| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What would you want in your breakroom?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:19 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Hey, PPK! My work is looking for new ideas for the breakroom and I'm looking to submit a few ideas. Right now, I have an ezekiel, hummus and veggie sandwich pretty much every day and it gets old. We have a salad-bar type thing, a bunch of refrigerator cases, a few freezers, a toaster, a microwave. The best thing I've been able to come up with has been cans of beans, instant rice and tortillas for tacos. I know frozen falafel exists, but the only ones I've seen have had animal products in them. Ideas appreciated

Post subject: Re: What would you want in your breakroom?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:31 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Wow, it sounds like you work in paradise! Would some tofurky be out of the question? If you're asking for cans of beans, how about some soup, too? Babaganouj (sp) to swap out with the hummus? Also, I know WF carries a brand of vegan refrigerated falafel, but I can't remember what it is, or if it is local to Colorado.

Me, I'm just happy when I work somewhere with free coffee.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:42 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Our breakroom is mostly junk food, but we do have individual bags of Lucy's Cookies, small jars of hummus with pretzel chips, Popchips, Amy's frozen vegan burritos and various candy bars, including Peanut Chews.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:44 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Love the idea of cans and microwave rice. This might be a bit out there, but what about frozen waffles and frozen fruit and veggie bacon? Breakfast for dinner!

edit: Heinz Beans and microwave baked potatoes are also a thing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:02 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm usually happy just having some snack food around in case I end up having a long day and forget to bring something.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:03 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm thinking about maybe asking for some Boca chicken patties because I love those things and they're frozen, so I don't have to worry about spoilage. I do work with at least 2 other vegetarians so I don't think it would be much of a problem. I'd LOVE Heinz beans at work. I don't want to make 'em hunt them down, though because it's not easy to find. Baked potatoes isn't a bad idea. Just nuke 'em and drizzle some olive oil and vinegar in it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:25 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Do you work at Vegan Headquarters or what?

I always try to get in on the costco trips for my office so I can pick the snacks. Otherwise my co-workers come back with dumb shiitake like Doritos and Quaker granola bars. I have trained them to get hummus and pita chips, though. I don't even have to put them on the list anymore!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:27 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Point them to the Amazon link above! HUNDREDS OF BEANS! I have ordered the Heinz Beans 12-pack myself, and as much as I like them it took me a long time to work through it because I don't want to eat baked beans every day, y'know?

If keeping whole potatoes creates too much spoilage, maybe frozen tater tots or something would work too? You can put pretty much anything on potatoes. Potatoes are awesome. Frozen Chick'n patties + tater tots and hot sauce sounds like a delightfully filling lunch.

Another thing I just thought of... McDougall's soup cups. I wouldn't eat them every day, but they keep for a long time and some of the flavors are pretty good.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:09 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm jealous. We just lost our fridge because the door fell off, so now I'm not sure what I can bring for lunch. We won't have another fridge unless a staff member has an old one to donate.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:37 pm 
Nailed to the V

lavawitch wrote:
I'm jealous. We just lost our fridge because the door fell off, so now I'm not sure what I can bring for lunch.

I was on the road a lot in my previous work and I would take my lunch in a wee mini-cooler with an ice pack in it...as a good as fridge (better really because it was sanitized to my desired level).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:47 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I was just thinking about this and I think frozen brown rice and Tasty Bite (and the billion other bagged curry brands) would be the best. Your work could order it through amazon's subscribe and save.

ETA: but the bagged rice sucks, so don't get that! frozen forever! I freeze my own in huge batches of little 200ml cups and it tastes so fresh after a microwaving.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:44 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Jonny Guitar wrote:
I was on the road a lot in my previous work and I would take my lunch in a wee mini-cooler with an ice pack in it...as a good as fridge (better really because it was sanitized to my desired level).

This is what I do because at my work, people have been known to steal food out of the fridge and people have had their lunches go missing! So I keep a small cooler bag with an ice pack in it with my lunch near where I'm working and it keeps my food cool all day long.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:33 pm 
WELFARIST!

I would want your breakroom in my breakroom.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:17 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I don't have space for personal things at work, so anything I have needs to stay with me. This means wearing a coat/jacket is too much trouble, and hauling lunch around all day to 3 different rooms is also too much trouble since I also have laptop and cords, papers, whatever else I need, and my bag with my phone, wallet, etc.

So, I remain jealous!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:27 pm 
Nailed to the V

loolie wrote:
This is what I do because at my work, people have been known to steal food out of the fridge and people have had their lunches go missing!

I thought just labeling it "Vegan" in big letters would be sufficient to protect your lunch....I mean, who wants to eat rabbit food & more importantly, why would they eat something with absolutely no protein!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:29 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I brought my own mini fridge to work. Bought it on Craigslist for $20. Of course then a co-worker discovered it and decided we would "share" it, and has since stuffed it full of her food. Still, it's better than walking waaay down the hall to the break room.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:56 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I can't even imagine having a breakroom provide anything for meals, let alone options! I would die for a free salad bar.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:40 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I saw Larabars in a vending machine last night and thought, "why don't we have that??" The only vegan thing in our breakroom vending machine is animal crackers.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:06 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

We have hard cider tastings in our break room! I win. Okay we also have lots of potato chips. I feel like I'm pretty much covered, but I don't eat that well at work. I try to bring in soups and stuff but I usually just go for the chips. We have three fridges so I really have no excuse not to bring a proper lunch.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:44 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Man, I want your breakroom! We get nothing, unless it's left overs from a big executive meeting, which means stale non-vegan muffins. I think you've got a pretty good list of things for them to get!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:04 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

ashley wrote:
Do you work at Vegan Headquarters or what?

I wish! My company just hooks it up. And our CEO is big on health, so he's always trying to get us healthy foods and into the gym and such.

The McDougall's soup cup is a good idea. I think we already have ramen noodles somewhere, so I can only hope they don't think I'm asking more of the same. Even though I hate talking about my veganism with co-workers, but I'll talk to them about it if it gets me more options. Requests gotta be in by the end of the day. Some good stuff here.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:13 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

If you have a salad bar you could ask for some baked tofu or beans or tempeh to add some protein to a salad. You can make couscous in a microwave. Tofurky is a good idea too.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:15 pm 
WRETCHED

quinoa

And on a serious note, tasty bite has these packets of various vegan friendly heat n serve foods. Maybe a few of those packets?

My husband keeps those at work along with various frozen burritos (Amy's has a few good ones).