| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins recipe..doubts!!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:47 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi!I'm new here, even if I've been following the ppk since months :). I write you because I've a doubt about the lemon poppy seed recipe from Vegan Brunch (I hope this is the correct section of the forum!): I followed Isa's recipe but the dough seemed really liquid, it should be that way?I added some flour (well, a considerable amount :P) and the result was quite good, maybe too "floury", but they seemed more like cupcakes than muffins!On the contrary, yesterday I cooked S'more cupcakes and they were between cupcake and muffin form!I think that in this case the problem could be overmixing, but does anyone have my problem with lemon poppy seed muffins?I searched in the forum but I didn't see anything!thank you very much!

Post subject: Re: Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins recipe..doubts!!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:00 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Hi, tifacrust,

I actually just made the Vegan Brunch lemon poppy muffins two weeks ago. I didn't have any problems with the batter, though. I guess it could have been a measuring issue for you? It sounds like you did the right thing to remedy the problem by adding flour. The end result for me were very moist, tender muffins, so I get what you're saying about them being like cupcakes! They're delicious lightly toasted with Earth Balance or jam!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:10 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi beethecookie, thank you for your answer!Maybe it's a matter of measuring, I have one big cup on which are marked 1/4 cup, 1/2 cup etc and usually I don't have any problems with it, but mistakes might happen!Yep, I think the muffin is thought to be moist and tender, as we love it, no matter if it's a cupcake or a muffin,they're awesome! :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:23 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Hey tifacrust - I make these muffins on a fairly regular basis and have never had an issue. My batter is usually muffin-like and they come out with a good muffin texture, but I modify the recipe by subbing half of the oil for unsweetened applesauce and half of the flour for white whole wheat, which likely plays a part in that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:53 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

The measuring cup you have sounds like a wet measuring cup, which might be the problem. http://reluctantgourmet.com/tools/tools ... uring-cups There's a difference between measuring cups for dry ingredients versus wet ingredients, so if you use the same cup for all ingredients, measurements might be off.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:32 pm 
Tofu Pup

Mm robynn the applesauce tip must be a good one :)!By the way I answered your topic about Madrid ;)
Meredith:thank you, I think what you said is the issue. I've always used that big cup for dry and wet stuff, even if now that you say that I remember that the instructions said that it's not suitable for liquids..now I understand why!!!(even if my cup seems more a liquid one than a dry one,but instructions speak clear! :O)So, should I use two different kinds of cups?Or is there a way to manage it with only a set of measuring cups?I ask it because where I live it's pretty hard to find measuring cups-almost impossible to find both kinds of cups!! Thank you so much you all :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:16 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Tifacrust, what you have sounds like a liquid measure. It's possible to measure dry stuff in a liquid measure (the increments are the same), it's just more difficult to be exact as you can't 'level off' dry products in a liquid measure. If possible, I'd recommend getting a set of dry measure cups as well. If you aren't able to purchase measuring cups locally, perhaps you can order some online? If you let us know where you're located, we might be able to point you in the right direction. :-)