| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beans!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:04 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Hi! I was wondering if you all have suggestions for places to buy cheap dried beans in bulk. I live in Northern VA. I eat a lot of chickpeas, lentils, black beans, and pinto beans.

I went to BJ's wholesale and they DON'T EVEN SELL dried beans. There was half an isle of CANNED beans :( I did find really cheap quinoa on that isle though! They had great deals on brown rice, spices, olive oil, and some other essentials. But I was disappointed they didn't have beans. (I have a 60 day trial membership I randomly got in the mail)

Our Target and Giant have beans but not in bulk and I go through them really fast. Sometimes they go on sale. Trader Joe's doesn't sell dried beans. I think there's a Walmart maybe 20 minutes away but I haven't been there. I haven't been to Whole Foods to look yet but I have a feeling they won't be the cheapest. I haven't been to a ethnic food store but that might be a possibility.

Any ideas?!

Thanks!

“Everything in the world is beautiful, but Man only recognizes beauty if he sees it either seldom or from afar. Listen, today we are gods! Our blue shadows are enormous! We move in a gigantic, joyful world!”

Post subject: Re: Beans!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:00 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

if you do a search for 'arlington VA mercado' you get a few Latino markets including the creatively named "Arlington Mercado Latino". that would be my first choice, not just because the prices would probably be good but also because they're probably super fresh due to high turnover.
second choice for chickpeas and red lentils would be an Indian market, which I would assume you've got plenty of around there too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:43 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I echo the Indian market. I was amazed at how much cheaper and how much more variety my local Indian market had. In addition, I found great deals on garbanzos and fava beans at the local Middle Eastern market.
Also, I'm not sure if you're looking in a bulk section only of your grocery store (not familiar with BJ's - is that like Costco?) but pintos and black beans by the bag in the aisle with Mexican food items tend to be much cheaper than in the fancy shmancy organic part of the store. Same thing for spices and dried chilis.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:02 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Yes, Latino or Indian markets are probably a good bet. I actually buy my beans bagged from the supermarket because there is no bulk section, but I live in a very family-oriented, largely Latino neighborhood so they sell gigantic 5 lb bags of lentils or cans of black beans the size of soda bottles at the normal supermarket. It's worth checking the bottom shelves of the bean/grain aisles at your normal supermarket, because sometimes they will have gigantic bags of lentils and other stuff alongside the big bags of rice.

I don't think I've ever purchased dried beans at Whole Foods but I would be surprised if their dried beans were cheaper than the bagged beans on the shelf at the "regular" supermarket. Someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:24 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Thanks for all the feedback! I will try some ethnic markets! Hopefully I will get some good deals. And yeah BJ's is like Costco or Sam's Club.

“Everything in the world is beautiful, but Man only recognizes beauty if he sees it either seldom or from afar. Listen, today we are gods! Our blue shadows are enormous! We move in a gigantic, joyful world!”

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:54 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I echo the love for ethnic markets. You can also pick up a lot of other fun ingredients dirt cheap like spices, tamarind, pomegranate molasses, coconut milk/frozen/cream, dried mushrooms, tofu and veggies. :)

When our weekly purchase goes over $20, we feel like we've spent a lot of money... and we will still have 4 bags filled with produce, etc. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:53 am 
Bathes in Braggs

saveur wrote:
I echo the love for ethnic markets. You can also pick up a lot of other fun ingredients dirt cheap like spices, tamarind, pomegranate molasses, coconut milk/frozen/cream, dried mushrooms, tofu and veggies. :)

When our weekly purchase goes over $20, we feel like we've spent a lot of money... and we will still have 4 bags filled with produce, etc. ;)

Totally. The coconut milk at the Indian market is about a third of what I pay at a normal grocery store. And the veggies! There is stuff I've literally never heard of before. I like just browsing if I have the time and picking up random stuff to figure out what to do with later. This is probably why my pantry is a disaster.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:32 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I forgot about the cheap delicious veggies!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:56 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Yes! I love discovering new wacky veggies... sometimes I like them and sometimes I don't but I always like trying new things. :)

It is also where I get cheap baby bok choy.. love that stuff!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:54 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I also love adding water chestnuts to my stir fries and I bet cans of them are much cheaper at an Asian market!