| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Easy Dinner Ideas for Vacation Condo?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:16 pm 
Saggy Butt

We're renting a condo for a two week vacation, and plan on doing a lot of cooking at the rental to save on cash. I'm not sure what kind of cooking utensils will be available but there will be a microwave, stove and maybe a grill. I'm looking for some ideas that won't require a lot of ingredients, since we don't want to waste anything we won't be able to use up. I'm planning on bringing a few spices and nooch (duh) and maybe one of my cookbooks. We plan on making burritos and stir fry, but that's pretty much all we've got planned so far.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Post subject: Re: Easy Dinner Ideas for Vacation Condo?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:15 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

You are super smart to bring spices. We rented a condo for a week and didn't think of that, and we had to buy EVERYTHING including salt and oil! For a grill, I'd do tofu (marinated in whatever), veg, and potatoes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:38 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I'm staying in an apartment in Spain for a week from tomorrow and the first thing I packed this morning was a baggie of nooch!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:03 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

we just got back from a week in a time share and we did not have an actual oven but we had a microwave and there were bbq grills.

we brought veg burgers and buns, field roast sausages, ramen (which we never ended up eating), and we ate a ton of pbj for lunch.
when we've stayed with my in laws in Orlando at their time share where they have a full refrig (instead of a mini fridge) and an oven we've done like a taco/burrito bar, i made a veg curry once.

usually if you have an oven you should be able to find the basics of dishware like a pot or pan, can opener, etc.

we always go to the grocery store once we are there and load up. we bought a couple pre made salads at the deli which is hard for vegans to find something but my husband got potato salad. you could also make bean salad, potato salad, etc and keep it int he fridge. bring some tupperware to dole it out into and a cooler to take things with you during the day.

i asked a similar question before our week at the Cape and people suggested bring a george foreman grill. we didnt end up doing it but i thought it was a great idea HOWEVER the place we stayed had very strict rules about what you could use in your room. there was no cooking except with the toaster or microwave that was already in there. yours might be different since you have an actual oven

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:22 am 
Saggy Butt

Oh right, Tupperware! I have to remember to bring some since there might not be anything to store leftovers in.
I think it would be a little easier to plan if we had some idea of what was there. If we were driving, I'd consider bringing our griddler but it would be too heavy for a suitcase. I really want to bring my own knife, as the ones at rentals suck. I'm guessing that probably wouldn't go over well with security though. Maybe I'll bring a sharpener and hope for the best.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:39 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i would just plan on stocking up at a grocery store when you get there. stuff like zip lock bags, aluminum foil, food staples, etc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:54 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

we just got back from a holiday where we rented different apartments in different cities we were in. Some apartment kitchens were more sparsely equipped and some had everything and more that we could need. We brought a spice mix with us (cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, ginger, chinese 5 spice and/or whatever you like) and used that for tofu scrambles and also roasted chickpeas. We did go grocery shopping at each place for basics. We made tofu scrambles, roasted chickpeas and veg, pasta and sauce, stir fries. Because we were in new countries, we also we able to try some new, to us, faux meat. If we purchased faux meat, then we'd buy a couple of fresh veggies for the side. In rainy Iceland, we found a tofurkey pizza that we had one night---it was the first time this little grocer brought in tofurkey products and my partner loves tofurkey--so although it was really expensive, it was a nice treat (and still much cheaper than going out for dinner). We also found some frozen dinners (like rice and beans or shanghai noodles and veg etc) that we tried for a couple of nights. Although it was great to have a kitchen, some nights we opted for easy dinners or it started to feel like being at home all the time......what's for dinner, grocery shopping, cleaning up etc. Still loved to have a kitchen, tho

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:53 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Oh, I do this every year :) We stay in a condo for coachella, and try to cook breakfast and lunch every day, plus a dinner the first and last night. We usually do a mexican night BBQ so I make a bunch of beans, rice, salsa etc. Veggies for myself and meat for everyone else. LOTS of leftovers. Pasta dinner on the last night, with salad, bread, roasted potatoes etc.

I have learned to bring stuff I think will either not be in the condo, or available at a local store. Luckily I can drive, so I can pack heavy. All other stuff I buy at a local grocery store. Produce, frozen entrees etc.

But since you are flying, I would just stick with the spices. Maybe your knife if you check it? Honestly, you can find almost all food items in ANY store you go to. Produce, grains, tofu and soymilk. Maybe not faux meat or cheeses.

instead of a cookbook, take some pictures of recipes in your phone or ipad. Then you wont have to carry a cookbook! Plan ahead and use recipes that don't use faux meats and cheeses. AFR is a good book for that, if you have it.

Here is what I bring when I drive

- Spices i can't do without
- Nutritional Yeast
- my favorite brand of Tofu/tempeh
- Faux meats & Cheeses (I do a lot of sandwiches and sausages and stuff)
- my good knife
- my good non-stick
- my friends waffle maker
- fancypants beer, wine and coffee that i cant get at the supermarket