| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: I can't believe they made vegan _________.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:25 am 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 5138
Location: WV
Pinko wrote:
lycophyte wrote:
Vegan squid rings!

Image

Oh, god. Did anyone else listen to the This American Life about the imitation calamari? I don't think I could eat this without thinking about pork bung now, even though I know it's vegan.


Yes! That's the first thing I thought of when I saw that picture.

_________________
But if one were to tickle Pluto, I suspect that it might very quietly laugh. - pandacookie

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua


Awesome. Vegan. Rad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I can't believe they made vegan _________.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:20 am 
Offline
Lubes With Earth Balance
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:50 pm
Posts: 1579
Location: NJ -> Bristol UK
Efcliz wrote:
Does anyone know what brand of vegan haggis comes in a darker packet? I can get the McSween one and do enjoy it, but I had this other brand once and liked it better, but have never remembered the name. I'd know the packet if I saw it though.

ps Haaggis wrapped in puff pastry and baked is the utter biz.

Simon Howie's, perchance?
Image

_________________
vegan cheese bigamy is not allowed. - LisaPunk

So today at PPK I learned how to fork up a falafel and a taco. - craiger_ny


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I can't believe they made vegan _________.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:06 pm 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:18 am
Posts: 2621
Location: England
Yes! That's the one! Thanks.

_________________
http://cookingtheveganbooks.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I can't believe they made vegan _________.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:37 pm 
Offline
So Totally Yiffy
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:04 pm
Posts: 42
Cornelie wrote:
Deviled eggs: http://lagustasluscious.wordpress.com/2 ... like-eggs/

My boyfriend loves me extra much now that he knows I can make these. The recipe is very salty though, I used only 1/5th of the salt.



Wow, now that is a die-hard-boiled egg love. I did really like these when I was a kid and ate meat. Do you make them often? It looks like some intense work.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I can't believe they made vegan _________.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:22 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm
Posts: 4018
Location: Edinburgh
My stupid Tesco has a fridge endcap crammed full of regular haggis (several varieties of MacSween's and Simon Howie) but not a single veg one (though I can't eat MacSween's because of the nuts). mustards.

Re: texture - I've had both animal and veg haggis, and I've never had an oily or waxy haggis. It's a bit softer than ground beef, not at all waxy or oily. Dammit, now I want haggis.

_________________
A pie eating contest is a battle with no losers. - amandabear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I can't believe they made vegan _________.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:27 pm 
Offline
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:24 pm
Posts: 5499
Location: BRLA
OliviaL wrote:
Cornelie wrote:
Deviled eggs: http://lagustasluscious.wordpress.com/2 ... like-eggs/

My boyfriend loves me extra much now that he knows I can make these. The recipe is very salty though, I used only 1/5th of the salt.



Wow, now that is a die-hard-boiled egg love. I did really like these when I was a kid and ate meat. Do you make them often? It looks like some intense work.


I was actually thinking it looks pretty easy! The hardest part would be obtaining the molds and then it kind of just follows like a really easy candy recipe. More work than a regular deviled egg, though.

_________________
The thing about this thread is, it's dumb. - IJDI


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I can't believe they made vegan _________.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:40 pm 
Offline
Mediocre Tart
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 4720
Location: People's Republic of Glasgow
rachell37 wrote:
My stupid Tesco has a fridge endcap crammed full of regular haggis (several varieties of MacSween's and Simon Howie) but not a single veg one (though I can't eat MacSween's because of the nuts). mustards.

forking Co-op never had any veg ones either. Bastids! Should've gone to Peckham's, but I couldn't be arsed by that point. Shows me.

_________________
#sexysocialism

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I can't believe they made vegan _________.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:20 pm 
Offline
So Totally Yiffy
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:04 pm
Posts: 42
intriguing....should I make this?

http://melomeals.blogspot.com/2012/05/v ... ecipe.html


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I can't believe they made vegan _________.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:05 pm 
Offline
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:38 am
Posts: 1371
Location: Windmill row
Fee wrote:
OliviaL wrote:
Cornelie wrote:
Deviled eggs: http://lagustasluscious.wordpress.com/2 ... like-eggs/

My boyfriend loves me extra much now that he knows I can make these. The recipe is very salty though, I used only 1/5th of the salt.

Wow, now that is a die-hard-boiled egg love. I did really like these when I was a kid and ate meat. Do you make them often? It looks like some intense work.

I was actually thinking it looks pretty easy! The hardest part would be obtaining the molds and then it kind of just follows like a really easy candy recipe. More work than a regular deviled egg, though.

Yes, it is really easy, even easier than with chicken eggs I think, since you don't have to peel the eggs, you can just plop them out of their molds. I use extra tiny dip bowls as molds, they're round, not egg-shaped, but it's close enough. Just cook the milk with the black salt and agar for a few minutes and pour it into the molds. Blend the filling ingredients while the agar sets, hollow out the eggs a little and pipe in the filling. I make them quite regularly since my guy likes them so much (even pregan I've personally always thought eggs are vile, but that's love for ya).

_________________
Can you read Dutch? Kom eens kijken op Vegetus!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: I can't believe they made vegan _________.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:11 pm 
Offline
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:38 am
Posts: 1371
Location: Windmill row
OliviaL wrote:

I tried it and wasn't very impressed. It makes a nice tangy spread, but it doesn't taste like blue cheese to me.

_________________
Can you read Dutch? Kom eens kijken op Vegetus!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer