| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Daiya sickness?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:46 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I had nachos with Daiya on Friday night and then I vomited them up a few hours later. I thought I made myself ill by swallowing a bit of neti-pot salt water and then coughing a ton so I had nachos with the same Daiya last night. Again with the vomiting a few hours later. It wasn't anything else I ate (my friend had nachos with cheese with the same toppings/beans). I'm wondering if I should tell the Co-op where I bought it that it made me puke. I've eaten nachos with Daiya before and never gotten sick, and I also eat it on pizza every Wednesday. I'm not sure if I am suddenly intolerant of it or if it was a bad batch. Any thoughts? Does Daiya make anyone else puke?

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

Post subject: Re: Daiya sickness?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:55 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

isn't that funny? we don't get cheez here and when we were in the US this past summer, the kid and I both bought and ate Daiya and both got sick. I just assumed it was us not being used to the stuff (we later ate some nachos with what i assume was daiya and we were OK). We didn't buy any more and I honestly don't really plan to eat it again.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:56 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

not a stomach on this earth can survive the curse of daiyas deliciousness. its still a price im willing to pay. no vom voms, but definite tummy trouble for me every time i eat it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:10 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I've heard of people getting stomach upsets from it. I got sick from a Daiya burrito from Whole Foods last summer but I think that was straight up food poisoning from bacteria. Lately when I've eaten Daiya I've been ok, but I'm not the hugest fan so I try to avoid it.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:27 pm 
WRETCHED

I've heard a lot of people complain about Daiya. I was just thinking that Daiya has ruined vegan restaurants. There is a restaurant near here that started using Daiya and somehow... many of their entrees have it. It seemed that vegan restaurants used to be creative but it seems faux cheese has stifled that creativity.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:35 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

yeah id prefer some kind of homemade sauce or spread at restaurants. the only time i want daiya out is at an omni pizza place, which is one of the few places its served around here.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:44 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I get stomach cramps after I eat mac and cheese with it. Although when I make pizza I'm fine since I use about 1/10th of what most people use on pizza.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:31 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I like Daiya, but I can only eat it in small to moderate quantities. It's never made me throw up, but it does tend to bother my stomach if I use too much.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:36 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Never had this happen to me. Daiya does spoil pretty quick, maybe your batch got spoiled. Was this the cheddar kind?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:39 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I think a lot of fat in one sitting can make anyone feel like crepe.

Also, this stuff seems to mold pretty fast. Did you use it "new" or had it been sitting in the fridge for a few days?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:42 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i really dont think its the oil, because i eat deep fried food on a regular basis in the fall. well all the time, but in the fall its a main component of my diet and im fine. theres just a price to pay for good fake cheese!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:51 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

It was the cheddar kind. On Friday night I had just opened it, last night it had been in the fridge since Friday rubber-banded shut. There wasn't any visible mold on it.

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:56 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Daiya didn't make me sick, but I didn't like the texture.

I would be concerned about spoilage and bacterial growth - it only lasts 7-10 days once opened. If it was a freshly opened bag, I would contact the store where you bought it. If they get other complaints, it could be a bad or improperly handled batch (for example, if it wasn't refrigerated during shipping).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:16 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I think the key is to not use too much. I never put as much Daiya on things as I used to with dairy cheese. I felt a bit sick after eating it the first time, but I'm fine when I use it at home because I limit the amount I put on.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:43 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Hm, never had issues here. Sorry to hear people getting sick from it! I wonder which it is- sensitivity or contamination...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:54 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I don't really like Daiya that much, but have never gotten sick from it. The only things I like with Daiya are Amy's macaroni and cheese, and a local pizza place uses it. Otherwise I stay away from Daiya.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:29 pm 
Chard Martyr

Sometimes I get Daiyarrhea.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:53 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

vijita wrote:

hahahahahaha!

Since it was a fresh bag and I've never been sick from it before I think I'll go to the Co-op and tell them that it made me ill. I didn't use a ton because the texture grosses me out when there's a lot of it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:02 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I'd definitely tell your co-op it made you sick, and ask what action they're willing to take (like pulling the rest off of the shelves).
Most stores would probably try to sell the rest anyways. The superstore by my parents house had rotten organic veganaise on the shelves for ages. Everytime I went I'd take them all off, leave them at the check out, and tell whoever was working that it was spoiled and if someone ate it like that it would make them really sick.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:08 pm 
Chard Martyr

linanil wrote:
It seemed that vegan restaurants used to be creative but it seems faux cheese has stifled that creativity.

I totally agree. The saddest thing is when restaurants replace previously delicious options such as house made vegan cheese sauces with Daiya. I am so bored of vegan food tasting like Daiya.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:14 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I like Daiya in teeny amounts as a condiment. I just put my bags straight into the freezer and they last for months. The few times I've had it in larger amounts I've felt queasy afterward. It may be worth telling your co-op, but if it wasn't bad, it was probably just your body reacting to it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:25 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

bekki wrote:
I like Daiya in teeny amounts as a condiment. I just put my bags straight into the freezer and they last for months. The few times I've had it in larger amounts I've felt queasy afterward. It may be worth telling your co-op, but if it wasn't bad, it was probably just your body reacting to it.

I've never reacted with any sickness before (and definitely never vomiting), so that's why I think it's a bad bag or something.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:43 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

vijita wrote:

bwahahaha! truth.

Cruelty Free Face
Morrissey Hates Murder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:26 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

vijita wrote:
linanil wrote:
It seemed that vegan restaurants used to be creative but it seems faux cheese has stifled that creativity.

I totally agree. The saddest thing is when restaurants replace previously delicious options such as house made vegan cheese sauces with Daiya. I am so bored of vegan food tasting like Daiya.

Lard yes. The pizza place here that used to use cheezly switched to daiya. Feh.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:48 pm 
Nailed to the V

vijita wrote:

hahaha! amazing (and so true).