| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Spring 2013 Cookbook Challenge - Time to Officially Vote
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:20 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Moon wrote:
Should we put together a thread that shares links to recipes from the books? I won't be able to buy any of the books so will definitely be relying on the World Wide Web.

I will definitely do this once voting has ended (not til Wednesday afternoon) and the finalists have been chosen :) When I create the new discussion post with the finalists & time schedule, I will also include lots of online resources.

I've been checking the polls occasionally and things really have been changing, it's a close race between several cookbooks so I think it's too soon to tell what all the top 5 are going to be.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:34 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'd say the top 2 are going to be in the final 5 but the other 3 spots any book could take!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:51 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Interesting to see which books are edging towards the lead! I have Vegan Diner and Vegan Sandwiches, and some (but not all) of the other books so it looks like I may be trying something new...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:47 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Voted! And thanks for organizing this.

I like the website, it's cool to see what it in the lead :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:02 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Thanks so much for organizing this challenge. It's looking like it's going to be so much fun! It will be super-helpful to have links to recipes online.

I'm looking foward to participating in the PPK community!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:16 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

VeganinBerlin wrote:
I must admit out of the Vegan Diner ones I found online it just really didn't seem like a cookbook I'd use that much. maybe the recipes I found will change my mind after I tried them, they just seemed pretty basic... Vegan Sandwiches on the other hand looks very exciting. i've been reading the ppk thread for it for weeks!

Agreed that the recipes in Vegan Diner are on the basic side, but everything I've tried from that book has been A+ in the flavor department which probably counts for something. Depends on your tastes though, I guess!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:20 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

VeganinBerlin wrote:
I must admit out of the Vegan Diner ones I found online it just really didn't seem like a cookbook I'd use that much. maybe the recipes I found will change my mind after I tried them, they just seemed pretty basic... Vegan Sandwiches on the other hand looks very exciting. i've been reading the ppk thread for it for weeks!

I will admit, Vegan Sandwiches is very exciting and takes sandwiches to a whole other level, but I do quite enjoy Vegan Diner as well. My omni hubby is particularly fond of the chili from Vegan Diner. I've also made the banana choc chip bread from Vegan Diner and it's fantastic as well as other recipes too. Sometimes "basic" can be a good thing: it's comforting, it's no fuss, it's easy to put together with common ingredients on hand.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:22 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Yes that chili is so good! And very easy. I make it at least a couple times a month.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:23 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Limone wrote:
Interesting to see which books are edging towards the lead! I have Vegan Diner and Vegan Sandwiches, and some (but not all) of the other books so it looks like I may be trying something new...

Chicki wrote:
Voted! And thanks for organizing this.

I like the website, it's cool to see what it in the lead :)

Yes, I had the choice to not have viewing available, but that would have been too much of a tease. It has been quite fun to check in on the polls occasionally during the day and see how positions are changing, it's so close for quite a few books! If there are any ties, I'll do a tie-breaker poll. I'm interesting to see how things will turn out by Wednesday afternoon!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:06 pm 
Nailed to the V

Looks like I'll finally be breaking down and buying Vegan Diner. I had it out from the library for like 2 months and cooked the heck out of it. But that's just a sign that I should own it anyway...

Thanks, bookworm, for all the work you've put in! I'm really looking forward to this!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:10 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Another one here that will be getting Vegan Diner. From what I have been reading on the boards it sounds really good.

ETA That I just checked my public library online and they have a copy in, I put a hold on it and will be picking it up this week! So excited to look through it!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:30 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I like that you are doing two weeks per cook book. We've always done one in the past, but I think this may work out better!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:07 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

just checking in.... i'm amazed at how many people have voted so far, just a reminder that in the early afternoon on wednesday, march 20 (between noon and 2pm) i will disable the voting.

i'll create a big new discussion thread on thursday or friday with the challenge cookbooks, time frames, online resources for recipes and such..... i'm very much looking forward to this!

i requested one cookbook from the library that i didn't have that i think might make it into the top 5 ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:05 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm such a poll stalker! I checked in this morning when I had breakfast cooking then checked as soon as I got in home from work. I did a mini strike at work today because my phone has no reception so I couldn't check all day.

Thanks so much for this because it is making me so darn excited!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:29 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Since so many of the authors are so nice and helpful and into vegan outreach, it might also be worth asking them if they could provide a recipe or two for the purpose.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:03 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

lavawitch wrote:
Since so many of the authors are so nice and helpful and into vegan outreach, it might also be worth asking them if they could provide a recipe or two for the purpose.

one step ahead of you there ;) but that is a great idea! i wanted to have all my ducks in a row for the new discussion post on thursday or friday that will announce the cookbook challenge winners so i went ahead and e-mailed a few of the cookbook authors that i knew would most likely end up in the top 5 and have received some great replies back :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:04 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

daisychain wrote:
I'm such a poll stalker! I checked in this morning when I had breakfast cooking then checked as soon as I got in home from work. I did a mini strike at work today because my phone has no reception so I couldn't check all day.

Thanks so much for this because it is making me so darn excited!

yay, i think a lot of us are poll stalkers! i think that's why the view count is so high for this discussion post, we all keep coming back to click the poll links and see what's going on ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:50 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

bookwormbethie wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

one step ahead of you there ;) but that is a great idea! i wanted to have all my ducks in a row for the new discussion post on thursday or friday that will announce the cookbook challenge winners so i went ahead and e-mailed a few of the cookbook authors that i knew would most likely end up in the top 5 and have received some great replies back :)

Oh that is so neat.

"Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit!" -allularpunk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:13 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Ohhhh! It's getting close for 5th place!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:49 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

bookwormbethie wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

Bookwormbethie, you are the best cook book challenge organizer ever!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:49 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

voting has been disabled for both polls.... stand by for a new poll to decide our 5th cookbook, 3 cookbooks are currently tied for 5th place!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:50 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

*blush* thank you for the generous compliment!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:00 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

bookwormbethie wrote:
lavawitch wrote:

I've never been around for one of these challenges, but I'm going to agree!

"Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit!" -allularpunk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:13 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

One potential sharing tool could be Pepperplate. It's a recipe folder app that I use that is pretty easy to share.

Also, we could make a "Google Drive" with folders for each cookbook. Included in the recipe, the poster could add his or her own comments, so as not to infringe on any copyright laws?

Those may be way too complicated, but seeing as how I only have one of the cookbooks that will be a part of the challenge, I'm very invested in a good file sharing system.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:09 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Moon wrote:

I've never been around for one of these challenges, but I'm going to agree!

Thank you, but I'd like to add that Maggie Muggins organized the previous one and she did a very good job! And I'm sure there have been other great cookbook challenge organizers too, I'm still pretty new around here ;)

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2