| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chocolate chip cookies: What am I doing wrong?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:06 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I have now made chocolate chip cookies twice, using two different recipes, and both times they have come out exactly the same. Flat, fused to the baking sheet in spite of greasing it, and crumbling into pieces when you try to pry them off.

The first time was the recipe in Vegan Diner. The second time was Isa's recipe from the PPK blog.

I'm so bummed. We were making these for my husband's coworkers, and they are not getting them because I don't want these crumbly messes to be anyone's first experience with vegan cookies.

I followed the instructions to the letter, measured carefully and everything. I'm mystified, especially since two different recipes came out EXACTLY the same. The recipe says they'll only spread a little...well they spread like MAD. These should have been 2.5" cookies. They spread to touch each other and are more like 4-5" cookies.

These pics are all of Isa's recipe.

Here's a pic of batch 1:

Batch 2, which was taken out of the oven 1 minute sooner...looks better on the pan, but was stuck and crumbled when we tried to get them off:

Any ideas? This is very frustrating.

Post subject: Re: Chocolate chip cookies: What am I doing wrong?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I can't speak for the recipes, because I haven't tried either of them, but that second batch looks pretty good! I always make cookies on parchment, which makes them easy to transfer.

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:16 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

yes, parchment paper is pretty important.
what kind of fat are you using? if it's margarine, do not use whipped or low fat.
is your baking powder/baking soda new? if it's more than 6 months old, get some new.
is your oven temp. correct? you might need to get an oven thermometer in order to find the right temperature.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:21 pm 

I used what the recipe called for -- I don't remember what the Vegan Diner one called for, but Isa's recipe called for canola oil.

Baking soda is brand new, just bought 2 weeks ago.

Oven temp is correct -- it always cooks things in the lower end of the time listed on the recipe.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:54 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

hm..that's very weird! i've made both of those recipes a bunch of times and haven't had spreading like that. I believe both recipes call for canola oil.

Definitely get parchment because that second batch looks thin, but definitely ok if they hadn't broken up a lot.

Maybe try refrigerating your dough for an hour or so. I do this if my cookie dough seems thin. I think it helps the flour to absorb some of the liquid a little more and the dough will be thicker and should spread less.

Have you made any other vegan cookies that came out well?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:00 pm 

The VWAV chocolate chip cookie recipe is what I made last year for a party, but since I used Earth Balance it came out salty. Now I can't get the other vegan margarine I was going to try this year because Meijer quit carrying it, so I'm stuck with EB, and since it's so expensive I wasn't keen on making the recipe again with EB, especially since they came out salty. I'm hesitant to perform another experiment to try to figure out how much to reduce the salt the recipe calls for.

Otherwise, they came out fine.

I'm guessing we should have tried adding more flour. We didn't roll them into balls by hand; I used a cookie scoop. They were spreading on the sheet before we even put them in the oven. The thinness makes them way too crispy. They do taste good, they just look bad and are too thin.

I do have parchment, I just didn't use it this time since the recipe just said to grease the baking sheets.

It's just weird that both recipes came out the same way!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:06 pm 
Impressive boner

Were either batches over-browned on the bottoms? Normally when mine come out in the way you've described it's because of the type of fat I've used combined with over cooking. You could try cooking them for a couple of minutes less and see if that makes any difference.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:10 pm 

yeah i agree that it's super weird, especially because those recipes are very different from each other. i'd probably try Isa's recipe again, cutting down the oil and milk by a tablespoon each and also refrigerating the dough. I wonder if it has something to do with the brand of flour you're using? I think rather than adding additional flour, I'd start out with less liquid and if you need to add a little bit more liquid in at the end, you can always do that.

For the VWAV cookies, did you omit the salt in the recipe? If you did and you still found them too salty, you could use half EB margarine and half shortening

But yeah, if the dough is already spreading on the sheet, then they are going to come out way too thin. I always use parchment regardless of whether or not the recipe calls for it. It makes transfer and clean up so much easier.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:16 pm 

I didn't omit the salt from the VWAV recipe, because it was my very first time baking with EB and I had no idea I needed to reduce the salt in the recipe. I took them to the party anyway and people liked them, but I thought they were too salty. I wasn't even really vegan yet...I had gotten VWAV from the library and wanted to try a recipe from it, so that's what I made.

These definitely weren't overly browned -- some of them we actually wondered if they were done!

I might reduce the oil to 1/2 cup next time and see what happens. The paper towels they were cooling on are pretty oily now. We definitely did the vigorous 2-minute stir with the sugar and oil and such, so it's not that....my husband stirred it good with a whisk for about 2 1/2 minutes until it was caramel-like.

The white all purpose flour from this link is what I used: http://grasshoppers.csaware.com/add-on- ... ills-C1006

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:15 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

How do you measure your flour?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:26 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

exactly. if you scoop (put the measuring cup in the bag and smoosh the flour into the cup) you are using more flour than if you pour or spoon the flour into the measuring cup.

(for isa/terry's recipes you should scoop.) it definitely seems like you might not have enough flour. (but those 2nd cookies look perfect. are you letting the cookies cool on the sheet? if you use parchment and transfer the cookies to a rack to cool, they'll be happier. not to mention, if you let them cool on the sheet, they'll be much more difficult to remove. this sounds like it might be your problem.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:29 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I've made the vegan diner ones and they are great, sorry you are having problems! i do not chill the dough, i just scoop it out with a cookie scooper onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. i also give my flour a big stir and then spoon it into my measuring cup and level it off.

are you using an air bake baking or insulated baking sheet? i used to use an air bake/insulated baking sheet and had all kind of cookie baking woes since the top surface was not getting screaming hot the cookies would spread a bunch before they set up.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:37 pm 

Nicole wrote:

I carefully spooned it and leveled it with a flour scoop, into the measuring cup.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:38 pm 

We did let them cool on the sheet first, for 5 minutes as the recipe said.

No special fancy baking sheets, as far as I know they're just regular.

I swear I followed the recipe to the letter and this is what we got. :(

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:48 pm 

karichelle wrote:
Nicole wrote:

I carefully spooned it and leveled it with a flour scoop, into the measuring cup.

there's your problem.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:23 pm 

supercarrot wrote:
karichelle wrote:
Nicole wrote:

there's your problem.

I thought you weren't supposed to jam it or pack it in there, so how is that a problem? As far as I am aware, scooping it into the measuring cup with a scoop and then leveling it, is the correct way to measure flour.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:26 pm 

I think she's just saying its a problem because it seems like both your batches didn't have enough flour

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:27 pm 

So I guess next time I'll just jam the measuring cup in the flour and use it as the scoop? LOL

The Real Hamburger Helper

I learned that the correct way was to scoop in the bag (pack it in) and level off with a knife or something. I actually usually level it off with the side of the bag to skip this step. I don't know if either way is "correct" but you need to do it the same way the recipe writer did it.

Chip Strong

Looks like the time a friend confused flour with powdered sugar. Assuming you didn't make that mistake, it seems not enough flour may be the problem. I use the scoop and sweep method for all recipes, unless the recipe calls for something else. Lightly sporking the flour into the cup will result in less flour than scooping the flour out then leveling it off.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:29 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

karichelle wrote:
So I guess next time I'll just jam the measuring cup in the flour and use it as the scoop? LOL

Exactly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:30 pm 

I promise we used flour and not powdered sugar. ;) I actually don't have any powdered sugar in the house at the moment.

I usually do just jam it in there and level it off unless I'm making bread in the bread maker, in which case I scoop it into the measuring cup with a flour scoop and level it so there isn't too much flour, but since I wanted these to come out good I decided to measure flour correctly instead...guess it backfired.

I always thought flour is not supposed to be packed in?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:30 pm 

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I think she's just saying its a problem because it seems like both your batches didn't have enough flour

And I read in VCIYCJ that Isa and Terry use the scooping method for all their recipes, which will give you more flour than the way you measured. So more flour seems to be the answer!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:39 pm 
And you never will.

Yeah, scoop it - but don't pack it. Just scoop and level. Also, my personal preference is to reduce the oil in the VCIYCJ recipe (the same one on the PPK blog) to 1/2 cup. And, as I think IJDI said, letting the dough rest in the fridge for a few hours to overnight will allow the flour to "hydrate" (ie absorb some of the liquid).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:39 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

And this is why measuring volume sucks:
http://forums.egullet.org/topic/85172-t ... manifesto/

One cup unsifted flour is 140 g.