| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan Potato Kugel (or preferably zucchini potato kugel)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:05 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Hi, I'm new here. I was searching till the end of the internet for a vegan potato kugel recipe, specifically one with zucchini in it. I went vegan from vegetarian over a year ago, and I've been thinking about kugel which I haven't had in well over a year. I have a vegan (and gluten free) potato latka recipe (that my mom who complains about it not being real scarfs down), but I don't think taking that and throwing it in a big old casserole dish would come out the same. So does anyone have a recipe or any ideas for one?

Post subject: Re: Vegan Potato Kugel (or preferably zucchini potato kugel)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:07 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

for other kugels, I've replaced the eggs with blended silken tofu and it's come out really well. Sounds like it would work for that, too if you have a non-vegan recipe in mind.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:25 pm 

I unfortunately do not have a non vegan recipe in mind. I always got it from the kosher deli. But I will keep that in mind if I find a non vegan recipe that sounds good. How much tofu do you use for say, one egg?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:45 pm 
Huffs Nooch

http://catflightoffancy.blogspot.com/20 ... kugel.html

This is my friend's recipe, which was probably the most amazing kugel I've ever had. It's a little different than the traditional New York deli style kugel, but I honestly think it's better. You could probably sub 1 zucchini for 1 of the potatoes and it would work just fine.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:32 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

You can sub 1/4 cup pureed silken tofu (doesn't matter soft or firm) for each egg. I've tried it in a bunch of kugels/casseroles and it works great. If there are other seasonings (like herbs or spices), it helps to increase them just a bit to make up for the flavor of the eggs.

This is my family's potato kugel recipe, which is really different from adventuresofflandooe's. http://scratch-sniff.blogspot.com/2008/ ... kugel.html

Though if I were you, I'd just google a bunch of zucchini kugel recipes. You'll likely find that they're all pretty similar, and you can use that as a recipe to veganize.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:55 am 

Thanks! I've been looking at this one http://www.easyjewishrecipes.com/zucchini-kugel.html I guess if I switch the eggs for silken tofu, and eliminate the carrots for an additional zucchini or potato, it may work. I never had zucchini kugel with carrots before, don't think it would be bad, just not what I'm going for. Or just kind of make something up. This weekend I'm making stuffed cabbage, so probably kugel for next weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:28 am 

Alaina wrote:
Thanks! I've been looking at this one http://www.easyjewishrecipes.com/zucchini-kugel.html I guess if I switch the eggs for silken tofu, and eliminate the carrots for an additional zucchini or potato, it may work. I never had zucchini kugel with carrots before, don't think it would be bad, just not what I'm going for. Or just kind of make something up. This weekend I'm making stuffed cabbage, so probably kugel for next weekend.

I'd use a potato to replace the carrots. Zucchini is really watery, so it might change the texture a lot to add more.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:47 am 

I was thinking that too. I was also going to sprinkle the zucchini with a little salt and let it drain in a colander while I grate the potatoes and onion The kugel from the deli I'm thinking of has thin slices of zucchini in it. I may also cut the tofu down a bit and throw in some ground flax seeds. They make my potato pancakes really good.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:16 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I think ground flax seeds might be weird in a kugel. Tofu definitely sounds like the way to go for a potato kugel. My family's potato kugel involves sliced potatoes instead of grated and has an overpowering amount of black pepper in it. It tastes like Eastern European suffering :)

In something like a noodle kugel, I've found you don't have to replace the eggs at all (even though there's like 5 eggs in my mother's kugel recipe) - the starch in the noodles cements it all together. You just need to add a little more of your liquid (in our case, applesauce, but could be cheez) to even out the texture.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:42 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

At my first vegan passover I made an apple matzoh kugel with flax egg as the binder and it actually worked really well. I think because there was cinnamon and raisins in it, too, the bits of flax didn't look weird and it sort of gelled together really nicely in an eggy way. I'm not exactly sure if it'd work in a potato kugel, but i think a mixture of tofu and flax would probably be ok.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:25 pm 

I wasn't going to put a lot, maybe one flax egg's worth. I may grind it a bit finer in the vitamix too. My experiences with baking with tofu have been awesome and terrible, but no in between. I once made a horrible artichoke dip with it, but cheesecakes have come out great. I'm also gonna 1/2 whatever I do to make a small kugel, then if it's good make a large one. The ground flax was awesome in potato latkas.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:18 pm 

I'm very tofu-phobic in preparations that aren't Asian, but it works really well for binding in casseroles.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:33 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm totally interested to hear how this turns out for you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:23 pm 

Well I made it and it was little gummy, I guess is the word. I reheated it by frying it as latka which came out sorta like a fritter. I have some better ideas for the next go around. I think I needed some more water, and I should have used baking soda or baking powder too. I want a good kugel and I'm not stopping till I make one!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:16 pm 

Gummy potatoes can happen if they're overworked. It's the reason why people like my mother insist on grating potatoes by hand. So that's a possibility, too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:09 pm 

I always grate potatoes by hand. It's not Jewish style if you don't.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:28 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Alaina wrote:
I always grate potatoes by hand. It's not Jewish style if you don't.

amen, a little blood from the knuckles can't hurt either ;)

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:30 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

mollyjade wrote:
You can sub 1/4 cup pureed silken tofu (doesn't matter soft or firm) for each egg. I've tried it in a bunch of kugels/casseroles and it works great. If there are other seasonings (like herbs or spices), it helps to increase them just a bit to make up for the flavor of the eggs.

This is my family's potato kugel recipe, which is really different from adventuresofflandooe's. http://scratch-sniff.blogspot.com/2008/ ... kugel.html

Though if I were you, I'd just google a bunch of zucchini kugel recipes. You'll likely find that they're all pretty similar, and you can use that as a recipe to veganize.

bookmarking this! love that this is baked in a muffin tin, so easy to freeze leftovers!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki