| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: flying food
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:31 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I travel a lot, and since it is for work, I tend to buy whatever I can in the airport (since I can expense it!) and I don't have to worry about stuff getting thrown out. I have rarely been in an airport where I could not find a halfway decent meal to bring on the plane. Burritos are GREAT, since they taste good, maybe better at room temp halfway through the flight! Many airports have asian places, so you can get food there. Also, many airports have subway or taco bell, which have excellent vegan options. Even if you can't find prepared food, there is always luna or odwalla bars, tons of fruit and trail mixes and chips and juice. Oh, and there is a starbucks in pretty much every US airport. They have vegan options too (usually bagels and oatmeal). Sometimes I get the oatmeal dry, and get hot water on the plane and eat it.

Bringing food? Be careful of bringing paste foods as others have said: hummus, PB/nut butter, etc. If you want to bring food, make a sandwich or a wrap, better chance of getting through. Hummus wraps are great, but watch out for gas on the plane. I always have some trail mix and luna bars when I travel non-business that I bring with me. bagel and cream cheese is also something I have brought with me (make at home obviously). Packets of oatmeal are great to bring on planes. Just ask the flight attendant for hot water! You can also bring little soup cups, again add hot water. Really long flight you can bring tasty bite packets. The flight attendent will usually heat them up for you.

Go online and check the in-flight meals. Most (non-US) international flights will have a vegan option. Lot's of US airlines have vegan snacks. AA has this like hummus snack pack that is excellent, and only $7. Just ask the attendent BEFORE you take off to hold one aside for you!!! Otherwise it will be gone. Trust me. It's the best snack pack they offer. Hummus, chips, olives and some other yummies.

Not to make you guys all Jealous and stuff...but I was just in my local airport, and they opened up a new terminal that includes a Subway, Pei Wei, Zovs, CPK, Jerry's Dogs and a farmers market store. All have EXCELLENT vegan options. (plus 2 more that sound promising, but I need to check out) I am taking a travel-heavy job soon, and this is AWESOME news! I can eat well coming and going at least.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:49 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

these are great suggestions, thanks everyone!

I'm adding crudite and shelf-stable hummus to my list for sure. Plus Dr. Kracker poppy crackers, I love those!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:54 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I always take a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Sometimes I can find food at airports or near where I end up; other times, it's been my savior! And unlike other non-dried type of foods, it keeps longer without going bad.

In addition to the typical nuts, dried fruits, and bars, I also take some dehydrated hummus powder. That doesn't even need hot water; cold will work just fine, so I've had some on a long bus ride, when the only liquid was from my water bottle. Crackers or pita chips will keep for a while, but they do tend to get smashed.

I try to doctor the hummus mix with some extra granulated garlic and cumin, since it doesn't taste too great.

I've also taken mixtures of dried beans and instant mashed potatoes, with spices added, like garlic, onion, dehydrated bell pepper, cumin, cayenne, salt. But those need hot water to reconstitute, so I usually stick with the hummus.

I also take along a plastic travel mug with a lid and a plastic spoon. I had to argue once to keep a metal spork (showed the security guy it couldn't hurt anyone by stabbing my neck and arm with it...sigh...). So now I stick to plastic and hope it doesn't break en route.

Then I can mix up the hummus and water in there, or just use it to drink with. Nothing gourmet, for sure, but since we cannot take any fruits or vegetables from here on a plane, it's a workable alternative.

I LOVE when I can find food at an airport, but sometimes you're too early, too late, and everything is closed, or rushing to make a connection, or there isn't anything decent.

http://alinaspencil.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:01 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

alinaspencil wrote:
I also take along a plastic travel mug with a lid and a plastic spoon. I had to argue once to keep a metal spork (showed the security guy it couldn't hurt anyone by stabbing my neck and arm with it...sigh...). So now I stick to plastic and hope it doesn't break en route.

Please tell me there is a video of this online somewhere or a vegan stabbing herself with a spork going through airport security. Those craaaaazy vegans at it again!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:18 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Chicki wrote:
Please tell me there is a video of this online somewhere or a vegan stabbing herself with a spork going through airport security. Those craaaaazy vegans at it again!

haha. Well, he needed a video...I mean, really, sporks are made for preschoolers! Spoons with tines with rounded edges.

Can you see the headline? Terrorist Holds Airplane Hostage. An enraged vegetarian took over a trans-Pacific flight Wednesday. She held out a spork, and forced everyone to stay in their seats, She then demanded the pilot to re-route to an airport with burritos suitable for a long flight.

Police are holding her in custody until she calms down. Her cellmate was reportedly also a vegan terrorist, who went berserk after a jar of Speculoos spread was detained when she went through airport security in Belgium.

http://alinaspencil.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:06 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

alinaspencil wrote:

I usually raid the cutlery options at the food places in the airport.. grab a few backups in case something breaks!

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:15 am 
Chip Strong

I'm flying for the first time in over 8 years this summer, for the first time as a vegan (I was vegetarian on the last flight I took).

Can anyone please give any experiences/suggestions for food at:
Heathrow Airport (London, England)
Rio de Janeiro international airport (Brazil)
British Airways?

I have requested the BA "vegan vegetarian" meal.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:20 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Pretty sure there's a small Pret a Manger at Heathrow so you can get their avocado sandwich thingy that's vegan. If you go on their website it's pretty good for labelling what's vegan/not vegan. I went there last year and remember seeing some options (I just got coffee, nervous flyer here!).

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:00 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Rio is actually a TINY airport. I was just talking to someone who came in on separate flights with their partner and it is impossible to not meet someone there. SP (Guarulhos) is much bigger though still nothing compared with Heathrow or Chicago.

Sadly, you're not going to find anything to eat there [or in any brazilian airport for that matter- it's coffee, $12 cokes and pão de queijo]. Great drinks and juice [Rei do Maté, get a cold maté-abacaxi-canela whipped tea drink, which sounds horrible but it the shiitake] but not food. when we travel we have a few transfers, and we bring bags of snacks in our backpacks, since there is literally nothing. You also probably won't find fresh fruit in the airport. Juice yes, and maybe smoothies in Rio but you might have to look around. When you order juice they will ask you "com agua ou com leite" (with water or milk, because yes people do blend up their fruit with milk and call it juice. barf.) and make sure you catch that if you order juice.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:52 am 
Saggy Butt

It's been a couple of years since I flew on British Airways, and I don't remember exactly what was served, but the vegan meals were excellent. The dinner entrée was Indian. You won't go hungry on the plane, at least.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:27 am 

new tip - onigiri for plane snacks. I snagged some in the airport lounge (at JFK, though it was the ANA lounge) and they were amazing (they had umeboshi and kelp varieties that were vegan). I'm not sure how easy they are to pick up at your average airport outside of Japan, but they hold well and seem like they should be tsa-safe if you want to make your own.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:30 am 

vixki wrote:
Pretty sure there's a small Pret a Manger at Heathrow so you can get their avocado sandwich thingy that's vegan. If you go on their website it's pretty good for labelling what's vegan/not vegan. I went there last year and remember seeing some options (I just got coffee, nervous flyer here!).

Yes, Pret is your best bet at Heathrow. There are good snacks all over the place there, but not a lot of vegan main dishes.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:48 am 
Chard Martyr

aiee wrote:
new tip - onigiri for plane snacks. I snagged some in the airport lounge (at JFK, though it was the ANA lounge) and they were amazing (they had umeboshi and kelp varieties that were vegan). I'm not sure how easy they are to pick up at your average airport outside of Japan, but they hold well and seem like they should be tsa-safe if you want to make your own.

I ate onigiri constantly all the way back from Japan! Also, I've seen a lot of onigiri in North America lately. Bonus: if you can't read Japanese or decipher the photo on the front, the ingredients are usually offered in English!

Pret a Mangez is good. I was just at the Gatwick location, and I had that avocado thingy. We also ate at Cafe Rouge, and they shockingly made up a vegan breakfast for us that included vegan sausages!

I always feel dumb paying exorbitant airport prices for food, because I never really have much of an appetite when I'm travelling, but I mean, with international flights they make you check in ridiculously early, and then what do you do?! Their formula works.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:52 am 
Not NOT A Furry

vijita wrote:
aiee wrote:

I ate onigiri constantly all the way back from Japan! Also, I've seen a lot of onigiri in North America lately. Bonus: if you can't read Japanese or decipher the photo on the front, the ingredients are usually offered in English!

Pret a Mangez is good. I was just at the Gatwick location, and I had that avocado thingy. We also ate at Cafe Rouge, and they shockingly made up a vegan breakfast for us that included vegan sausages!

I always feel dumb paying exorbitant airport prices for food, because I never really have much of an appetite when I'm travelling, but I mean, with international flights they make you check in ridiculously early, and then what do you do?! Their formula works.

Cafe Rouge will do vegan stuff? My mum loves that place and I've wanted to treat her but from the menu I'd be stuck eating nothing so I've never known if it's worth it!

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:18 am 
Chard Martyr

They made us a vegan breakfast with potatoes, tomatoes, baked beans, (confirmed vegan! They brought out the package) sausages, fruit, and something else random...I think steamed asparagus? It was pretty good.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:01 pm 
Chip Strong

The BA meals were great and I loved the Pret a Manger avocado wrap at Heathrow so thanks for the advice :)