| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: Daiya Slices!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:54 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Yeah, I think mushroom burger or what SassyOh said would be a good starting point. Soon!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:20 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

If all else fails, when I get a vegan cheese that I don't like I make it into cheese sauce. But even though I didn't love the slices I still had no problem making them all into grilled cheeses.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:30 pm 

Okay, I finally sucked it up and made myself open the Swiss Daiya slices. They're not bad! I used one of my ideas and put it on a mushroom burger, and it went well with that. It's not an exact replica of how I remember dairy Swiss to be, but it totally worked for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:37 pm 
Nooch of Earl

These finally came to San Diego. I bought the Swiss & Provolone, because I don't like the cheddar shreds.

I opened the swiss and tried a nibble cold, I actually thought it was fairly swiss-like. But I was actually mixing it into my tempeh helper because I don't care for noochy sauce but wanted to add a little hint of cheesiness. It worked fine for that.

These are screaming "panini" to me, so I need decent bread..

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:42 pm 
Saggy Butt

I finally made the trek to my WFs and picked up the swiss slices. I debated for a long time between swiss and provolone and went with the swiss as I used to eat that regularly a very long time ago. I did not like them at all. I got home and made lunch immediately. I took one out and ate some of it and found it rather awful. I cooked some Gardein and threw the slice over it. I was shocked at how quickly it melted. It was tolerable once melted but I doubt I would buy these again. I'll save the rest for pizza since it melted so quickly.

I've tried the blocks too - both havarti and cheddar. Neither did I like right out of the package. The cheddar works great on pizza, its also melts nicely. But I find Daiya to be a bit on the richer side. I tend to throw tons more red pepper flakes on my pizza to combat the richness of it.

I use the mozz shreds on pizza mostly, mixing in whatever else I have, blocks and now the slices. I've tried numerous kinds of vegan cheeses and find that FYH mozz blocks are the best. Its texture gets a bit off when you freeze the block, so I always grate it on pizza frozen. Once cooked up, its delicious. My next plan is for enchiladas to use up the havarti wedge.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:04 pm 
Saggy Butt

I also tried the Swiss slices and didn't care for them on sandwiches or whatnot. I did not want to waste them, so I put them on top of a lasagna recently. Since they tasted nothing like Swiss, it worked.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:38 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i found the slices the other day and was super psyched til i noticed the store only had provolone and swiss. i dont like provolone and swiss i feel is only good in certain applications. i really wanted cheddar

i bought the swiss. it's ok but i wont be spending $5 on it again. it definitely has that daiya taste that all daiya has. its a bit off putting. it must be the tapioca???
it definitely does have a swiss flavor though.

ive put them in a homemade seitan sammich with veganaise mustard tomato and onion.
theres so much other stuff in the sandwich that it tastes good.

i wouldnt eat it by itself but then again im not sure i ever felt the need to eat cow swiss by the slice.

it makes me wonder if their cream cheese has that weird daiya taste cause then i wont waste my $$ on it

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:50 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I got the cheddar slices. I think I like them better than the provolone slices but not as much as the cheddar wedge. They are fine in a sandwich and melt nicely. Why can't I find the Swiss slices, when those are the ones I was excited about?!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:20 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

The cheddar slices are awesome in a Panini or grilled cheese. It gets all melty and gooey. I had a wonderful Panini with a cheddar slice, onion, tomato and pesto.

I also freeze them so they last longer. They are easy to get apart when frozen because of the wax paper between each slice.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:30 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I got the provolone and Swiss slices. I liked the Swiss better and made an awesome toastie with it and coconut bacon.

I just remembered my favorite sandwich in high school was turkey and provolone with lettuce and a lot of mayo so I think I'll try recreating that. I found the provolone disappointing but okay on a vegan cubano.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:59 am 

The cheddar is the hands-down favorite in my house. I make my son a grilled cheddar sandwich every day and pack it in his school lunch. He's hooked. Which is saying a lot, since he's my rebellious one and doesn't like to identify as vegan.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

LisaPunk wrote:
it makes me wonder if their cream cheese has that weird daiya taste cause then i wont waste my $$ on it

i wondered the same thing. i got all excitedfaced to see they had a cream cheese out, then i thought "well, does it kinda have that taste the other cheeses do?" - and then i saw it was $7 and made up my mind to not try it until i heard more about how it tastes.

my spouse was telling me the other day he can't wait until there are more companies that catch on and start making more dairy-free alternatives. his theory is that with more competition in the market some of these crazy prices will drop. i mean, i know i can make my own, but sometimes i just want to be a lazy girl.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:43 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Wow $7 for cream cheese is insanity.
Especially when the tofutti one is like $3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:04 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Here in Canada (at my grocery store anyways) it cost $4.99 for the Daiya cream cheese. I buy a coupe when they go on sale for $3.99 IF I can get my hands on them. They always seem to be sold out. Which is a good thing because it means the product is in demand. They sell out at several stores that carry the cream cheese and slices ALL the time so that is kind of annoying. The cream cheese has really grown on me, at first try it tasted a little sweet but I love it now. I have tried the plain and the onion and chive (which is hands down my favourite). I love them on bagels, crackers, pretzels.....YUM! I only like the slices melted just like the shreds.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:13 am 
Inflexitarian

I really like the chive and onion cream cheese. That said, when my non-vegan spouse tried it, he said, "It has that Daiya taste," so if you don't like Daiya, you probably won't like their cream cheese.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:13 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

LisaPunk wrote:
Wow $7 for cream cheese is insanity.
Especially when the tofutti one is like $3

that's what i'm say'n!

brontrent wrote:
The cream cheese has really grown on me, at first try it tasted a little sweet but I love it now. I have tried the plain and the onion and chive (which is hands down my favourite).

that's good to know. if i can find it on sale i might give it a whirl. they only had the plain and i wanna say a strawberry flavored one (?), i'll keep an eye out for the chive flavor.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:40 am 

Yeah, the chive one disappeared quickly in my house. I tried using some of the plain cream cheese to make jalapeno poppers, though, and it was a greasy disaster. So I guess the cream cheese is not meant for the oven.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:47 pm 
ugh

I finally got to try the slices and the plain cream cheese. The slices are okay, kind of sweet, but I think I'll stick with the havarti wedge for my grilled cheese sandwiches.

The cream cheese, though, is hilariously not at all like cream cheese. They clearly just took their regular cheese, added some tanginess to it somehow, and stuffed it into a tub. I was surprised to find it was less spreadable than the havarti wedge when I tried to put it on a bagel - it just kinda crumbled on there. So on a hunch I threw it in the microwave for 30 seconds and it melted. Either no one at Daiya knows how real cream cheese is supposed to work or they just don't care.

I'd hate to see what would happen if someone tried to make a cheesecake with this stuff.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:20 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

My Daiya cream cheese is always amazingly spreadable! I'm kind of amazed it didn't work that way for you.

I didn't like the stuff at first but it has really grown on me. Hubby doesn't like it and I have no problems with that. More for me!

They've been circulating a no bake cheesecake recipe, it sounded odd.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:52 pm 
Saggy Butt

I was finally able to grab the cheddar slices. I love them. I was not a big fan of the cheddar shreds, I would eat them but not my favorite. So I was a bit hesitant of trying the slices. That is the first type of vegan cheese I could eat just as is. I had a grilled cheese today and it was awesome. It melts though I have to say it really melted, to the point it was running out the sandwich. But looking forward to another one really soon.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:33 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

brontrent wrote:
Here in Canada (at my grocery store anyways) it cost $4.99 for the Daiya cream cheese. I buy a coupe when they go on sale for $3.99 IF I can get my hands on them. They always seem to be sold out. Which is a good thing because it means the product is in demand. They sell out at several stores that carry the cream cheese and slices ALL the time so that is kind of annoying. The cream cheese has really grown on me, at first try it tasted a little sweet but I love it now. I have tried the plain and the onion and chive (which is hands down my favourite). I love them on bagels, crackers, pretzels.....YUM! I only like the slices melted just like the shreds.

Ooh, what grocery store did you find the cream cheese in? I've been looking for it everywhere! I live in Mississauga :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:59 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i finally broke down and bought a daiya pizza cause i found it on sale. all they had was the "Cheese Lovers"

for somethign called "Cheese Lovers" they might want to put more than two sprinkles of cheese on it.
i forgot daiya is more of an allergy company than a vegan company so i didnt remember til i was cooking it that it had a gluten free crust.

i really dont like this pizza and i want my $7 back. the crust has that gluten free taste i dont like, there is more sauce than cheese which normally is what i prefer but the sauce is weird tasting. it's like sweet and really thin.

over all i say yuck.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:21 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I have to say...I love the pizza! I know, I know, but I cant help it, especially the roasted veggie one with chili flakes and veggie parm on top! Plus the Daiya cream cheese has been a big hit. I dont like the toffuti one for anything other than cooking, but the strawberry daiya cream cheese is exactly how I remember it...even my omni teenager loves the stuff. I have found it at Sobeys here in Canada. Best slatherede on a toasted bagel!

I have also developed a rather unhealthy addiction to grilled cheese sandwiches with the cheddar slices, especially with some sliced tomato in there...yum! Dipped in some kind of sauce, like HP. Although Im preggo, so hubby says my new Daiya addiction has developed with my pregnancy..lol. Either way, Im a big fan. I cant eat the slices just on a sandwich though, they have to be melted a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:26 pm 
Nailed to the V

I had the Daiya plain cream cheese.. it tastes like icing sugar (sob).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:36 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

daisysunshine wrote:
I had the Daiya plain cream cheese.. it tastes like icing sugar (sob).
Yes, very disappointing; ditto on the veggie flavor. For my money Tofutti is still the best.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10