Soy Milk 48%  48%  [ 32 ]
Rice Milk 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Hemp Milk 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 9%  9%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 67
 Post subject: Re: Favorite Non Dairy Milk for baking
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:32 pm 
WRETCHED

Generally, we only buy almond (unsweetened) or soy (unsweetened or make my own, again unsweetened) so whatever I have on hand. I'm not picky.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:25 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I use almond and soy, usually Blue Diamond for the almond milk and Eden soy for the soy milk, although I will buy other brands if they are organic (requirement for soy milk, not so much almond) and cheaper. I don't drink any non dairy milk on account of finding it just as vile tasting as animals milk. So I only buy it for baking and cooking, I only care about how my deserts come out. I think they come out better with the almond milk, but since I don't drink it, I don't want to open a big old carton and have it spoil if I don't make something else with it in time. I haven't been able to find plan 1 cup packs of almond milk, only soy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:17 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

ijustdiedinside wrote:
_rootVeg wrote:
soy for baking/cooking and almond for cereal, coffee and drinking with brownies :)

but i only roll my own these days 'cause i'm a bit crazy about unnecessary additives - especially excess calcium.

Just curious as someone who is always struggling to get enough calcium, why do you feel like it's too much in fortified milks?

I believe that calcification of the body is at the root of many common diseases - like heart disease, cancer, arthritis, kidney stones, osteoporosis, metabolic syndrome, etc.

As I started checking the ingredients of products around my house I found some form of calcium is being added to almost everything from vitamin capsules, canned tomatoes, almond milk, tofu, pickles, olives, flour, granola bars, cereal and even my toothpaste! It also seems that most products are using the cheaper sources like calcium carbonate, lactate, citrate, or gluconate - which aren't nutritionally useful.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:20 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Had you baked that cupcake recipe before? It could have been the recipe in general, not the milk that you used.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:04 am 
Nailed to the V

Because my best friend is allergic to soy. (sigh), I use Silk's Original Almond milk in EVERYTHING. and for me it works well. I've never really had buttermilk in pregan days so i don't know what it's supposed to look/taste like, so I always assume if I leave almond milk with the acid long enough it did its thing and it never really failed. (and i do mean everything. even if it says "unsweetened" in the recipe, I'll use it, maybe? it's a touch sweet, but I don't really notice it/mind it. I would buy boxed unsweetened for me, but I'm always afraid the day I/ll do that, i'd be making things for my friend and use the wrong milk. so better safe than sorry. I should actually have stock in Silk, providing how many cartons of SOA i buy a WEEK).

Soy milk for me tastes too.. heavy. I don't know the right word. Pregan days I was all about the fat free skim miilk so almond milk works, because it reminds me of it. Soy milk reminds me of 2% bleh.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:45 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Soy, because it's the easiest/cheapest to get a hold of here and what I usually have at hand. And now that almond milk is starting to become more available here, I'm starting to come to the conclusion that I prefer soy anyway.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona