| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: engine 2 hummus
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:25 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

I went to WF on my lunch break today and as I went to grab some hummus I noticed they are now selling “Engine 2 Hummus”
Intrigued I took a peak at it. I don’t remember every single ingredient but it was basically garbanzo beans, roasted red peppers, and spices. There was no oil of any kind (obviously) and NO TAHINI! Can you still call it hummus if there is no oil or tahini???? One of the last few ingredients was “sesame seeds” so there was a wee bit of sesame in there but not actual tahini.
Has anyone tried this hummus or made hummus without oil or tahini? I wasn’t intrigued enough to buy it but it basically sounds like a garbanzo bean spread which im sure could be yummy. It did however have “carrot fiber” in it which grossed me out only if it added a carrot flavor to it. im sure it’s really healthy but im kinda picky on how I consume carrots cause I feel like they have a strong flavor and it’s not one of my favorite.

i guess at the end of the day my personal opinion is hummus didnt need to improved upon cause it is the food given to us by the almighty hummus gods. (ie i love hummus ;-) )

Post subject: Re: engine 2 hummus
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:53 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

That sounds pretty hard core. I think that even Eat to Live hummus has tahini in it (as long as it's from unroasted sesame seeds).

I think I've made low-fat hummus before, probably without both... but I'm not sure if at the same time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:55 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Hmm I guess they just said sesame seeds on the label instead of tahini to make it more recognizable to the consumer? Although whoever is thinking of buying engine 2 hummus would likely know about tahini? Either way, the tahini should be closer to the top of the ingredient list.

Growing up eating hummus, I just can't eat most store bought ones. It never tastes right. Some even have canola oil..o_O Also I notice in a lot of recipes they add oil to the mix as it's blending. That isn't standard operating procedure in the Middle East and when it is done, it's only like a couple teaspoons.(I once saw a recipe that called for a half cup (!) of oil for a can's worth of chickpeas...) Instead the oil is drizzled on top. Tahini, however, is always used--at different concentrations per the chef's taste or as a cost saving method in unscrupulous restaurants.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:07 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I've actually tried 2 kinds with no oil or tahini- Good Neighbors Simply Zero No Fat Hummus, and Cedars Fat-free Hommus. They're both ok- I actually really like the taste of the Good Neighbors one a lot. That said, I prefer hummus with some tahini in it. The little Wild Garden brand shelf-stable packs have tahini, and are pretty good, but are a bit too cumin-y for me.

ETA: Also I buy canned hummus from the Middle eastern section of my grocery sometimes that just has tahini, no oil, so it seems that is pretty common, as was said above. some people probably take it out the can and put some oil on top before serving.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:36 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i think my version of low fat hummus is i dont put quite the entire amount of tahini in that the recipe calls for.
i probably make up for it with extra olive oil.

this might be why i am a tubby vegan though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:42 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

i varying ratios of water and oil when i want a lower fat hummus. i've made no oil hummus before, but not without tahini. it's pretty essential in my opinion, otherwise it's mediterranean bean dip!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:50 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I think that having the right tool makes a bit of a difference as well. With a blendtec, the hummus comes out beyond creamy. My old blender did an ok job, but it doesn't compare. I can use less fat and still achieve smoooothness!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:58 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ijustdiedinside wrote:
but not without tahini. it's pretty essential in my opinion, otherwise it's mediterranean bean dip!

this is what i was thinking when i read the ingredients. i was like "well this isnt hummus sillies!"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:06 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I think I've made hummus without oil or tahini when my husband was on a low fat diet for gallstones. Though I think I added a tiny bit of toasted sesame oil to make up for the lack of tahini. If you have to eat a certain way, you make due with what's available.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:55 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

If I'm just making hummus for myself and want to keep the calories low, I generally don't use oil (or maybe just a tablespoon or so) and cut back a lot on the tahini. Of course it's not as good, but it's okay. It'd be half tahini if I made it the way I really wanted it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:51 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I make it without oil and tahini sometimes and since I have never found a homemade recipe that is as awesome as store-bought hummus, it still tastes the same as any other homemade one I have made.

I make it that way though because my husband needs it that way. But yeah, it is a bean dip.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:24 pm 
Inflexitarian

I had some of this the other day when a friend offered me some of hers. It was ok. Definitely better than a lot of storebought hummuses, many of which I think have a foamy texture. I'm not a huge fan of red pepper hummus though, because it's sweeter than I like my hummus. But if you like red pepper hummus, I'd say sure, try it out.

I have had some pretty delicious hummus/mediterranean style bean dip with only a tiny amount of olive oil (or maybe none, I can't remember) and only a tiny (like, 1 spoonful for a huge party's worth of hummus) amount of tahini, which seems pretty negligible to me, when my friend who has MS and eats super, super low fat made some recently. Nothing wrong with some garlicky chickpea spread.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:25 pm 
Inflexitarian

(oops, double post.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:42 pm 
***LIES!!!***

There are traditional variations of hummus that don't call for tahini (some replace the tahini with yogurt, for example). Hummus just means "chickpeas." Hummus with just olive oil is actually great. One thing that might improve low-fat hummus is serving it warm.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Well, tahini is basically just ground up sesame seeds, so if they ground up the sesame it would just be hummus without oil? Maybe that was what they meant? Anyway, I have made fat free hummus a ton of times (although, always with plenty of tahini. It's one of my favorite calcium sources), just by mixing chickpeas, tahini, garlic, lemon, salt and pepper + water to thin it out a little. It's delicious and tastes a lot like a less dense version of palestinian hummus. I can't imagine turkish hummus without at least some of the oil, though. But there are so many types of hummus from different middle eastern regions and they are all made differently. Hummus diversity is awesome :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:58 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Doesn't the AFR hummus skip the tahini and just add a teeny bit of oil? I haven't made it in a while, but I remember I love that hummus.

The Vitamix recipe also just calls for sesame seeds and I guess the magic power turns them into de facto tahini.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:09 pm 
***LIES!!!***

smoothie wrote:
Well, tahini is basically just ground up sesame seeds, so if they ground up the sesame it would just be hummus without oil? Maybe that was what they meant?

It sounds like they're just adding a small amount of seeds for garnish and a little flavor, rather than a quantity that would replace the tahini.

Quote:
Anyway, I have made fat free hummus a ton of times (although, always with plenty of tahini. It's one of my favorite calcium sources), just by mixing chickpeas, tahini, garlic, lemon, salt and pepper + water to thin it out a little.

I almost can't bear to tell you that tahini is almost entirely fat. Your hummus is just oil-free, still plenty high in fat.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:44 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

smoothie wrote:
Anyway, I have made fat free hummus a ton of times (although, always with plenty of tahini. It's one of my favorite calcium sources), just by mixing chickpeas, tahini, garlic, lemon, salt and pepper + water to thin it out a little.

isnt tahini like all fat?

i know when i cut down on tahini in my hummus its to reduce the fat a little since i probably already dumped a ton of olive oil in.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:10 pm 
Nailed to the V

I'm doing the Engine 2 thing this month and I made the hummus last night for my sandwich for todays lunch. It's kind of ...paste like. You definitely miss the oil and tahini flavour. I didn't see the pre-made hummus, but I did see the cereal when shopping last night. Hmm.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:54 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I really like the Cedars fat-free roasted red pepper hummus. I know I'm sacrificing the texture with it, but the flavor is really good. It was on sale @ WF 2/$4 and I couldn't pass up the bargain.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:46 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I saw that Dreena Burton had done a hummus recipe for them (?) which had no oil in it, and all the rabid fans were complaining that it contained tahini. Crazy-town.
I understand people wanting to reduce fat and all, but tahini is a pretty important part of hummus.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:14 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Hummus without tahini is still tasty, if low fat is the goal. I enjoy the tahini-free recipe from AFR; it's perfectly fine. The dill variation is particularly yum.

Do I prefer it lovely and creamy with lots of tahini? Sure, but then I have to watch how much I eat and parcel it out. The AFR hummus can be chowed down on at will so it serves a purpose.

It's like falafel. In a perfect world, I could eat deep fried evilly high in calorie falafel weekly and have my hips still fit through the doorway. But, since I enjoy it for lunch often, the baked version is great too, especially dipped in the AFR extra paprika hummus.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:11 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I was at WF yesterday and they were sampling 3 flavors of engine 2 hummus. I tried roasted red pepper and jalapeno something; I forget what the one was I didn't try. They were okay, but I don't like hummus. But for people who like flavored hummus I think the jalapeno would be good.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:13 am 
WRETCHED

ijustdiedinside wrote:
i varying ratios of water and oil when i want a lower fat hummus. i've made no oil hummus before, but not without tahini. it's pretty essential in my opinion, otherwise it's mediterranean bean dip!

I'm going to go with this. Tahini is central, the oil can vary.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:16 am 
WRETCHED

LisaPunk wrote:
smoothie wrote:

isnt tahini like all fat?

i know when i cut down on tahini in my hummus its to reduce the fat a little since i probably already dumped a ton of olive oil in.

Tahini is fat and protein, like most nuts/seeds. Olive oil is all fat though, that is one reason I prefer tahini to olive oil in my hummus as tahini gives more flavor, a bit of protein and a bit of fat. I can omit the olive oil, I can't omit the tahini.