| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri May 27, 2016 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Problem with Apple Cider Cupcakes
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:07 am 
Tofu Pup

Hi everyone :) I'm a long time lurker, never actually posted. I'll make an intro later, but I'm short on time.

Anyway, I've been making the apple cider cupcakes but I'm not sure I'm doing it correctly... or maybe I am and I just don't like it.

So after cooking the cider with the spices and prepping the dry ingredients and apple butter, when I go to mix everything together it becomes extremely frothy. To the point where it looks more like a science experiment than cupcake batter.

The first time I made them I had forgotten to reduce the cider to 1 1/4 cup, so that was my fault, but the second time I made them I did, but I got the same result with the mixture. My thought is that there is too much acid which resulted in everything bubbling up, but I followed the directions to a T.

I'm using agar powder instead of flakes, I'm not sure if that makes a difference. The end product is a more spongey, pancakey style cupcake which I'm not interested in.

Has anyone else had this issue, or can anyone explain to me why it's happening... or if it's supposed to happen?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Problem with Apple Cider Cupcakes
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:14 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

You said: I'm using agar powder instead of flakes

These two are not interchangeable. If it calls for flakes use flakes. I know at times when one was used in place of the other, the ratios were different and the cooking was different. I suggest using the flakes. I have seen this mentioned in countless of Isa's recps where people tried to sub one for the other and it just never works.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:21 am 
Tofu Pup

@MissMandy,
I followed the directions in the book for using agar powder, it's in the notes.

Edit: Do you think that's what caused the problem?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:41 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

What kind of cider do you use? I think in the US 'cider' means a non-sparkling type of apple juice while in Europe this word is used for the sparkling apple wine.

Your description of everything becoming very frothy makes me wonder if you used the sparkling stuff. Because I think you shouldn't.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:07 pm 
Tofu Pup

Nope, just plain ol' apple cider.. not sparkling juice.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:59 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

usually the problem with the agar flakes or powder has more to do with concentration. But I use a lot of agar with all sorts of ingredients and have never seen it foam, so I dont think it's that.
cider can vary a lot in terms of acid (especially if it is non-pasteurized and starts to get nippy). I would imagine it has to do with the cider and the baking powder or soda or whatever it uses.

I have baked with sparkling liquids (beer, seltzer, etc) and it usually makes a nice, fluffy bread or cake. Although you are saying spongey-- from what I gather the whole point of the agar was to make the cupcake kind of shiny, would that account for spongey?

I have never made this recipe with the agar so I can't speak to it, but I would definitely try a one of the non-agar recipes (i think the VWAV cider muffins had no agar in them) and see if you get a better result.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:19 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Hmmm, I'm not sure I can help with troubleshooting, but I've made the cupcakes before, and they worked very well. Rave reviews. (ETA: Which I say only as evidence that the recipe can work. I'm sorry that it's not working for you; I've been there, and it's so frustrating!)

A couple of thoughts:
- are you using the flour called for in the recipe? Different flours have different protein levels, affecting the structure of the finished product. Even all purpose flour can vary in protein content depending on what part of the country you live in, unless you purchase a brand name like King Arthur (this is true at least in the US; not sure where you're posting from.)

- the apple butter can have varying moisture content, depending on what brand, if it's homemade, etc. I wonder if you might have success reducing the moisture in the apple butter by simmering it a bit before adding to the batter. (If memory serves I think I did this in the same saucepan as the apple cider was reduced in - first reduced the apple butter until it was quite thick, stirring often over medium heat, then emptying into a bowl with a spatula before proceeding with the apple cider/agar.)

I hope this is helpful!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:35 pm 
Tofu Pup

Thanks torque and dandykins, those are great suggestions. I'm going to try the recipe again and just keep an eye on the apple cider and apple butter to get the consistency I want. It may very well be the acidity in the cider. This will definitely take some troubleshooting, which is a pain, but I'm stubborn, so we'll see. LOL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:36 pm 
Tofu Pup

I'd love to know if anyone else has had any trouble with this recipe, though!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:01 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I vaguely remember a couple of us, including me, misread the recipe and used apple cider vinegar!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:39 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Jill wrote:
I vaguely remember a couple of us, including me, misread the recipe and used apple cider vinegar!

YOWCH!

I have made all sorts of crazy no-apple-cider-here subs, but managed to keep the vinegar out of the picture!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

veganvita wrote:
I'd love to know if anyone else has had any trouble with this recipe, though!

If you use the search for apple cider cupcakes there are about 3 pages of results, and a couple of other people mention the batter being unexpectedly thin, and I think one person didn't get the finished result they were expecting, but there are many other hits for people saying they made them and really liked them, so it looks like you're not alone but you're in a minority.

https://dropscone.wordpress.com/ - frugal recipes & finds in the UK