning to start the recipe since that will give it another feeding tonight.

Weird question, but when a starter says "100% hydration" does that mean the starter is made from equal parts flour and water? Mine is equal parts, so I'm assuming that's correct.

If these turn out, I'm making a buttload for the freezer since I heart English muffins more than any other breakfast bread. I'm dreaming of toasting one of these, putting an eggy mini quiche on it with some tomato, mayo, and sauteed mushrooms or something for an awesome breakfast sandwich.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:44 am 
Seagull of the PPK

I think that's what it means. I will try the same recipe you linked. I have a lot of baking planned for this weekend (I have a kilo of anko to use, so it will be anpan or anman plus this, plus beermaking if i can swing it) so after a certain point since i have the oven going, i may as well just bake more....
My starter is so strange- i baked with it yesterday and it came out well, but the starter didn't have the "miracle smell" or whatever. it smells like vinegar, and the water separated.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:09 am 
Saggy Butt

Definitely try the recipe from the Wild Yeast blog, everything I've tried from her site has turned out fantastic. And now I totally know what I'm making with my sourdough!

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:12 am 
Not NOT A Furry

pickledtreats wrote:
Weird question, but when a starter says "100% hydration" does that mean the starter is made from equal parts flour and water? Mine is equal parts, so I'm assuming that's correct.

That's what it means, but equal parts in weight, not volume!

I made that recipe once but I remember something being weird. I think the recipe used to have the amounts given in weight and volume and they did not correspond at all or something. I remember adding the flour by weight and the 'dough' was basically batter and much too soft to do anything with it. But it might well be revised by now (it was a looong time ago, like, 5 years ago).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:51 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I used my scale for the starter, so I think I'm good. Hoping it turns out!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:07 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Here's a link to a page with instructions on making your own sourdough and explanation on how to attain certain hydration. http://www.northwestsourdough.com/index ... e-starter/
Her website is great. I made one of her breads with my own sourdough and it was the best bread I had ever made.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My starter smells great. Gave it the last feeding tonight and it's looking pretty active so I should be able to attempt this one tomorrow. It's turned a dark tan/gray color, but I'm assuming that's the flour I'm using, which is from a local windmill.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:47 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Well, the sponge is resting now. I accidentally added a few grams too much starter so I compensated by adding a few grams less milk. Hopefully that hasn't totally forked it up! I'm talking four or five grams.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:28 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I really cannot imagine those being a problem. I feel with bread baking you often have to make small adjustments to the amount of flour or liquid anyway because flours vary in their capacity to bind water, their gluten content etc. and also things like temperature and humidity can have an effect.

As long as you know which dough consistency you are going for you are good, I think.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:08 pm 
Built this city on rock and roll

Lily wrote:
I really cannot imagine those being a problem. I feel with bread baking you often have to make small adjustments to the amount of flour or liquid anyway because flours vary in their capacity to bind water, their gluten content etc. and also things like temperature and humidity can have an effect.

As long as you know which dough consistency you are going for you are good, I think.

I agree! That's definitely not going to fork it up.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:10 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Has anyone here tried the Dahlia Bakery English Muffin recipe? I think it counts as a sourdough but maybe I'm wrong because it doesn't use a separate starter.

I've made the Vegan Brunch ones and they are delicious, but the best muffins I've ever bought were from the Dahlia Bakery. (I didn't know they had honey in them at the time, but I figure I could easily sub in agave.) The thing is the recipe is like 5 pages long and takes 2 (maybe 3?) days so I'm a little intimidated!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:47 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I had to google that recipe and it looks interesting!

I wouldn't call it a sourdough because they use yeast for rising, just with less yeast and longer rising cycles than you often see for quick yeast breads (which is very good for the flavor profile and will give you something with a mush more complex flavor than quick rising will). And they add potato which I think is the 'secret ingredient' and is a great idea. Bread made with potatoes in the dough is much moister, keeps better and I love the taste. BUT, the dough becomes much more difficult to handle, it becomes awfully sticky and messy.

So, I think this is not quite a beginners' recipe because the dough will be pretty wet, sticky and therefore difficult to handle. It shows in the instructions to 'turn' it, a technique I know under the name 'stretch & fold': this is the way to develop gluten in very wet dough and make them easier to handle. If you flour or oil all work surfaces and your hands well enough, it should be okay though.

However, this might be just the right recipe to practice handling a wet dough, so why not try it?

If anyone else does not have the book but is interested in the recipe, here it is:
http://www.lottieanddoof.com/2013/03/english-muffins/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:15 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Success! The muffins are yummy. I accidentally over proofed them, but it didn't affect most of them. They aren't perfect and I wish they had more nooks, but overall they had a good flavor and were tasty once I toasted them and added some homemade jam.

And even though my sourdough starter is fairly new, I could still detect the sourdough flavor. No commercial yeast used! Super proud of myself.

I did have to add some extra flour, even though she said to resist it, because the dough was extremely sticky. But I only added enough to make it workable.