| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What to do with Nutritional Yeast?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:48 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

seitanicverses wrote:
beethecookie wrote:
I have a question about nutritional yeast. I have only ever bought it from the bulk bins at Whole Foods, and they use Red Star brand. I like the taste fine, but I can't seem to handle the smell. Sometimes it ruins the whole dish for me, unless I use it super sparingly. Is this characteristic of all nooch, like do other brands taste/smell different? Or is this just something I have to live with?

I've tried various brands and the smell/taste is the same across the board. Just use it sparingly. I do the same thing. I have a nooch threshold and it seems to be around 1/4 cup per recipe of four servings (so, usually no more than 1 tbsp. of nooch per serving of whatever).

I actually find that Red Star tends to be a bit stronger in taste and flavor than other brands... Maybe try a different brand and see if it works better for you?

As for nooch, I put it on garlic bread before baking, on popcorn with EVOO+dill+garlic salt, and in making mac and cheese sauce. And for sprinkling on everything, obviously.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:52 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

vixki wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions all! I have a question, can I bake with it? I'm really wanting to make some cheese-straw style things with it. If I buy some puff pastry can I roll some nooch into it? Do you think it'd work?

I would think that would work (maybe check out Audrey's recipe suggestion). And you can bake with it, I would probably add some moisture to it depending on what you're going for, just so it doesn't burn. Maybe mix with oil or marg and use a pastry brush to brush onto whatever you're baking? Or if it's in a batter it would probably be fine.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:07 pm 
Nailed to the V

choirqueer wrote:
I'm in the Put It On Everything camp, but one of my favorite things to do with it is thicken sauces/soups. I like the consistency it adds better than flour or cornstarch, plus it's tastier and has more nutrients. I make a sauce that I usually use for tempeh, which is basically balsamic vinegar, nutritional yeast, curry powder, cinnamon, ginger, a little chipotle, a little cloves, and a crapton of garlic.

Would you mind explaining your process? I love all of those things and want to make this happen.