| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Daiya Slices!
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:59 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I bought the provolone slices yesterday! Husband really disliked them (and he likes Daiya shreds) but I thought they were good! Kind of sharp tasting? I don't remember what provolone tastes like but I don't think this is similar at all. Anyway, they were awesome in a grilled cheese -- very melty and gooey!. I used three slices and my stomach got pretty upset, maybe from the richness, so I've settled on 2 slices per sandwich instead.

I'm sorta tempted to try the Swiss but I *hated* dairy Swiss so I'm afraid if there's even a hint of that flavor I'll have wasted my money.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:42 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Fee wrote:

Oh and I forking hate frozen pizzas that you have to cook just putting on your oven rack, I don't have anything to get that shiitake out of there and the middle fell through a little on this one. Nothing disastrous, but more of a mess than I wanted.

Use a baking sheet! They're perfect, as long as you have one that doesn't have a lip on all sides.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:42 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

These finally came to my town! Only the swiss though, it seems. Still, I used to love me some swiss, so I picked them up and have been making grilled cheeses with them. I like them a lot! They're pretty mild, but I do detect that back of the tongue slightly sweet tang that I remember swiss cheese having. But what I really want to use them for is a reuben pizza.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:05 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I tried the provolone slices. I thought they tasted slightly too sweet, so I won't buy them again. Strangely, the one thing I found them to be delicious on was banana pecan waffles.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:34 pm 
Saggy Butt

I got the swiss andI like them much better than I expected. A littletoo tangy but reasonably like swiss. Good on grilled cheese.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:37 pm 
WRETCHED

I bought swiss today, going to try it later. Also bought galaxy shreds for a pizza I'm making. I'm going to declare my like of galaxy over daiya officially for mozzarella shreds.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:09 am 
WRETCHED

I tried the swiss, not a fan but I expected to be disappointed. I used to eat swiss cold though, never melted. Once I realized it wasn't going to work as a good regular sandwich addition unmelted, I heated it to melt it in my sandwich. I don't think it tasted bad with everything else in my sandwich but I also don't think it really added anything. I'm not sure if I'll eat more of the pack or not.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:54 pm 
Inflexitarian

I tried the provolone today. I don't love it but I don't hate it. Cold it is a weird texture. I thought it was okay melted on crackers with salsa on top (my favorite middle school days after school snack).

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:23 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

Everything other than provolone was sold out at my WF, so I bought provolone. It was, as mentioned, fairly sweet, but when on a sammich with other toppings and some zesty mustard, it worked out well. I like it melted. It's not a favorite, but it is a nice option to have.

I still definitely want to try the other slices!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:02 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The only daiya product I've really disliked before is the pepperjack, and I HATE the new slices. They taste kinda musty to me. And, no, they weren't spoiled.

I tried the plain cream cheese this week and it's ok. I don't have to run out and get another one right away. Plain, it's sharper than remember cream cheese being, but with a little jelly on it, it's pretty good.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:22 pm 
She's No Isa Chandra!

I got provolone and I'm not looking forward to eating the other 9 slices in the package. I love the shreds and wedges, but this stuff is gloopy, drippy, overly sweet, and tastes kind of like strawberry cream cheese in a bad way.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:38 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I finally got my hands on the provolone slices thanks to my wonderful spouse. It's ok. It's not that good by itself. It's got a bit of an aftertaste, and yeah, it's too sweet. But it does add something on a sandwich with lots of other stuff. I won't have a problem working through the package, but the shreds and especially the wedges are much better. This is a step down for Daiya. I hope the other slices are better, or they plan on reformulating and coming out with a new and improved version of the slices.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:50 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I've got two packs of slices and they will expire soonish, but I'm afraid to try them. I make no sense.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:03 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

You are afraid to try them? Why? They aren't great, but they aren't the worst thing I've ever put in my mouth. I don't think they made it 30 seconds into my house before I tried them. Trying new things is the most fun, even when they turn out to be not that great. Try them first on something else and not just plain if you are really scared. Which flavor(s) do you have?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:06 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Because I'm silly. I've got swiss and provolone.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:08 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I liked the swiss in a grilled cheese with tomato slices and some dijon mustard.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:14 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Lavawich, I guess you could line up something to spit into and a glass of water to swish with and a piece of chocolate to shove in your mouth to make it all ok if it is super nasty. Are you afraid it is going to be that gross (it really isn't. it's way less gross than lots of other vegan cheese.) or are you afraid of the disappointment if it isn't amazing? It's not amazing. Daiya has under done themselves. But it isn't going to poison you. It probably wont even traumatize you. And you have the Swiss and I don't. I soooooo wish I could try the Swiss right now!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:17 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I actually can't tell you why I'm being silly!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:35 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Hmm. This is very interesting. Are you often cautious about trying new things? Or is this a special situation?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:44 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

No, I'm just silly sometimes. I actually usually like trying new things. There really isn't a rhyme or reason except maybe I've been feeling low for the past couple months and tend to retreat back to eating/doing the same things over and over. Actually, now that you've forced me into self analysis, that could be it! I think I've only eaten boca chikn sandwiches, edamame salad, and hummus quesadillas for the past month. And chocolate.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:20 pm 
Nailed to the V

lavawitch wrote:
I actually can't tell you why I'm being silly!

I'm not sure why you're being silly, but know that you're not alone. Although I have tried the cheddar and provolone slices, I'm still too afraid to try the swiss! I don't get it. I mean, I've already taken the plunge with the other two flavors, and it was all good. Sure, they weren't perfect, but if you throw them in sandwiches with other stuff they're not too bad. But with the swiss, I dunno. Maybe it totally is the fear of being let down. I guess I have high hopes for the swiss.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:29 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm trying to remember what I did with actual swiss and am drawing a blank. As a kid, I loathed swiss cheese with every fiber of my being, then suddenly that switched off one day and it became my favorite cheese. I missed it madly for the first while of being vegan, but now can't even remember what I did with the stuff.

Funny how that happens.

I guess we need a plan! How thick are the slices? I've always preferred super thin slices.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:47 pm 
Nailed to the V

I like the thin slices too. I don't know what the Daiya ones are like, but the provolone slices are decently thick, I think.

I think swiss always went well with quiche, so there's that. Also, isn't mushroom and swiss supposed to be a good combination? Like on a veggie burger, maybe? It sounds like it'd be good.

The main thing I remember doing with swiss was putting it on Monte Cristos. I love me a Monte Cristo. Maybe that'll be my gateway into the Daiya swiss. If I ever get over the irrational fear, that is.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:59 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Oh that sounds good! Grilled portobello sliders with swiss and bbq sauce or something.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:19 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I mixed the swiss with some Boca crumbles, portobellas, onions, rice and some spices, then baked the whole mess. It was pretty good and really satisfied my craving for comfort food. My boy and I also scooped some of the 'shroom mixture off the rice and plopped it on a bun for a sloppy sandwich, and it was even better!

Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next