| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CAAAAAKE!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:56 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Talk to me about your favourite non-chocolate birthday type cakes. Not that I've got anything against chocolate, but it's my sister's birthday and my brother in law is also making a (non-vegan) chocolate cake. Normally I wouldn't bother making a second cake, but my (vegan) boyfriend will be over too and I think it'd be kind of mean to invite someone over for cake and not deliver.

So yeah, blog recipes are good but I have a fair amount of cookbooks, too, thus I might have access to any cookbook recipes you mention.

Post subject: Re: CAAAAAKE!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:26 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

there are SO MANY cake recipes out there! Give us an idea of a type of cake you and your boyfriend like?
The vwav carrot cake is one of my all time favorite cakes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:40 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

That's a very good point. There are lots of cakes.

I do love carrot cake, and I've never made the VWAV version, so it's one to consider.

I pretty much like all cake. Sorry, not narrowing it down much here. I'd like it to be a layer cake and possibly a little bit fancy so that everyone is like "I wish I could just have more of your cake instead of having to eat this stupid eggy cake".... or something like that.

But flavour-wise, anything goes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:22 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

The VWAV carrot cake is amaze-balls. I'm usually a chocolate cake girl, so I don't have any other good suggestions.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:56 am 
WELFARIST!

I don't know about birthday but whenever I get a cake craving for just myself to enjoy, I usually want vanilla cupcakes with an orange buttercream icing (using the recipe from either VCTOTW or the Vegan Lunchbox fluffy vanilla cupcakes for the cake) and then the orange buttercream from VCTOTW.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:20 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Pineapple upside down cake! I've seen wacky recipes, I basically use the one in my old Good Housekeeping cookbook, or rather the idea... take canned pineapple rings, get off all the liquid, melt same margarine and add brown sugar, sprinkle on the bottom of a greased pan and arrange the pineapple rings (use all of them and cram them in there) and pour your favorite vegan yellow cake recipe on top of the whole thing. When it's done, cool, invert and look at the pineapple rings!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:52 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I usually opt for chocolate, but carrot cake is awesome, too! And I have never tried the VWAV recipe, but everyone on the ppk raves about how good it is, and ppkers know their cake.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:29 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I do trust the PPK on matters of the cake, so it may have to be the VWAV carrot cake.

I, too, usually go for chocolate, but I thought two chocolate cakes would be redundant. Or maybe I'm underestimating chocolate cake?!

Thanks for the input all. I don't have to bake until Sunday so I'm still open to suggestion.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:22 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

The VWAV carrot cake is the best carrot cake I've ever eaten and, now I think about it, definitely in my Top Ten Cakes. I also almost always go for chocolate too so it's hard for me to think of other kinds of cake, haha. If you do want to do chocolate, you could always go for the vwaw raspberry blackout cake or similar. That has more of black forest gateaux taste to it.

Oooh! For my last birthday, my husband made me this Pumpkin Turtle Cake (http://fragrantvanillacake.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/5%20spice) and it was forking amazing!! It looks amazing too so is definitely birthday cake material.

mmmmm cake...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:57 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I just checked out that blog.....pretty awesome stuff....I'm amazed at how talented people are, and how willing they are to share....it brings so much enjoyment to so many people.

Thank you all you awesome bloggers!.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:14 am 
Saggy Butt

I don't know when you needed this. Anyway, I have the biggest sweet tooth on the planet so I've made the vwav carrot cake with cake batter cream cheese frosting.

I have also done the pistachio rose cupcakes from the cupcake book as a layer cake, which was well received, but maybe a little unusual for some.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:49 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

This orange bundt cake is one of my favorites. It's crazy good, and I've made a whole bunch of alterations/substitutions to the recipe without any failures yet.