| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yellow peas cooking methods question vs. gas
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:49 pm 
Nailed to the V

Hey everybody, looking for your experiences with split yellow peas. I love yellow peas I find the sugars effect me far more than other legumes....to the point of serious abdominal discomfort.

I used to cook them in a pot on the stove and then drain. They would take forever and I would always have a lot of flatulence and cramping after over indulging. I started doing them in the pressure cooker and tried two different ways:

1) soak overnight and cook for 3 ½ minutes slow release which basically makes it into split pea soup. There is no way to drain the cooking fluid so they are ingested when eating (as is the T of cooking oil). I hardly get any gas this way even if I eat 3 16 ounce bowls in row. I can only think that this is because the peas are cooked to oblivion making digestion easier.

2) Do a quick soak and cook for 3 minutes quick release method. This allows the peas to keep shape, have a little bite and the cooking liquids can be drained. I get more flatulence than the other pressure cooker method but I can use the drained peas for more applications.

I am curious what other people’s experience are with cooking methods versus gas ratio.

Sorry if this is tmi but hey, vegans eat beans and beans cause gas --> compassion has to have a soundtrack

Last edited by Jonny Guitar on Mon May 26, 2014 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Yellow peas cooking methods question
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:53 pm 
Naked Under Apron

have you tried cooking them with a nub of kombu? i've never had a problem w/yellow peas (i usually cook mine stovetop & they take maybe 20-30 minutes & i would use them to make kitchari), but black beans and i aren't the best of friends. however, when i cook them with a nub of kombu it helps a bunch.

Post subject: Re: Yellow peas cooking methods question
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:00 pm 
Nailed to the V

happyfaced wrote:
have you tried cooking them with a nub of kombu?

Kombu? Interesting. I haven't even heard of it but I will check it out. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Yellow peas cooking methods question vs. gas
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:14 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Epazote is also supposed to help with legume digestion. But your troubles are surprising to me, because in my experience yellow peas are some of the quickest cooking and easiest digested legumes. How long was "forever" on the stove top? How long do you cook other legumes, and do you have less digestion troubles with those?

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:26 pm 
Nailed to the V

^ Seemed to be over 45 minutes each time, after soaking til, they were to my liking.

Other beans I eat ridiculous quantities of with very little gas. Now, I pressure cook them all to varying degrees of doneness depending on the variety. I cook about 3 cups of various dry bean every 4 days so I pretty much each 1/2 cup to 1 cup 4-5 times a day with little effects.

Whoops, I just realized that I haven't really cooked split yellows in years since my pre-vegan days -- and I haven't stove top cooked them at all since my transition. My ability to digest legumes is completely different now than pregan me. If I ate as much hummus back then as I do now, I would of surely exploded. I do digest yellows worse than most legumes though, unless I cook them beyond recognition.

I will check out Epazote -- another I have never heard of. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:50 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I usually find that most legumes take longer to stove cook to my liking than the directions on the package or in a cook book suggest. I've never used a pressure cooker, so I can't really compare there. But 45 minutes on the stove top sounds quite reasonable for yellow peas to me. I'd probably cook them over an hour, but I never pre-soak them.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:05 am 
Nailed to the V

^ yeah, 45 minutes isn't really "forever" but I would find that they just wouldn't get any more tender regardless of time-- even if I doubled the time -- so I settled on 45. They just never got tender; Garbanzos, on the other hand would be too firm at 45 and be mush by 90 minutes.

Pressure cooking is the shitake for beans: soaked time examples -- garbanzo 11 minutes, navy 3 minutes, black beans 4 minutes, kidneys 3 minutes, black eyed 5 minutes. Super fast and consistent.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:45 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Maybe your yellow peas are old somehow? Where do you buy them? The never getting tender sounds like classic old legume syndrome to me.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:44 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Lentils give my partner and I problems. No matter how we cook them.

The only thing that helped was a vegetarian beano type product when I first started cooking with them.
Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Bean-zyme-Anti-Ga ... B0085XXNSA

Now that I cook with them a LOT (we love lentils, red and brown) it does not affect us as much. I think our bodies adjusted after a while.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:48 am 
Nailed to the V

^ The initial batch was old, the newer batches are cooking much faster. I guess my body is used to other legumes but is more sensitive to peas so it likes them to be 100% cooked.