| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Favorite weight-loss appropriate smoothies?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:26 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm going to start (omg) replacing my morning soy lattes with smoothies. T least for this week as a test. I'm trying to figure out what would be good. I've got a Vitamix.

Problems: have to make evening before and have to be low sugar (under 15g or so). Also, need to be cheap since the lattes are already paid up for the month!

And, I'm kinda worried about digestive issues at work. Ahem. So no kale or anything. Kale is evil anyway and never agrees with me. Spinach is good, but kind of expensive.

I don't have expensive ingredients like hemp seeds or chia seeds or things that lots of recipes seem to want. If they are really worth it, I could get chia seeds, but they are $12 for a small pack at Wegmans, so I'm dubious.

I get so overwhelmed when I start looking through smoothie recipes, and a lot are way too high in sugar or calories.

Post subject: Re: Favorite weight-loss appropriate smoothies?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:34 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Are you looking for a certain nutrition profile other than the low-ish sugar? Like a certain amount of protein or anything? I like making smoothies with soaked oats sometimes - they're super filling. They can be a bit gritty in my blender, but I bet they'd be dreamy in a vitamix. Also, I bet they'd separate less than juicier smoothies as they sit since the oats kind of bind things.

What kind of flavors do you like in the morning? Sometimes super fruity things don't sound good to me then, as much as I like them other times. I used to be a big fan of banana/coffee/cocoa/protein powder blended with soy milk as a breakfast smoothie. If your bananas are nice and ripe and your milk is a little sweet it doesn't need any added sweetener.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:44 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm not as concerned about nutritional value since I figure I can tweak that later. I'm just replacing my morning latte, so anything would be a nutritional improvement I suppose.

Do the soaked oaks make them much thicker? I love icy, icy smoothies. I'll be having it in the car, so I need to drink with a straw.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:49 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I like to use frozen fruit (usually bananas or mangoes) to give it a really thick milkshake consistency. I start with baby spinach and unsweetened plain almond milk and get that liquefied, then add the frozen fruit and sometimes a little more almond milk if needed to blend. I like to add peanut butter and protein powder too. Man, now I want a smoothie. I'm far too cold to drink them right now though!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Hmm. They're definitely thicker, but I still drink them with a straw. I bet you could blend everything up smooth (using enough liquid to make sure it wasn't too thick), then chuck in some ice and pulse to make it kind of a frapp-ish.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:53 pm 
WRETCHED

Frozen spinach and frozen berries would be a decent combo. Most of my morning smoothies are: soy or almond milk, coffee (freeze dried until recently), frozen raspberries or blueberries and some chocolate protein powder. you could play around with it if you wanted to and make a mocha like this without protein powder but you'd probably want some cacao or chocolate powder.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:42 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Berries + spinach sounds like a good idea to keep the sugar content low. You're going to exceed 15g of sugar pretty quickly once you start adding sugary fruits like bananas.

You're not going to have an icy smoothie if you make it the night before! Maybe you can fill your blender the night before, put it in the fridge, and then add ice and blend in the morning?

Smoothies are a great way to get your daily flax, too! And flax seeds are much, much cheaper than chia seeds.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:53 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

To chime in on the oatmeal part-it is good in smoothies cooked, too. And then they stay really creamy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:53 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

To chime in on the oatmeal part-it is good in smoothies cooked, too. And then they stay really creamy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:34 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

ashley wrote:
Berries + spinach sounds like a good idea to keep the sugar content low. You're going to exceed 15g of sugar pretty quickly once you start adding sugary fruits like bananas.

You're not going to have an icy smoothie if you make it the night before! Maybe you can fill your blender the night before, put it in the fridge, and then add ice and blend in the morning?

Smoothies are a great way to get your daily flax, too! And flax seeds are much, much cheaper than chia seeds.

It should stay icy overnight if I stick it in the very back, top shelf of the garage fridge. A latte will keep its ice cubes intact there for 24 hrs.

I can't use the Vitamix at 4:30am. It would wake the macaw and then he wouldn't go back to sleep and would yell, and then everybody would hate me.

Thanks for the good ideas. I've never actually had a green smoothie before.

I found a recipe for a pumpkin pie smoothie, using ice, almond milk, 1/2 cup pumpkin, and some dates, cinnamon, etc. good or gross? I can't decide.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:23 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Pumpkin pie smoothie sounds really good, but also sounds like it'd wind up higher in sugar than you want - at least to get it as sweet as pie!

I'm really curious about the oatmeal smoothie idea. We just got a Vitamix, but I've shied away from the smoothies because they're so high calorie and sort of nutritionally one-note if they're heavily fruit-based. I haven't gotten beyond berries, mango, and spinach/kale with almond milk. Would oatmeal improve a standard green smoothie and let me add less fruit?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:08 am 
Saggy Butt

It may be strange, but I'm a big fan of carrot smoothies. I typically blend a couple raw carrots, a little bit of almond butter (which you may want to omit if you're going for a low calorie-count), some almond milk, a sprinkling of coconut, cinnamon, ginger, and a teensy bit of agave. It tastes like carrot cake, is cheeeeeeap, and I don't think it would be super high in sugar.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:08 am 
Discovered unobtainium

That sounds good. I love carrot juice. I wouldn't have thought the almond milk would go though. I'll add it to my list to try.

This is exciting. I may as well get more use out of the Vitamix and not just make cashew cheese sauces all the time. I'll save money too, so I get this going as a regular routine, I can blow the budget on expensive ingredients and still come out ahead since it would probably be hard to make a $6 smoothie every (work) morning. Even every day, would be $3. We will see if I can forgo my morning lattes since those are typically the single best art of my day. Right now, I can't have even decaf coffee, so it's easy to try.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:13 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I've made pumpkin smoothies. I like them. Actually, if I can be bothered, sometimes I will roast a butternut squash until it's really, really soft, scoop it out with an ice cream scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets, and freeze.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:38 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i make a pumpkin pie smoothie with carrot juice- very similar to EmJaeDee's recipe.

i also often make- juice of a few oranges (usually 3 or 4), a banana or two, and whatever greens i have around (two or three large leaves of chard or collards, could also be parsley, which is cheap and gives a nice perky taste, or cilantro if you're so inclined). so simple and tastes so good.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:14 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I had one this morning with banana, a few dates, 1 tbsp peanut butter, some ice, and a few chocolate chips. It was goods! I'm feeling draggy without my caffeine though, even decaf is a good boost for me since I'm fairly caffeine sensitive.

I drank it over about 2 or so hours, so the sugar was ok.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:23 am 
Chard Martyr

I like simple smoothies. Frozen blueberries or raspberries (or mango), soy milk (the full-fat stuff for creaminess), and that's seriously it. The idea of putting canned pumpkin in my morning smoothie totally makes me want to barf, but to each their own! :) You might want to add Vega or a protein powder of some kind if you want to stay full longer.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:19 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

You have to freeze the pumpkin or you get a weird, baby food sort of textured smoothie. At least that's been my experience. And yeah, that's gross.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:35 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

ashley wrote:
I've made pumpkin smoothies. I like them. Actually, if I can be bothered, sometimes I will roast a butternut squash until it's really, really soft, scoop it out with an ice cream scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets, and freeze.

Brilliant!

I usually only drink smoothies in the summertime (winter is for muffins and tea around here), but I got really into them last summer. I always start with half a frozen banana, then add some frozen berries (strawberries are my favorite and the least expensive for me), a handful of baby spinach, unsweetened almond milk, and a tablespoon or so of cocoa powder. I don't love a lot of sugar either, but I can live with the amount that half a banana and a handful of berries give me.

Other add-ins for when I'm feeling less lazy: oatmeal (I don't soak mine, nor do I have a Vitamix, and they end up fine for me), a small amount of chia seeds, some almond butter. My favorite smoothie to date was: half a frozen banana, some frozen peach slices, unsweetened almond milk, a tablespoon or so of almond butter, and a small handful of oats. Oh, yum.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:50 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Day 2 of Operation No Latte in the morning. I just made one with almond butter, frozen banana, dates, almond-coconut milk (I love this stuff! Better not get hooked ; plain almond by the case is cheap at Costco), and a pack of Starbucks Via.

I was dying without my caffeine boost on Tuesday. Even decaf or half-caff really gives me a big boost. At Costco today I saw the packs of Via and decided to try. One pack should be less than a venti half-caff latte, right?

I also got chia seeds and goji berries. Will try some green smoothies over the weekend. I'm afraid the greens might cause digestive issues or stomach pains.

If I decide to brave Springfield traffic and delay getting on 95 after work tomorrow, I'll pop in Whole Foods and get yogurts, hemp seeds, and who knows what else. Since I'm on a strict junk food no buy, for once my budget should be safe in there.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:53 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Do you think spinach would be better for your stomach? I was adding kale to my smoothies and it caused...problems throughout the rest of the day. Now I add a handful of baby spinach instead. Isn't spinach cheaper than kale?

We are stuck in a smoothie rut (imposed by my so, who refuses any other smoothie mix): 1 banana, 1 cup baby spinach, 1 cup soy milk, 1 T ground flax, 1 cup strawberries. Are you still looking to be under 15 g sugar? Unfortunately a banana is like 16 g. Wow!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:04 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I just tried kale in a smoothie, so we will see. It's really delicious! 1 cup kale, 1 cup almond/coconut milk, 2 dates, 1 tbsp hemp seed, 1 frozen banana, and some ice. Molly kept trying to drag the cup over so she could stick her head in.

Hopefully I don't have digestive issues like I did when I tried kale pesto.

Kale is 2.49 for a ginormous 2lb bag. Spinach is 4.99 for a small 12ox box. Kale is the only cheap green here, though collards and mustard aren't too pricey.

I use my bananas a little less than ripe so they don't have as much sugar, but yeah, no real way to keep the sugars down much, so I have to just drink realllllly, realllly slowly. I have an insulated 20oz iced latte cup, so even if it takes me 3 hrs to drink, it's still chilled.

I'm just weird with sugar. The problem is that since my stomach was cut up and rearranged (sort of), sugar all hits at once, which can cause a sort of "sugar shock." I just have to be careful.

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]