| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yogurt, y'all!
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:17 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

Tell me about yogurt! I'm a little obsessed with the Amande brand right now, but am determined to figure out how to make it myself.

Have any of you made your own? Could you give me a brief tutorial?

If you're just here because you like yogurt, tell me about your favorite kinds and your favorite ways of eating it!

Post subject: Re: Yogurt, y'all!
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:37 pm 
Saggy Butt

I'm all about Wildwood. It really settles my stomach - I usually scoop out about 1/3 - 1/2 cup and add some frozen berries to mix in.

Want to start making my own soon too - thinking about buying a yogurt maker (aka warmer), but it's hard for me to justify another gadget...

Of Capsicums & Things."

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:01 pm 
Chip Strong

No yogurt maker necessary. A heating pad and cooler works great, or there are lots of other incubation methods out there if you google yogurt making. For instructions, there are good ones from Bryanna Grogan Clark and Fatfree Vegan blog.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:38 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I love Whole Soy unsweetened. It's really the only vegan yogurt that fills the void for me. A cup of that blended with a frozen banana makes the best frozen yogurt! Then I like to add frozen blueberries, and the yogurt gets even more frozen and ice creamy.

Sadly, I don't buy it unless it comes to Grocery Outlet because it's way expensive at Whole Foods. I don't know if it's available anywhere else around here.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:59 pm 
Nailed to the V

Yogurt is my favorite fruit. I make that joke whenever I eat it. My favorite brand is WholeSoy (lemon flavor!), but I really have no experience in making yogurt myself.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:19 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yep, I have a maker. It's really easy. Mine is a Yogourmet, and I have a vegan starter that Brianna Clark Grogan recommended on her website. She's got a really nice tutorial, and Taymer Mason has one on her blog also. I let mine go in the yogurt maker for over 24 hours and it will get pretty tangy.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:41 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I make yogurt by putting it in a cooler with mason jars of warm water. No yogurt maker necessary.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:06 am 
So Totally Yiffy

What milk do you use?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:49 am 

For those who make their own, where do you find the cultures for it? Is it something I could buy at a co-op or grocery store?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:04 am 
Chip Strong

thisheregiraffe wrote:
For those who make their own, where do you find the cultures for it? Is it something I could buy at a co-op or grocery store?

Most of the starters I've seen contain dairy. I just use some plain soy yogurt, but any kind of vegan probiotic would work.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:11 am 
Level 7 Vegan

thisheregiraffe wrote:

I usually use a couple tablespoons of store-bought soy yogurt, but I've also used a probiotics capsule that I opened, and once a tsp of powdered probiotic supplement.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:27 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Garrick wrote:
Yogurt is my favorite fruit.

Same here. It's my breakfast of choice because i'm rarely hungry in the morning but know I should eat something, and the cultures are supposed to help if you have crazy hormonal acne that is trying to take over your face. I went to see my sister-in-law and her health food store had a bunch of Whole Soy in fancy flavors I can't get (cherry and mango-something) on sale because they were a few days away from the expiration date, so I brought those home along with the Almond Dream yogurt, and when I crammed them in with the rest of my Whole Soy, Silk, and Amande, Brian asked me why I was so ridiculous. I slammed the fridge and yelled 'DON'T YOU JUDGE ME'.

I was really into Amande at first, now I mostly stick to the coconut.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:42 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I like the WholeSoy best, Lemon, Plain, or blueberry. They are semi-expensive like .99 each on sale, but I dont eat them often because of the sugar/carb content.

Its kind of crazy how high in sugar (and carbs) they are. and I am really trying to cut down on the carbs right now.

Is homemade yogurt lower in sugar? I am guessing it is because you can control what you put in it...right?

Luckily i dont like very sweet yogurt anyway.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:48 am 
Chip Strong

You can make homemade yogurt with no sugar -- you do need to add a bit of sugar (if using unsweetened soymilk) to give the bacteria something to eat, but that should all be consumed after you incubate it.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:51 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Ok thats cool. I mean, i would put SOME sugar or fruit in it for flavor & bacteria, but the amount of sugar that commercial yogurt has is redonkulous.

haha another kitchen gadget I want now....slow cooker, bread maker, dehydrator, espresso machine, YOGURT MAKER.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:34 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Sorry to [somewhat] hijack this thread, but I'm specifically wondering about frozen yogurt. I'm not a fan of non-frozen yogurt (I never really liked it in my pregan days, either. . .), but I would love a vegan froyo. Does anyone know if this exists (as in, a vegan equivalent to the prepackaged frozen yogurt made by Ben and Jerry's, Stonyfield, etc.)? I read in one of the vegan Livejournal communities that you can just buy regular vegan yogurt and stick it in the freezer, but I haven't tried this because I'm skeptical that it would have anything close to the taste/texture of dairy froyo. Any ideas, wise PPK?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:04 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

lilyyw wrote:
Does anyone know if this exists (as in, a vegan equivalent to the prepackaged frozen yogurt made by Ben and Jerry's, Stonyfield, etc.)?

WholeSoy used to have prepackaged frozen yogurts, but it looks like they don't make them anymore.
kind of funny, i was just thinking about how i would go about making frozen yogurt on my way home from the health food store. i'm sure you could use a dairy recipe that looked good and just use vegan substitutes.

here in the UK we get Sojade, a soy yogurt made in France. it's so much better than the vast majority of the vegan yogurts available in the US, and it's pretty reasonably priced, too.

So today at PPK I learned how to fork up a falafel and a taco. - craiger_ny

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:46 pm 
Saggy Butt

When you all say "coolers"...most places online refer to those awful styrofoam beer coolers (http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_1010 ... 43729993-2)

But can a regular drink cooler be used? Or an insulated bag like I own like this: http://www.amazon.com/Density-Insulatio ... 189&sr=8-4

Cuz if so, I'm making yogurt tonight.

Of Capsicums & Things."

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:48 pm 
Chip Strong

I use a regular plastic cooler.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:19 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i make my own soy yogurt like this:

-heat up soy milk to boiling point. if using unsweetened, add a tbs of sugar.
-let cool down to body temp. the milk should not be any warmer than your finger, that will kill the bacteria.
-stir in 1/2 to 1 cup of store bought soy yogurt and stir it.
-let stand in container with lid or bowl with some plastic foil for 12-24 hours at room temp (i keep mine on top of a closet).
-whisk it and taste. if you want it more sour, let stand for 12 more hours.
-transfer to fridge when it's the desired taste.
-start another batch the next day, by using 1/2-1 cup of the yogurt you just made (at least, if you're a yogurt lover like me!)

it is really simple and works really well.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:51 am 
WRETCHED

Chicki wrote:
Ok thats cool. I mean, i would put SOME sugar or fruit in it for flavor & bacteria, but the amount of sugar that commercial yogurt has is redonkulous.

haha another kitchen gadget I want now....slow cooker, bread maker, dehydrator, espresso machine, YOGURT MAKER.

I buy plain unsweetened yogurt myself. It just add frozen berries, let them defrost and eat. I usually add a dash of cinnamon as well.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:02 pm 

smoothie wrote:

-let cool down to body temp. the milk should not be any warmer than your finger, that will kill the bacteria.
-let stand in container with lid or bowl with some plastic foil for 12-24 hours at room temp (i keep mine on top of a closet).
-start another batch the next day, by using 1/2-1 cup of the yogurt you just made (at least, if you're a yogurt lover like me!)

Awesome, smoothie! Do you think this would work with almond milk? Also, how much milk do you use in this recipe, and is the kind you use just regular, store bought soy milk?

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:31 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I made my first batch of yogurt today; so excited! I'm looking forward to having some in the morning with some strawberries and granola- yay!!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:33 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Hmmm, it was good, but more watery than I would have liked. I followed Bryanna Clark's recipe to the letter... Anyone have any experience with this/any suggestions?

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:07 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

thisheregiraffe wrote:
smoothie wrote:

Awesome, smoothie! Do you think this would work with almond milk? Also, how much milk do you use in this recipe, and is the kind you use just regular, store bought soy milk?

I want to know if anyone has made homemade almond yogurt too, I love the new Almond Dream yogurt but I can only get it when I visit Brian's sister, and then it's two damn dollars!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear