| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kitchen Hacks
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:26 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

For example, you can use your pour-over coffee gizmo and a mason jar to recover the tasty broth left over after you rehydrate dried mushrooms.

Your turn.

Post subject: Re: Kitchen Hacks
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:31 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

You can also use a cheap saucepan, collapsible metal steamer, and wood shavings to make an improvised smoker. If you don't have a collapsible metal steamer, you can fashion a "smoking platform" out of aluminum foil.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:45 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

You can regrow your green onions in a little bit of water in a cup on a window seal. Just leave about an inch and a half of the whites in the water and they sprout back over night. You can do it over and over.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:48 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

my favorite kitchen hack: save those net bags that hold limes, avocadoes, potatoes, shallots, etc in the grocery store. re-use them as your veggie bags in the supermarket (they weigh almost nothing). throw them in your wash when they get grotty, and if they tear you can sew them up into a crinkly ball to be a kitchen sponge. I haven't used plastic bags for veggies in the supermarket in a long time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:01 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

If you're measuring butter from a non-new earth balance stick or from the tub, add 1/2 c water to a 2 cup measuring cup and add pieces until the water line reaches 1 cup. You now have 1/2 cup butter!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:20 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

If you find cleaning the grounds out of your french press annoying, take a coffee filter (the basket type that fits into auto drip coffee makers) or a paper towel or thin kitchen towel or whatever and put it in a mesh kitchen strainer, slosh some water around inside the french press, then drain out over the filter/paper towel. Then you can scoop up all the grounds in a neat little bundle and toss them instead of forever scrubbing them out of the sink.

The green onion thing Fee said too. They get enormous in just a couple days!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:21 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I love all these tips, but torque's is going to change my life. I didn't know veggie bags would survive going through the wash or made good scrubbies. Do you mean dishwasher or washing machine?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:24 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

http://www.anotherlunch.com/2013/02/qui ... lives.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:19 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

hoveringdog™ wrote:
You can also use a cheap saucepan, collapsible metal steamer, and wood shavings to make an improvised smoker. If you don't have a collapsible metal steamer, you can fashion a "smoking platform" out of aluminum foil.

I really want to smoke stuff. Food...not drugs. But I'm a bit nervous about the whole thing. I need a tutorial or something!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:36 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Got pans that are hard to clean? Put some salt on the sponge and scrub; its abrasive and lifts dirt off better than any scourer I've used.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:35 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Clean your stovetop with bicarb of soda mixed with vinegar. Being mildly acidic, it gets into any little scratches, and makes metal nice and shiny.

Also, if you have any leftover herbs, chillies, spring onions, garlic, etc that you don't think you'll be using before they go bad, blitz them in the food processor and freeze them in an icecube tray, then store in the freezer in a ziplock bag to saute or drop in soups, etc. I also make crumbs from the last slices of bread that have gone a little stale, and store those in a ziplock in the freezer.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:41 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Limone wrote:
If you find cleaning the grounds out of your french press annoying, take a coffee filter (the basket type that fits into auto drip coffee makers) or a paper towel or thin kitchen towel or whatever and put it in a mesh kitchen strainer, slosh some water around inside the french press, then drain out over the filter/paper towel. Then you can scoop up all the grounds in a neat little bundle and toss them instead of forever scrubbing them out of the sink.

The green onion thing Fee said too. They get enormous in just a couple days!

Instead of using filters I use a very fine meshed tea sieve - same procedure. I have it just for this purpose.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:51 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Bridgettebakes wrote:
http://www.anotherlunch.com/2013/02/quick-tip-easy-way-to-slice-olives.html

I was hoping it's a quick way to slice olives with pits (removing pits, not slicing them). Can't find pitted black olives (and don't have a pitter).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:53 am 
Seagull of the PPK

couroupita wrote:
I love all these tips, but torque's is going to change my life. I didn't know veggie bags would survive going through the wash or made good scrubbies. Do you mean dishwasher or washing machine?

laundry machine! (i think they'd melt in the dishwasher)
the ones that work the best are like this Image

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:11 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Bridgettebakes wrote:
If you're measuring butter from a non-new earth balance stick or from the tub, add 1/2 c water to a 2 cup measuring cup and add pieces until the water line reaches 1 cup. You now have 1/2 cup butter!

This is brilliant! We don't have handy sticks of shortening or butter here. You've just made my life so much easier!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:02 am 
Level 7 Vegan

lepelaar wrote:
Bridgettebakes wrote:

This is brilliant! We don't have handy sticks of shortening or butter here. You've just made my life so much easier!

i dunno what supplies are in the average Dutch kitchen, but if you have a food scale, it's even easier: 2 cups butter or shortening = 1 pound. so 1/2 cup would be 4 ounces, or approximately 115 grams.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:44 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

rhelune wrote:
I was hoping it's a quick way to slice olives with pits (removing pits, not slicing them). Can't find pitted black olives (and don't have a pitter).

Has anyone tried this with olives? Works amazingly well with cherries.

http://lifehacker.com/5923690/pit-cherr ... and-bottle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:48 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Maybe they're too small for the bottle, but the chopstick part might work.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:06 am 
Tofu Pup

If the olive or cherry isn't pitted, it takes way too much time to do it manually. Even with those tips, I wouldn't waste the time.

I've taken the "heel" of my chef's knife to smash/crush and then remove the pit afterwards. It's similar to how you would smash a clove of garlic for mincing.

The better you are at handling the knife the faster you can do this.

I noticed you're from Croatia, talk to your local food vendor/grocery store manager and ask them where you can FIND the pitted black olive. They handle food all day, so they would know immediately where you can get them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:09 am 
Saggy Butt

hoveringdog™ wrote:
rhelune wrote:

Has anyone tried this with olives? Works amazingly well with cherries.

http://lifehacker.com/5923690/pit-cherr ... and-bottle

That looks interesting. The way I remove pits from olives is to use my knife and press down using the entire blade and kinda smash the olive a bit. You can then pull the olive away from the pit. Its very quick and easy. If you wanted to make nice looking slices this probably would not work. The olive basically peels away from the pit leaving two halves. I then just chop the olives for salads, pizza, etc.

A tip someone told me that was a huge lifesaver....for fresh ginger, use a spoon to peel the "rind" off. I had always used a pairing knife which took forever and I lost a ton of ginger that way. When I buy fresh ginger, I peel it with the spoon, wrap it tightly and put it in the freezer. When needed, take it directly out of the freezer and grate into the food. It grates so much nicer when frozen. This save me money too as I always let ginger waste away in the fridge.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:36 am 
Not NOT A Furry

YKT wrote:
If the olive or cherry isn't pitted, it takes way too much time to do it manually. Even with those tips, I wouldn't waste the time.

I've taken the "heel" of my chef's knife to smash/crush and then remove the pit afterwards. It's similar to how you would smash a clove of garlic for mincing.

The better you are at handling the knife the faster you can do this.

I noticed you're from Croatia, talk to your local food vendor/grocery store manager and ask them where you can FIND the pitted black olive. They handle food all day, so they would know immediately where you can get them.

Thanks! I should try that, but I'm worried for my knife.

I managed to find pitted black olives in brine here once, but they were too soft, falling apart, perhaps that's why they were taken off the shelves. I asked on a local forum and everybody said they aren't sold because they're no good.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:06 pm 

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
lepelaar wrote:
Bridgettebakes wrote:

i dunno what supplies are in the average Dutch kitchen, but if you have a food scale, it's even easier: 2 cups butter or shortening = 1 pound. so 1/2 cup would be 4 ounces, or approximately 115 grams.

I should get a food scale. That said, I use mainly US cookbooks and I'm often too lazy to do imperial > metric conversions when I'm cooking, so I'm excited to try the cup of water method.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:19 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Fee wrote:
You can regrow your green onions in a little bit of water in a cup on a window seal. Just leave about an inch and a half of the whites in the water and they sprout back over night. You can do it over and over.

This just blew my mind.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:37 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

You can use cartons of latte flavored soy milk in your coffee.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:57 pm 

IsaChandra wrote:
You can use cartons of latte flavored soy milk in your coffee.

But the cartons won't fit in my mug.