| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you been baking?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:04 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I have samoas (from VCTOYCJ) in the oven right now. They look promising!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:22 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I just made absurdly boozy Irish car bomb cupcakes. I'm not Irish. Image (Sorry it's so big)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:36 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Cool! Thanks guys! What do cheddar biscuits go with for dinner? Maybe cesar salad?

pretty sure cheddar biscuits are dinner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:38 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

adventuresoflandooe wrote:
I just made absurdly boozy Irish car bomb cupcakes. I'm not Irish. (Sorry it's so big)

Clearly you aren't Irish. Can you please think about this for a minute or two?

Why is it always ok to shiitake on the Irish? Think about that too, please. And then maybe go pick up a good book on Irish history,

This really peas me the fork off.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:57 pm 
And you never will.

Yeah, I get that you probably didn't think about it adventuresoflandooe, but that's a pretty shitty name for cupcakes. They look nice, but you should call them something else. Just because there is a drink called that, doesn't mean there should be.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:00 pm 
And you never will.

Oh yeah, I came in here to post that I made really yummy chocolate stout cupcakes with Irish whiskey buttercream (to which I also added a touch of Kahlua). They are sooooo good.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:04 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

poopiebitch wrote:
Oh yeah, I came in here to post that I made really yummy chocolate stout cupcakes with Irish whiskey buttercream (to which I also added a touch of Kahlua). They are sooooo good.

Recipe? I'm trying to plan a nice Irish menu for mom and I. She is going to make her colcannon. If I have to eat kale, I need chocolate to compensate.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:34 pm 
And you never will.

I made the chocolate stout cupcakes (minus the crumb topping) from VCTOTW, using Guinness Extra Stout (the extra stout, in a bottle, brewed in Canada is vegan) and dutch processed cocoa, then I made my usual buttercream but replaced the soy milk with a mix of Jameson's and Kahlua (more whiskey than Kahlua). They are seriously so amazing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:36 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I made VWAV maple walnut scones this morning. Mmm. I went and bought more maple extract just so I can top the remaining ones with maple glaze, doughnut-style.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:39 pm 
And you never will.

Well, now I want maple glazed maple walnut scones.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:08 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

What's your buttercream recipe? I need to make these tonight. Yum!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:14 pm 
And you never will.

I do 1/2 cup each Earth Balance and shortening (1 stick each if you're using sticks) softened at room temp, with 1/4 tsp salt, creamed until fluffy. I then add to it 1 pound sifted powdered sugar, 1 1/5 tsp vanilla and about 3 Tbs soy milk (or in this case about 2 Tbs whiskey and 1 Tbs Kahlua or soy milk), and beat it for about 5 minutes, until it's fluffy. I use my stand mixer, so times may vary if you're using a hand-held.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:19 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:22 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I apologize if the name of the drink bothers you, but I didn't invent it. I think it's fine to express your displeasure with the name of the drink in itself, but it does exist, and there are plenty of people who have the same cultural background who told me they made a similar adaptation (with the same name) themselves. It is just as disrespectful to automatically assume that I know nothing just because you don't think that name should be used. My culture is pretty constantly misrepresented as well, but instead of getting upset, I just try to engage in a dialogue because that's really the best way for others to learn.

I worked really hard on those, and I just wanted to share my work. If you prefer, they are brooklyn brewery chocolate stout cupcakes with a Jameson truffle baked into the center, topped with a homemade "Bailey's" buttercream and jameson spiked dulce de leche that I made from scratch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:31 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Pretty much any Irish person has family seriously impacted by "the troubles." This is not ancient history. It's just not a cupcake issue and I get very tired of pain and suffering being used to "celebrate" a cultural holiday. There is a great deal of beauty in Irish culture. Why must we use the ugly and the bloodshed? I'm sure there are plenty of actually descriptive names that would do justice to your yummy cupcakes.

I'll be shocked if any of the other Irish PPKers find it fine and dandy and not at all offensive.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:36 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

adventuresoflandooe wrote:
I apologize if the name of the drink bothers you, but I didn't invent it. I think it's fine to express your displeasure with the name of the drink in itself, but it does exist, and there are plenty of people who have the same cultural background who told me they made a similar adaptation (with the same name) themselves. It is just as disrespectful to automatically assume that I know nothing just because you don't think that name should be used. My culture is pretty constantly misrepresented as well, but instead of getting upset, I just try to engage in a dialogue because that's really the best way for others to learn.

Yeah, this. I get why people would be offended (and also get why some people would not! I've heard both sides defended), but I feel like it's a bigger issue than these cupcakes (that do look delicious, btw!) and thought the response here was pretty harsh. For the record (not that it really matters), I have an Irish heritage, with two grandparents from Ireland and an Irish last name.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:22 pm 
And you never will.

I won't speak for lavawitch, but I don't think I was being harsh. I said that it was a shitty name for cupcakes (which I stand by), and that just because there is a drink called that, doesn't mean there should be. I don't think it's cute or appetizing to name anything after a terrorist act, and I don't have to be Irish to see why it would be offensive.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:09 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I think they mean that I was being harsh and I'm probably supposed to apologize.

(as to defending both sides, I'd love to know which funerals those people have been to)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:43 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

The arguments I've seen made generally come from people that think you shouldn't take life too seriously. (Some) people like to make jokes about things that are really dark, and that doesn't just go for people who haven't been affected by whatever the subject matter is. It's like how sometimes people with cancer will make jokes about cancer. It's not that cancer is funny, but sometimes making light of a situation takes the edge off. And yeah, a lot of people will find it inappropriate and offensive and irreverent, and that's okay, too. Not saying I agree with it one way or another... just that it's an argument I've heard.

Anyway, I'm sure a mod is going to come along soon and tell us to get back to the discussion of baking, so... yeah! Cookies! Cakes! Bread! Pie!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:50 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Well, I've been put in my place.

Carry on with the cakes, cookies, and pies.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:58 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Oh, well then I do apologise for being completely and utterly offended by the cupcake name. I could be awful and make a cupcake that offends other people but I won't because I'm not like that at all.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:10 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I get why people would be into this kind of humour, but it's really one you should reserve for people who you know feel the same way about it/are close, etc.
I normally don't say stuff like this because... well, I'm German. And if people call German stuff "funny" names because lolyou'renazibutit'sjustfun. Because trivializing horrible murders is always so much fun.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:19 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Thanks VB x

It's sad that racism against Irish and German people is deemed socially acceptable. I wonder would people think it is alright if we made a cupcake that celebrated terrorist attacks on the USA or suicide bombers in Israel or Iraq on days of significance to their culture?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:10 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

So, a device designed to blow the bottom half of people's bodies off, usually outside their homes (in front of.. you know... their families and all) is an acceptable form of Northern Irish history and humour because because it's represented by a tasty, tasty cupcake? I was in Lisburn with my parents when this happened. It wasn't tasty, or a bit o'craic, it was slaughter, and hoards of people running past us with the most horrified expressions on their faces I had ever seen.

Twin tower teacake anyone?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:16 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

fezza wrote:
So, a device designed to blow the bottom half of people's bodies off, usually outside their homes (in front of.. you know... their families and all) is an acceptable form of Northern Irish history and humour because because it's represented by a tasty, tasty cupcake? I was in Lisburn with my parents when this happened. It wasn't tasty, or a bit o'craic, it was slaughter, and hoards of people running past us with the most horrified expressions on their faces I had ever seen.

Twin tower teacake anyone?

You said something similar to what was on my mind..... twin tower apple crumble pie. I bet if we can on here and posted our pictures of them on 9/11 we would probably cause massive uproar and end up banned. But who cares about Irish being the butt of jokes. It's not racism because we are only dumb paddys.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 25  Next