| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sugar-free, Gluten-free Birthday Cake
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:50 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I've already posted this in the gluten-free forum but I'm hoping there are other answers as the recipes I've found unfortunately require a blender. So, I'm working on my birthday cake this year (which I'm actually really excited for!) and I'd like to make it as best as I can within certain restrictions. I've cut gluten and sugar from my diet, and after having some gluten in my dad's birthday cake three days ago, I don't want to go that route for my own. I would like to know if anyone has had success with the VCTOTW agave cupcake recipe after subbing the flour with gluten-free flours, and what those would be? In addition, I'd like to know if there's a good agave frosting recipe you can name? The Babycakes recipe calls for a few ingredients I don't have the money for right now, unfortunately, so something with similar ingredients to the cake would be perfecto.

By the way, my birthday is tomorrow, and I waited until the 11th hour to ask for help. Oy.

Post subject: Re: Sugar-free, Gluten-free Birthday Cake
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:28 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

What about a pudding pie?

Crust: ground/chopped nuts or gf crackers, some chopped dates (if you count those as sugar free), a melted little EB or coconut oil.

Pour on a chocolate pudding mix based on cornstarch, cocoa, soy milk, sweetener (agave if you want) and vanilla and/or almond extract.

Bake on 350 for an hour or so. Allow to cool and. Decorate with whipped coconut cream.

Edit: Or use Isa's version, only with agave instead of sugar (decrease the liquid to compensate), and sugar free chocolate.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:43 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Mmm that sounds delish, but I really want a traditional style birthday cake, because well I love cake.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:33 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Fair enough! :-)

if the nourishingmeals frostingis too expensive for you right now, I bet these substitutions would work:

2 cups organic palm shortening (Spectrum) Use Earth balance or coconut oil instead
1 cup arrowroot powder Use constrarch
1 cup agave nectar or maple syrup
4 teaspoons non-alcoholic vanilla Just use alcoholic if that's cheaper
2 teaspoons almond flavoring (non-alcoholic)
2 to 4 teaspoons beet juice (optional)

The remainder is not overly expensive or difficult to sub, or is it? (I wouldn't know, since I can't buy most of these things in Holland)

And if you don't have a blender, sub the pureed prunes in the cake batter with homemade apple sauce. If you get the right type of apples, they should disintegrate spontaneously when boiled in water.

Will that work out for you?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:22 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Ugh, this is too late now, I forgot to post this- clicking save instead, but hopefully you can use this for future reference.

----
Have you heard of Ricki Heller? For future treats, check her out.

To fulfill your request: here's vanilla, chocolate, chocolate and matcha, sweet potato and agave based chocolate with avocado based frosting, similarly, this recipe which you can double for a layer cake, hazelnut cake with chocolate frosting that could easily be made almond/pecan based- also this blog has some frosting recipes you may want to refer to, carrot cake, another carrot cake, lemon cake, chai maple, squash cake, lemon soaked nut cake, amaranth, and banana.

Also, I was going to suggest a gf german chocolate cake for the frosting's sake if nothing else, then remembered seeing this and this.

In this thread I posted some links you might find helpful. This onewould be the most helpful, maybe.

Here's some intense maple frosting, and peanut butter frosting.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:08 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Wow, Gwen, thanks for the wide variety of links! I will be using those all within the next month as the Whalentine's Bake Sale gets nearer. Thanks so much!

Thank you Cornelie for the help with the nourishingmeals recipe! I may use it sometime in the future! In the gluten-free forum, I posted about the recipe I used and the success I had with it. Very soft, amazingly flavorful cake. Mmmm. Wish I could show you guys.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:13 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My (not so secret) trick is when I know that a recipe does or may come out a little hard on the edges, I try to make it a day or two in advance and frost the hell out of it. Usually the frosting softens it up nicely and no one ever knows.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:21 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Jeeva, this one works wonderfully! Follow the recipe for the cupcakes and the frosting, and you'll be all set.