| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: who has a great apple pie recipe?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:34 am 
Huffs Nooch

I am looking for a tried and true apple pie recipe! I know I can trust the PPKers with my Thanksgiving dessert. Suggestions?

Post subject: Re: who has a great apple pie recipe?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:13 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I can't personally vouch for it, but my husband has made this one and loves it:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/good ... index.html
Plus it's Alton Brown...so you can't really go wrong.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:04 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

There's an amazing recipe in The Vegan Girl's Guide to Life! I haven't made it but I've eaten it and it's delicious.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:58 pm 
ugh

Honor wrote:
There's an amazing recipe in The Vegan Girl's Guide to Life! I haven't made it but I've eaten it and it's delicious.

Awesome! I'm going to get a copy of that at a book signing tonight.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:00 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I made a really awesome apple pie a couple weeks ago but I didn't use any one recipe, I combined techniques from a few different sources, mostly gleaned from Cooks Illustrated. I learned from them that cooking the filling a bit helps set the pectin in the apples and keeps them from turning to mush in oven and also helps thicken the juices so you don't have a soggy bottom crust.

First, start with the Foolproof Pie Crust.

Filling:
1/2 cup granulated sugar plus 1 tablespoon for top of pie
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 pounds tart apples (3 to 4 medium), peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
2 pounds sweet apples (3 to 4 medium), peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
2 tablespoons soymilk

For the filling you need four pounds of apples. A combination of a tart and sweet apples gives a more complex flavor. You can use half Granny Smith and half Golden Delicious, McIntosh, Jonagold, etc.

Mix sugar, cinnamon, fine salt, and 1cornstarch in large microwave-safe bowl; add apples and lemon juice and toss to combine. Microwave on high power, stirring with rubber spatula every 3 minutes, until apples are just starting to turn translucent around edges and liquid is thick and glossy, 10 to 14 minutes. Cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes. You can also do this on the stove in a dutch-oven, but the microwave is faster and less likely to over-cook the apples.

While fillings cool, adjust oven rack to lowest position, place rimmed baking sheet on oven rack, and heat oven to 425 degrees. Remove 1 disk of dough from refrigerator and roll out on generously floured (up to 1/4 cup) work surface to 12-inch circle about 1/8 inch thick. Roll dough loosely around rolling pin and unroll into pie plate, leaving at least 1-inch overhang. Ease dough into plate by gently lifting edge of dough with one hand while pressing into plate bottom with other hand. Leave dough that overhangs plate in place; refrigerate until dough is firm, about 30 minutes.

Transfer cooled apple mixture to chilled bottom crust, mounding slightly in center; push down any sharp apple edges.

Roll second disk of dough on generously floured work surface (up to 1/4 cup) to 12-inch circle about 1/8 inch thick. Roll dough loosely around rolling pin and unroll over pie, leaving at least 1-inch overhang on each side.

Using kitchen shears, cut evenly through both layers of overhanging dough, leaving 1/2-inch overhang. Fold dough under itself so that edge of fold is flush with outer rim of pie plate. Flute edges using thumb and forefinger or press with tines of fork to seal. Brush top and edges of pie with soymilk and sprinkle with remaining tablespoon sugar. Using sharp paring knife, cut four 1 1/2-inch slits in top of dough in cross pattern.

Place pie on preheated baking sheet and bake until top is light golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees, rotate baking sheet, and continue to bake until crust is deep golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes longer. Transfer pie to wire rack to cool at least 4 hours.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:09 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I agree with partially precooking the apples. No soggy crust or bubbling over, no collapsed crust from the giant air pocket that remains after the apples cook down. It'll take less time to bake that way too. It's also helpful when you have a sketchy oven that don't regulate heat well and the crust browns too quickly.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:45 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I always make the one in VWAV. It's my family's favorite.