| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The "new" Silk
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:44 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Has anyone tried the "new" Silk? Blergh. I have been getting Silk unsweetened refrigerated soymilk for over a year, and now they have added something for a "great new taste" and I am not a fan. It isn't altogether objectionable, but it tastes kind of like malted milk or something. I feel like they are trying to cover up the soy flavor.

This is the milk I usually use in cooking and baking, so I am kind of worried that it will affect the flavor of my finished dishes and baked goods. I have recently switched to mainly almond milk for drinking and have gotten some shelf stable soymilk that is just soybeans and water for baking, so maybe I will stick to that in recipes.

Post subject: Re: The "new" Silk
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:50 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I noticed it said "new" on my carton I bought on Saturday...but I didn't really notice a difference? tasted the same in coffee, and I even took a big swig out of the carton just to check it out.

Hm. Gonna try it again tonight.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:01 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

it tastes like it has a tiny bit of vanilla in it. i buy the organic unsweetened and actually i like it better now. it used to taste a lot more beany to me. i'm ok with them covering up the soy flavor, but it is definitely weird. i don't think it will affect sweet stuff, but maybe savory will taste weird. i hope not! silk is making some weird changes like discontinuing their large tubs of yogurt and plain and vanilla flavors! booo!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:54 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Maybe if stores actually sold large tubs, and plain or vanilla, people would buy them and Silk wouldn't discontinue them.

Wegmans now only sells Almonde yogurt for 2.39 or three flavors of so delicious coconut yogurt for 1.99. They don't have anything plain, affordable, or useful. I expect them to phase out all of that stuff sooner or later since who can afford the expensive stuff all the time? Plus, the coconut yogurt isn't as nutritious.

Giant doesn't sell vegan yogurt at all, which is weird since they sell plenty of other things.

Huge pet peeve. I want plain or vanilla for cooking and baking, damn it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:08 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

i went to so many health food stores and regular grocery stores this weekend looking for plain or even just vanilla yogurt for some recipes. it was nowhere to be found. the health food store had a couple flavored amande yogurts. i did find two containers of plain almond yogurt on the other side of town. i can understand why places dont want to carry highly parishable foods with low demand, but it sure is frustrating.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:30 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Ugh, we had the same problem last night. Went to the regular grocery store, no big tubs of plain soygurt. Then went to two different whole foods, same deal! Finally, the third one had Amande plain. When even Whole Foods isn't carrying the stuff, there's a problem!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Beanitarian wrote:
Has anyone tried the "new" Silk? Blergh. I have been getting Silk unsweetened refrigerated soymilk for over a year, and now they have added something for a "great new taste" and I am not a fan. It isn't altogether objectionable, but it tastes kind of like malted milk or something. I feel like they are trying to cover up the soy flavor.

This is the milk I usually use in cooking and baking, so I am kind of worried that it will affect the flavor of my finished dishes and baked goods. I have recently switched to mainly almond milk for drinking and have gotten some shelf stable soymilk that is just soybeans and water for baking, so maybe I will stick to that in recipes.

wait, they added vanilla to the plain soymilk? Did I understand that right?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:59 pm 

starrynight87 wrote:
Beanitarian wrote:

Yes, this is some sort of flavor added to the unsweetened plain soymilk. It's not listed as vanilla, but there are some "natural flavors" that I think weren't there before. It does taste slightly sweet now. Maybe I'm weird, but I preferred the slightly beany flavor.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:12 am 
Saggy Butt

lavawitch wrote:

Wegmans now only sells Almonde yogurt for 2.39 or three flavors of so delicious coconut yogurt for 1.99. They don't have anything plain, affordable, or useful. I expect them to phase out all of that stuff sooner or later since who can afford the expensive stuff all the time? Plus, the coconut yogurt isn't as nutritious.

I'm not sure which VA Wegmans you're at, or how much room they have for yogurt (which is a deciding factor in how much they stock) but i can tell you that these are our options for yogurt: Large size Amande (vanilla), small size of raspberry, strawberry, cherry, coconut and blueberry. Almond Dream small sizes: vanilla, plain strawberry and mixed berry. Sodelicious coconut small sizes: raspberry, blueberry, vanilla, passionate mango, and strawberry banana. sodelicious greek style coconut: plain, vanilla and strawberry. If they don't have a lot of yogurt space in their Nature's Marketplace they might not carry all of them, BUT, seek out and talk to the manager and he/she may be able to order it and stock it . If they REALLY don't have room, they will still be able to order you yogurt buy the case, the large amande and the almond dreams come in cases of 6 and the rest come in cases of 12. You will likely have to buy it a case at a time, but they generally have pretty long sell-by dates. You can name drop me and tell the manager that you have a friend who'se a Nature's Market Manager in Buffalo (store 84 if they ask, in fact, tell them to call me and i'll yell at them)

Also, Wegmans is bringing in wholesoy yogurt because Silk is just screwing around with their yogurts. so as soon as all the contract stuff goes through they'll have it on the shelf.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:55 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I used the new in a soup recently and it smelled vanilla-y, but I noticed no discernable taste difference. organic unsweetened is the one I use for everything so I was going to be really unhappy if it was noticeable.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:20 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Beanitarian wrote:
starrynight87 wrote:
Beanitarian wrote:

Yes, this is some sort of flavor added to the unsweetened plain soymilk. It's not listed as vanilla, but there are some "natural flavors" that I think weren't there before. It does taste slightly sweet now. Maybe I'm weird, but I preferred the slightly beany flavor.

But people cook with that! Guess I'll use plain rice or almond milk from now on. Sheesh.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:54 pm 

Try it first? I haven't noticed it in cooking at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:36 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I tried it again, and yeah it tastes a little different. Malty I guess is the best way to describe it.

meh. I liked it better before. I think it might mess with savory foods I put it in.

Silk was my fav milk by far. Now what?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:07 pm 

Chicki wrote:
I tried it again, and yeah it tastes a little different. Malty I guess is the best way to describe it.

meh. I liked it better before. I think it might mess with savory foods I put it in.

Silk was my fav milk by far. Now what?

Yeah, I'm sort of paranoid that even if I don't notice a difference in savory foods right away, it might be just subtly "off" somehow, in a way that others might notice if I'm cooking for guests. I think I'm going to write to Silk, not that they care, and stick to the unsweetened West Soy for cooking and baking. It's more convenient to keep the shelf stable stuff on hand anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:57 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Yes the unsweetened version tastes like vanilla now. Fine for coffee, but not for cooking. It was perfect the way it was before. Grr.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:27 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Norelle wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

I'm not sure which VA Wegmans you're at, or how much room they have for yogurt (which is a deciding factor in how much they stock) but i can tell you that these are our options for yogurt: Large size Amande (vanilla), small size of raspberry, strawberry, cherry, coconut and blueberry. Almond Dream small sizes: vanilla, plain strawberry and mixed berry. Sodelicious coconut small sizes: raspberry, blueberry, vanilla, passionate mango, and strawberry banana. sodelicious greek style coconut: plain, vanilla and strawberry. If they don't have a lot of yogurt space in their Nature's Marketplace they might not carry all of them, BUT, seek out and talk to the manager and he/she may be able to order it and stock it . If they REALLY don't have room, they will still be able to order you yogurt buy the case, the large amande and the almond dreams come in cases of 6 and the rest come in cases of 12. You will likely have to buy it a case at a time, but they generally have pretty long sell-by dates. You can name drop me and tell the manager that you have a friend who'se a Nature's Market Manager in Buffalo (store 84 if they ask, in fact, tell them to call me and i'll yell at them)

Also, Wegmans is bringing in wholesoy yogurt because Silk is just screwing around with their yogurts. so as soon as all the contract stuff goes through they'll have it on the shelf.

Thanks! They don't stock yogurt in Natures Market at all; it's in the dairy case. I just want something that isn't $2.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:40 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

The new Silk yogurts are weird. At my health food store there's an almond based black cherry: delicious, tastes just like the Almond Dream yogurts but half the price. Then they have three soy ones in the same new package: blueberry, strawberry, and peach mango. They're much more watery and the peach mango is waaaaay too sweet.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:56 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I effing love amande yogurt. Not handy for cooking but mmmm. I avoid silk products like the plague, but I'm lucky to have options.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:22 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

mrsbadmouth wrote:
The new Silk yogurts are weird. At my health food store there's an almond based black cherry: delicious, tastes just like the Almond Dream yogurts but half the price. Then they have three soy ones in the same new package: blueberry, strawberry, and peach mango. They're much more watery and the peach mango is waaaaay too sweet.

Ust bought a bunch of those so I hope I like them. I'll be eating them regardless. Normally I'd not stock up on a new item, but I can't get to WF very often (it adds about 2 hrs to my drive home even though it's only 5 miles from work).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:31 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I think the soy ones are okay, but the almond ones are weird. I opened one and it was just a big gelatinous blob. Stirring it helped, but that's just not appetizing!

I have to mix all of them with silken tofu to make them bearable, anyway. They are so forking sweet.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:17 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I always used the unsweetened silk soymilk. It was really good before. The taste is different now. I liked the old taste better.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:23 pm 

So, I just tried making yogurt with the new Silk and it didn't work. Is there any reason why my yogurt would have failed because of the new soy milk formula? I'll try a different brand next time, I guess and see what happens.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:17 pm 

update on that issue. It just took way longer to culture than it normally does. I ended up having to leave it overnight and it was a little overdone (ie separated) so I strained it and omg, GREEK YOGURT! it's so nice and thick and creamy. it's perfect now!