| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: where in the store do I find soy curls?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:24 am 
Tofu Pup

Help-- are they dried/shelf-stable? Frozen? Refrigerated? In a box, bag, can, carton, or some other packaging? With which general region might they be associated? I was at an extensive Asian market over the weekend with no luck. When I attempted to ask for help finding them the only person who was willing to help was a teenage boy who eventually ended up near a bunch of dried fish products.. but no soy curls. He seemed pretty clueless though...

In which general section of a market might I be apt to find them? I know I can get them online, but refuse to believe that they aren't available locally...

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: where in the store do I find soy curls?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:29 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Where do you live?

I've never seen them in an Asian market. In Portland you can get them at Whole Foods, New Seasons or Food Fight, but they're also made close to here.

They are dried in a bag, though. On the shelf, not refrigerated.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:39 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Apparently Colorado, so, here http://www.butlerfoods.com/wheretobuy/w ... l#Colorado

If you don't live in Denver, it looks like you need to buy online.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:41 am 
Tofu Pup

Thanks- yep, in Denver. Nooch is a new store-- so will use this as my reason to check them out!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:49 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

I wish that CA Whole Foods would carry them, the ones I have been to have not. I order them online once a month....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:06 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I wish Whole Foods would carry 'em. Here the only place I could find them was at this restaurant called Green. They have a little "vegan market" which is just a case full of goodies. Haven't seen them there in months, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:18 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

You wouldn't find them in an Asian supermarket. Some health food stores carry them, and they would be on the shelf with dry goods like TVP. Check the website for some locations! I always order them in bulk online from the Butler Foods site because I have trouble finding them locally. If you can't find them locally, you can also order single bags from Vegan Essentials (worth the shipping cost if you're also getting other stuff), and you can also get single bags on Amazon, though the prices on the ones on Amazon are jacked up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:58 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I can't find any stores locally that carry them here (LA or OC california). If anyone knows of a place here, lemme know please.

I went to Whole Foods about a month ago asking for them, and I got some really snarky vegan guy that did the ordering for most dry groceries. He was like "well, we don't carry GMO products". "Are you sure they are vegan? *I* have never heard of those". "They sound like a chicken product". "if they are non-GMO then we would carry them"

Ugh. Go away snobby vegan dude.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:58 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Chicki wrote:
I can't find any stores locally that carry them here (LA or OC california). If anyone knows of a place here, lemme know please.

I went to Whole Foods about a month ago asking for them, and I got some really snarky vegan guy that did the ordering for most dry groceries. He was like "well, we don't carry GMO products". "Are you sure they are vegan? *I* have never heard of those". "They sound like a chicken product". "if they are non-GMO then we would carry them"

Ugh. Go away snobby vegan dude.

But they are non-gmo vegan! Stupidhead snarky clerk giving vegans a bad name, when in reality he doesn't even know what's out there. pfft.

I just order mine straight from Butler foods, too. The people there are really nice on the phone! Last time I ordered a whole case because they end up being a bit cheaper. I finally convinced my husband how great they are, so ordering in bulk made sense. (you don't have to order in bulk from them, though). Smoky curls, bbq curls, sandwich fixen's, enchilada filler and used in soup...it's all good.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:14 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

If you order in bulk, it's best to freeze some. I've heard they can go rancid, but I've never had kept any long enough to test that out!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:30 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Jill wrote:
If you order in bulk, it's best to freeze some. I've heard they can go rancid, but I've never had kept any long enough to test that out!

hhmm.... I have a wee bit left in a bag from about 10 days ago... not sure when i'm going to use them up. they have been stored in the fridge, should i move them to the freezer???

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:32 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

p.s. someone in another thread mentioned that they are able to buy them from the 7th Day Adventist Church in his/her hometown. Perhaps you have a Church in your area with an attached speciality store???

I bought mine online from veganessentials. S/h was nearly equal to the cost of 2 bags :( but it was worth it, the soy curls are freakin' amazing.

I will also add that I have an Earth Fare (sorta like Whole Foods?) in my town and they do not carry them :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:34 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

You can order through Food Fight as well. http://www.foodfightgrocery.com/fake-meaty/
Although if you go to Nooch in Denver you have an excuse to go to City O City as well. Thar be biscuits and gravy.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:56 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I think that Spencer's has reasonable shipping prices:

http://spencersmarket.com/invitations/z48kw9

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:08 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

bookwormbethie wrote:
Jill wrote:

hhmm.... I have a wee bit left in a bag from about 10 days ago... not sure when i'm going to use them up. they have been stored in the fridge, should i move them to the freezer???

I think you're okay. I bought one of those huge boxes of soy curls and it lasted a year. I only put it in the freezer after it got down to a more manageable size. maybe after 5 months or so. I never noticed a loss in flavor.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:50 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Whole Foods not carrying GMO products is laughable. They're up to their eyeballs with Yves and Morningstar stuff and those contain GMO.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:45 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Yeah I know. the snarky vegan whole foods guy needed to be schooled on his own products, but I was on my lunch break and....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:54 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I seriously need to get me some soy curls.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:30 pm 
Inflexitarian

joyfulgirl wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:
Jill wrote:

I think you're okay. I bought one of those huge boxes of soy curls and it lasted a year. I only put it in the freezer after it got down to a more manageable size. maybe after 5 months or so. I never noticed a loss in flavor.

I will echo this. I had mine in Texas over a hot summer (and my AC kinda stinks) and they were totally fine. I just used the last bag I ordered in like April.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:27 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I brought two bags of soy curls back from California but they were at the bottom of my backpack and now they are crumbs. Sad soy curls! I hate TVP and stuff like TVP in chili...what should I do with them?!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:02 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i forgot to mention, that the bag is already open...... still okay in the fridge? not sure when i'm going to use them again, should i put them in the freezer?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:03 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

vijita wrote:
I brought two bags of soy curls back from California but they were at the bottom of my backpack and now they are crumbs. Sad soy curls! I hate TVP and stuff like TVP in chili...what should I do with them?!

there's another soy curl thread floating around..... someone posted a link where (and i'm embarassed that i can't recall the name) someone posted recipes specifically using soy curl crumbs.