| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New vanilla spice latte at starbucks
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:45 am 
Not NOT A Furry

That new flavor sounds awesome but I'm never going to try it because their soy milk is already so sweet that I have to get extra shots of espresso to counteract it ($$$$$$!!!!) - no room for sweet syrup. Why can't places use unsweetened?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:47 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Dave the Cat wrote:
That new flavor sounds awesome but I'm never going to try it because their soy milk is already so sweet that I have to get extra shots of espresso to counteract it ($$$$$$!!!!) - no room for sweet syrup. Why can't places use unsweetened?

That's the same thing I worry about. The vanilla soymilk is just brinking on too sweet for me, I can't imagine putting syrup in it. Well, besides mocha.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:47 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

I always knock my tea lattes to 1/2 to 1/4 cup of soy milk and 1 pump of syrup for the sweetness factor.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:36 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I tried it and I really liked it! It was a bit sweeter than what I'd normally drink, though. I'm thinking about trying to make a vanilla-cardamom simple syrup so I can make these at home, since I have a moka pot and try to limit Starbucks, because, money.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:45 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I want to try this. I rarely do starbucks, since I think they are overpriced and the coffee beans suck, but I do have a gift card. When I do go there, I usually try to get something special, that I can't make at home. Also, something to cover up the burned taste of the beans :/

I did try a gingerbread latte at the airport last week. Basically, a soy latte (made sure the DIDN'T use vanilla soymilk) with a pump of the gingerbread syrup. The gingerbread syrup is vegan, I asked to see the bottle. It was good! too sweet for a regular coffee drink (for my tastes), but a nice treat while waiting 2+ hours for a delayed plane. My soymilk hating fiancé tried a sip and tried to drink the whole freaking thing. I made him go buy his own. He got milk. Said it was WAY better with soymilk.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:46 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I want to try this. I rarely do starbucks, since I think they are overpriced and the coffee beans suck, but I do have a gift card. When I do go there, I usually try to get something special, that I can't make at home. Also, something to cover up the burned taste of the beans :/

I did try a gingerbread latte at the airport last week. Basically, a soy latte (made sure the DIDN'T use vanilla soymilk) with a pump of the gingerbread syrup. The gingerbread syrup is vegan, I asked to see the bottle. It was good! too sweet for a regular coffee drink (for my tastes), but a nice treat while waiting 2+ hours for a delayed plane. My soymilk hating fiancé tried a sip and tried to drink the whole freaking thing. I made him go buy his own. He got milk. Said it was WAY better with soymilk.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Chicki wrote:

How did you get it without vanilla flavored soymilk? That's all they offer at the Sbux near me.

I want to try this too. Last week a co-worker got one and really liked it. And I love sweet anything so I think I'll love this!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:58 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

GraciaKai wrote:
Chicki wrote:

How did you get it without vanilla flavored soymilk? That's all they offer at the Sbux near me.

I want to try this too. Last week a co-worker got one and really liked it. And I love sweet anything so I think I'll love this!

I'm pretty lucky thatthe airport I use the most, uses non-vanilla soymilk. If they only had vanilla, I wouldn't have gotten it, would have been too sweet.

I guess it is just chance what they carry. But if you frequent a location often, maybe you can ask them if they can start using non-vanilla?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:02 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I didn't even know it was an option at some Sbux. That's pretty interesting. I don't mind the flavor of their soymilk, but I don't want the added sugar and calories in an already calorie dense drink. But I guess that's also why I only get them rarely! I'll have to ask next time I stop down there. We normally have weekly Sbux outings at work because the Sbux is in our building. Dangerous but handy!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:13 pm 
And you never will.

I'm just guessing here, but I seriously doubt most Starbucks have the option of non-vanilla soymilk. All stores are owned by Starbucks and are required to carry certain things. Most kiosk-type locations (like in airports and in B&N or Target) are "Licensed Concept Stores" meaning they are not owned by Starbucks and have a little more leeway with what they are allowed and/or required to do. That's probably why the airport Starbucks was able to have different soymilk.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:16 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

poopiebitch wrote:
I'm just guessing here, but I seriously doubt most Starbucks have the option of non-vanilla soymilk. All stores are owned by Starbucks and are required to carry certain things. Most kiosk-type locations (like in airports and in B&N or Target) are "Licensed Concept Stores" meaning they are not owned by Starbucks and have a little more leeway with what they are allowed and/or required to do. That's probably why the airport Starbucks was able to have different soymilk.

That makes sense, I din't think of it that way. And I should have because I used to work in the cafe at a B&N that sold Starbucks products.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:36 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

poopiebitch wrote:

OHHHH. That makes sense. Usually when I do go to Starbucks, it's at my local Target or the Airport. Meh. Sorry to mislead anyone.....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:00 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Soy here have vanilla too, I've never understood why the changes it, also the brand.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:05 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I find it so weird (and gross) that Starbucks in the States only has vanilla soymilk.

When I worked at Starbucks years ago I wasn't aware of this and so when an American woman came in and requested vanilla soymilk we had about 5 minutes of "do you mean soymilk with vanilla syrup?" "No! Vanilla soymilk!" "Well, I could do soymilk with vanilla syrup..."

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:20 am 
Tofu Pup

The Vanilla spice syrup is really really good. Even with soy milk, it's not too sweet. (I can't vouch for any other milk :P)

Pretty much everything with "syrup" in the name is vegan (with a question mark on the chai syrup which contains honey). It's the "sauces" and "drizzles" that you need to ask about.

And don't be afraid-- most of us like questions, and would be glad to suggest drinks or impart knowledge (add one pump of mocha to your vanilla spice latte!)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:57 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Dave the Cat wrote:

I have to do this too! A triple tall soy latte is still too sweet with that vanilla soy milk they use. I think it is extra sweet, like the equivalent of Very Vanilla - not even regular vanilla. I wish they would use unsweetened in the US. They do in other countries.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:05 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Hhm. I don't think I saw vanilla on the carton of soymilk at the Starbucks I go to most. It's definitely not unsweetened soymilk, but I thought it was plain.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:04 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I had one of these today, and it was good but way too sweet for me.

Sometimes what I do is order a plain iced coffee with just one pump of a syrup, and that way I get the nice flavor but way less sweetness. I'll try that with this next time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:04 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

poopiebitch wrote:

i think this is also why previously you couldnt use your gold card previously at airports or targets for anything other than to pay (ie you didnt get free soy or syrup). of course now the gold card means next to nothing.

for some reason i think i still got discounts at a B&N sb or maybe i never noticed.....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:01 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

For those who find the syrups way too sweet, ask for one, or even half a pump! It'll likely be the same price, but it's way more bearable. I used to do that all the time when I was rolling in Starbucks cards at my old job.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:08 am 
WELFARIST!

I can't wait for this to be in my mouth.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:16 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The stores in the States use vanilla soymilk. Canadian stores use regular soymilk - it is sweetened, but not too much. I wish they'd use unsweetened though - I find straight up long-pour soy lattes sweet enough, with the right amount of espresso flavour, so if I add any syrup, it's too sweet. I might try half a pump next time I'm in though and check out the flavour. For science!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:25 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Does anyone know why all Sbux have vanilla soy milk? It makes no sense to me that if you want nondairy you have to get a sugary coffee. I hate the flavor of sweet coffee but I also hate the burned flavor of black stabucks coffee, which basically means I never order anything there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:01 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

j-dub wrote:
I find it so weird (and gross) that Starbucks in the States only has vanilla soymilk.

When I worked at Starbucks years ago I wasn't aware of this and so when an American woman came in and requested vanilla soymilk we had about 5 minutes of "do you mean soymilk with vanilla syrup?" "No! Vanilla soymilk!" "Well, I could do soymilk with vanilla syrup..."

When I worked at Starbucks here we used to get so many Americans tourists coming in and getting completely confused and outraged that we didn't have things like flavoured milk and 'half and half' (which I'd never even heard of until I met those customers). One woman even insisted that we mix up milk with thick whipping cream and steam it for her. She said it was great but we all tried it for ourselves after she left and couldn't manage more than a small sip each.

But anyway, vanilla soy milk only? Yeah, that's super weird.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:53 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I think they're just catering to tastes. I know a bunch of omnis who love soymilk, but only if it's that very vanilla stuff. So that's how they think soymilk tastes. Don't blame it, I hate the shiitake, but yeah..people like sweet stuff.