| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Cookbook Challenge?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:48 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'd say going with the books that have 3 votes or more might best idea. It would probably mean that more people will have the book.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:32 pm 
Nailed to the V

Is it too late to vote? Books I'd like to see in the challenge are:

Inspired Vegan
Vegan Eats World
Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day
Complete Guide to Vegan Food Subs
Eat Drink and Be Vegan
World Vegan Feast

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

bcakes wrote:
Complete Guide to Vegan Food Subs

Oh I forgot I have this too. I never look at it. So I second it!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:17 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I am new here and a fairly new vegan (6 months, vegetarian 15 years). I have been lurking alot and would like to "come out" and join the boards. This challenge will help me get invovled in your community. I love cookbooks ( I read them like novels) and trying new recipes so I would love to participate if you don't mind. I don't own very many vegan books but I always get them from the library.
The ones I own are:

Chloe's Kitchen
Chloe's Vegan Desserts
Happy Herbivore Goes Abroad
Sweet Vegan
1000 Vegan Recipes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:48 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

This sounds great - 2 weeks would be better for my schedule, since I can't always cook every night (or even every other night). I have a ton of cookbooks, and I can find some others at the library (or I could be convinced to add to my collection!). It would be better for me if we pick a book that uses a lot of easy-to-find things, since I'm not exactly in a vegan mecca here.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:54 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Zula wrote:
I second Plenty by Yolam Ottolenghi. I've had it for over a year and haven't made anything from it, eek!

As gorgeous as this book looks, I personally tend to shy away from vegetarian books. Sometimes it's very easy to veganize a recipe, but sometimes I feel like elements of the recipe are crucial to the overall flavor.

Do you find most would taste fine, veganized?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:57 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

radioactivegan wrote:
This sounds great - 2 weeks would be better for my schedule, since I can't always cook every night (or even every other night). I have a ton of cookbooks, and I can find some others at the library (or I could be convinced to add to my collection!). It would be better for me if we pick a book that uses a lot of easy-to-find things, since I'm not exactly in a vegan mecca here.

Hello, fellow Washingtonian! I get a lot from the library too, because I'm a poor college student. Plus, I like to try out recipes before buying the book. That being said, I may buy the book that is chosen because I need more ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:33 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

bcakes wrote:
Is it too late to vote? Books I'd like to see in the challenge are:

it is definitely not too late to vote! i will continue tallying through the weekend..... I originally mentioned that I'd go through midnight on Monday the 18th, but I think that might be a bit too long since we started Wednesday and my list is so long!!..... I'll post sometime Monday morning and let people know that suggestion time has ended and I'll be getting the voting poll ready....

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

Last edited by bookwormbethie on Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:37 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

brontrent wrote:
I am new here and a fairly new vegan (6 months, vegetarian 15 years). I have been lurking alot and would like to "come out" and join the boards. This challenge will help me get invovled in your community. I love cookbooks ( I read them like novels) and trying new recipes so I would love to participate if you don't mind. I don't own very many vegan books but I always get them from the library.

Welcome and I'm so glad you decided to post a message! The cookbook challenge will be lots of fun! I also read cookbook like novels and love trying new recipes too, I think we all do around here :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:11 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Oh man! I so want to do another cookbook challenge! I'm going to be moving to another country plus going to a wedding in yet a different country during that period, so it's probably overly optimistic of me to even imagine I'll even have time to cook. But if we do any of the following, I'll try to make time:

Vegan Brunch
Vegan Eats World
Vegan Sandwiches Save the World
Color Me Vegan
500 Vegan Recipes

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:33 am 
Bathes in Braggs

brontrent wrote:
Happy Herbivore goes abroad
Sweet Vegan

Interesting, so the HH actually got 2 votes & the sweet vegan one three!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:40 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm soooo excited and impatient waiting to see what makes it to the final 5! Looking forward to it so much. And I may have someone that can fix the oven for me in time for it. If this person can actually fix it and isn't pulling my leg I will only have to pay for the part!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:33 am 
Saggy Butt

You're still taking votes, WooHOO!

Here's what I have:

Everything of Isa's and Terry's
Forks over Knives
both of Chloe's books
How it All Vegan, Garden of Vegan, La Dolce Vegan
500 Vegan Recipes
Cookin Crunk
My Vegan Table, Joy of Vegan Baking
The Kind Diet
VOTC, Vegan Planet, Fresh From the Vegan Slow Cooker
Sweet Vegan
Wild About Greens
Get Healthy, Go Vegan
Vegan Supermarket, Vegan Italiano, Mediterranean Vegan
Plenty
American Vegan Kitchen
Betty Goes Vegan
The Blissful Chef

Oh, wow. That's embarrassingly too many! And y'all are making me think I need the Vegan Sandwiches one!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:01 am 
Saggy Butt

Also I forgot something about Healthy Meals for Monster Appetites, Vegan Diner, Sexy Vegan, and Vegan Yum Yum.

I think that's all.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:01 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Oh yeah, Blissful Chef and Inspired Vegan. I really want to get blissful and inspired cooking out of those two!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:47 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

hi again, thanks for the continued title suggestions!

update:
81 cookbooks on the list
positions 1 - 26 have between 3 - 12 votes. (VEW has the most at 12!)
positions 27 - 51 have just 2
and 52 - 81 have just 1

we've been suggesting cookbook titles since wendesday...... i'm going to cut off voting a bit early (I originally said Monday at 11:59 EST) but my suggestion list is crazy long! so i'm going to end suggestions once I have close to 30 cookbooks (or nearish to that number such as 28) that have at least 3 recommendations or at 5pm EST on Sunday, March 17, whichever comes first!

on monday or tuesday i will create a new discussion post with directions on how to vote. we will vote for our top 5 and begin on april 1.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:52 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

wooohoooo! This is so exciting! How long have we to vote and when do we expect to start? I just want a rough time frame so I can work on making sure I have money for fixing the oven and getting any new cookbooks, waiting for them to be delivered and then ingredient hunting.

What I like most about the challenge is the 2weeks. I cook for one so often a recipe lasts a few days.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:57 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

daisychain wrote:
wooohoooo! This is so exciting! How long have we to vote and when do we expect to start? I just want a rough time frame so I can work on making sure I have money for fixing the oven and getting any new cookbooks, waiting for them to be delivered and then ingredient hunting.

What I like most about the challenge is the 2weeks. I cook for one so often a recipe lasts a few days.

i think you asked your question while i was editing my message to include all those important details ;)

i think at least a 3 day voting period?
definitely a start date of april 1.

i really hope you get get you oven fixed so you can participate to the fullest!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:00 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Ok brilliant! If it is something that I don't have that is started with then I should have it in the post early enough in the first week so I should be good.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:09 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Are the Isa/Terry books included in the general poll? Or should people be expecting to do them during the general Isa/Terry week? Or both? As much as I love both of their books, I'd hate to end up doing one for every single one of these weeks because I'd like to take a crack at some of my lesser-used cookbooks. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:13 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'll probably give one Isa book a vote and VEW then dole out my other 3 votes to other books even if I don't have them (yet) just so that it is varied up a bit.

I actually can't express how excited I am. I'm like checking the forum every few minutes for this thread like I'm expecting the actual finalists to be listed already ahead of schedule. Somebody sedate me already!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:39 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Limone wrote:
Are the Isa/Terry books included in the general poll? Or should people be expecting to do them during the general Isa/Terry week? Or both? As much as I love both of their books, I'd hate to end up doing one for every single one of these weeks because I'd like to take a crack at some of my lesser-used cookbooks. :)

yes the isa/terry books are included in the poll. that was my oversight/error i suppose since i forgot to say that there would be a free week to use any or all of isa/terry's books

however, only VEW and AFR are in the top 26 so, thankfully, i don't think your very valid concern will become an issue :)

edited to add, ack okay, a few more titles are too.... .hmmm.... what to do? should i just ignore them in my recommendation tally sheet since we do plan to have an isa/terry free week or two scattered between the other cookbook challenges?

Last edited by bookwormbethie on Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

daisychain wrote:
I'll probably give one Isa book a vote and VEW then dole out my other 3 votes to other books even if I don't have them (yet) just so that it is varied up a bit.

I actually can't express how excited I am. I'm like checking the forum every few minutes for this thread like I'm expecting the actual finalists to be listed already ahead of schedule. Somebody sedate me already!

you = awesome

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:46 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

If it were me I would just leave the Isa/Terry books off the poll list, and if there really seems to be a huge demand for them make there be two Isa/Terry sessions instead of one. Heck, you could do 7 sessions for this challenge, with an Isa/Terry session both at the beginning AND the end.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:55 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

A possible solution would be to put any book with Isa's name on it in a separate poll and only give people 3 votes in that one then the 3 finalists is a week where people get to choose one of the 3. Then it would still end up being a week where there was an Isa/Terry week but not . I'd say from the level of interest in VEW I would put that into the big poll and a vote for 4 in that then. It would make sure we weren't doing an exclusive Isa/Terry the whole way through!

Although..... maybe an Isa/Terry the whole way through could be another option for down the line!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next