| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: home made bagels
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:54 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

So I've made a few bagels in my time. Make dough, boil and bake.

Recently I picked up an old bread book I have and came across their bagel recipe.
After rising you put the bagels in the oven under the broiler (I think it said 5 inches from the boiler), THEN you boil them and finally bake. This is new to me. Has anyone ever done that?

The bagels that I've made in the past were OK but, you know, not as great as "real" bagels can be.
I wonder if this would make a difference.

Post subject: Re: home made bagels
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:18 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

This is the bagel recipe I use. It's my friend's recipe (shared freely)...so the "I" in the recipe is my friend, not me:

Quote:
Bagels:
This is adapted from a recipe by Mark Bittman. It is completely vegan, relatively cheap, and actually quite easy. I have used this recipe at least 40 times, and I have never once ended up with something I wasn't excited to eat.

You need:
3 1/2 cups of flour (I do between 2-2 1/2 white flour and 1 cup whole wheat, and while I wouldn't use completely whole wheat because, I assume, these are bagels you plan on successfully digesting, you can up or lower that amount if you want to)
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp yeast (about half a package, but I suggest you buy yeast in bulk)
1 cup of water or so
2 tablespoons of molasses
Any toppings you'd like to add (poppy seeds, dried onions, sesame seeds, etc)

1. Mix the yeast with about 1/4 cup of lukewarm water (not exceeding 115 degrees- that will kill the yeast) and let it sit for about 5 minutes. This gives the yeast a chance to wake up and get acclimated before you command it to do work for you.

2. Mix in molasses, salt, and one cup of water. Mix very well.

3. Add flour 1/2 cup at a time. Wait until it is completely absorbed before adding more. You should be able to get at least 3.5 cups into this mix- if it gets a little dry, add a small amount of more water, but you shouldn't need more than 1.25 cups total. You should end up with a smooth, round, slightly sticky ball of dough.

4. Knead for about ten minutes, adding in more flour if possible.

5. Let rise in a bowl covered with saran wrap or a kitchen towel for about two hours. When you poke the dough ball and the indent stays, it is ready.

6. Punch down the dough ball and knead for about a minute. Then form bagels by taking out small balls of dough, rolling them around, pushing a hole through the center, and flattening out. You should make 6-8 bagels from this batch. They will look small- don't worry, they will grow.

7. Let the bagels rise, covered, on the counter for about 45 min- 1 hour. In the meantime, preheat the overn to 375 and begin to boil a large pot of water.

8. Drop each bagel, one at a time, into the pot of water. They will sink and then float up to the top. Flip over after one minute. The longer you keep them in the boiling water, the thicker the bagel skin will be. This process is what makes them bagels, not buns. I really suggest only doing one bagel at a time because otherwise you forget which one you flipped when.

9. Place bagels on a baking sheet either greased or covered in cornmeal to prevent sticking. Using a spray bottle, spray the tops of the bagels and then sprinkle on whatever topping you want. If you are doing something like onion flakes, you may want to work them into the dough itself, which you should do after it's initial rising. Do not do this with garlic. Garlic kills yeast and should only be applied to the tops of the bagels right before being baked. Other variations include cracking an egg into the mix at the beginning, which makes it much lighter and more challah-like, or adding in cinnamon and sugar instead of or in addition to the molasses in the beginning.

10. Bake them for 20-25 minutes, until they are dark brown on top and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom. Impress all of your friends, and forever become "the one that bakes bagels" in their minds.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:45 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i usually make them without broilering, but i think if you broiler them, super quickly, you'd have less chance of deflating them while getting them into the pot. i think you should try it and report back.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:19 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I love bagels. Like REALLY love bagels. Where I live, there is only one place that makes okay bagels that taste like NYC bagels (i.e. chewey and yummy)

Kind of off the specific topic, but do hommade bagels give the NYC bagel results?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:40 am 
Seagull of the PPK

well, where i live there are no bagels, so it's as close as i'm going to get.
i would say the homemade ones are much better than supermarket or frozen bagels, which to me are spongy and soft. the homemade ones have the chewy crust and - well, heft? density? that the NY bagels have. They're not exactly the same, but they have my favorite components.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:58 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I made the recipe above, the one based on Mark Bittman, and it bombed. Compared to other recipes I have I think the raising time is much too long for bagels, resulting in a light and airy dough which promptly deflated when picked up. I boiled-only 3 and broiled+boiled 3. That worked better, it gave them a bit of a crust and they deflated less. The boiled-only ones were inedible, they took on water and got soggy and even baking couldn't improve them. The last two I didn't bother picking up, I just baked them without boiling. Those baked nicely but basically turned into regular buns, not bagels, as they didn't form the nice skin that boiling gives them.

Next time I will stick to the bread book recipe and definitely put them under the broiler first. We ate a bit of the broiled ones but pretty well dumped most of them.

To be fair I used cake yeast instead of dry east. I think that made a difference too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:59 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I like to broil then boil, but my absolute FAVORITE thing to do with bagels is boil them in tea! Earl grey and chai have been particularly successful for me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:56 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I wonder if broil is the magic thing that makes them so chewy/crispy/differently textured on the outside underneath the shiny, not just... flat.