| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help! First Passover as a Vegan!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:33 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hello all,

I have recently become a Vegan and have really been feeling quite positive about this lifestyle change. With the holiday season soon approaching (my first as a Vegan) I find myself a little..worried, frankly. Whereas I have been a Pescetarian for a couple of years, the elimination of eggs and dairy as I'm sure many of you know, cuts about 99% of the 'normal' Passover options. I was hoping I may be able to get some suggestions. I know that my family would be as supportive as they could be but I'd be interesting in bringing my own vegan dishes not only for myself but to show those meat-eaters that vegan does not mean tasteless!

Any of you lovely people who have celebrated a Passover and have recipes to suggest would be TRULY appreciated. For those out there who are unaware Passover (in a nutshell) means no flour. As an Ashkenazi Jewish family officially the rules are that we cannot eat any of the following: Leavened bread, cakes, biscuits, crackers, cereals, coffee ‘‘blends’’, wheat, barley, oats, rice, dry peas, dry beans, and all liquids which contain ingredients or flavors made from grain alcohol or vinegar, peas, corn, rice, beans or other legumes.

Really leaves a lot of options when you apply it to a Vegan lifestyle, right??

Now I think it goes without saying that maintaining my Vegan diet takes precedence over the rules of Passover, but I would like to (if possible) at least avoid flour, rice, and corn.

Any assistance would be TRULY appreciated. If I can get some over the next couple days I would even have some time to perfect them before the Seders next week!

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Help! First Passover as a Vegan!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:53 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I'm not Jewish but my dad's side is so I was a bit interested. I did some google searching and found these links for you:

http://www.peta.org/features/vegan-pass ... cipes.aspx

http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2011/04/ ... reats.html

http://www.vegkitchen.com/hot-topics/pa ... pleasures/

Try those? I guess if I was going to bring something to serve I'd do a trial run a few days before to make sure that they come out ok and don't need to be adjusted before serving to guests!

Good luck :)

“Everything in the world is beautiful, but Man only recognizes beauty if he sees it either seldom or from afar. Listen, today we are gods! Our blue shadows are enormous! We move in a gigantic, joyful world!”

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:59 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Also this one lists some cookbooks as reference that perhaps you could find at a library

http://www.vrg.org/recipes/passover.htm

“Everything in the world is beautiful, but Man only recognizes beauty if he sees it either seldom or from afar. Listen, today we are gods! Our blue shadows are enormous! We move in a gigantic, joyful world!”

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:07 pm 
Tofu Pup

Thank you so much Serafina! :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:58 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I'm also Ashkenazi, but I've found it near impossible to be an Ashkenazi vegan on Passover, so I allow beans. I do know people who follow Ashkenazi Passover rules as vegans, and they generally end up eating a whole lot of nuts to get enough protein. Last year, I made a bunch of different cold salad-type things -- some carrot salad, baba ganoush, lentil pate, and a few others -- plus some regular lettuce salad, and picked two or three each day to have for lunch with some matzo. Olive Trees and Honey, a vegetarian (though not vegan) Jewish cookbook, has a lot of these, and Vegetarian Pesach Cookbook is kind of boring but useful if you're looking for more traditional Ashkenazi stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:24 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I eat beans, too. My family always has. But I've been collecting a bunch of vegan passover recipes and guides here, including lots of kitniyot-less recipes: http://pinterest.com/lonestarplate/vegan-passover/

I think a good place to start are raw recipes (especially ones with nuts), quinoa, and starchy vegetables like beets and potatoes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:29 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I took the eggplant casserole from PETA to a sedar last year and it was well received.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:07 pm 
Tofu Pup

Thank you so much everyone for your quick and seriously helpful suggestions :) What a wonderful first experience with these forums! :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:55 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Can you have pseudo grains like quinoa, amaranth, buckwheat, millet etc? Maybe you can find some inspiration in glutenfree recipes?

I think looking at raw recipes is also a great idea. Maybe Isa's raw cheesecake would fit the bill? http://www.theppk.com/2009/05/raw-straw ... heesecake/

Also, nuts and seeds are your friends. Make nut cheese and cream, salads and stir fries with nuts sprinkled over them etc.

Can you have edamame soy beans? It's a green (not dry) bean, and much higher in protein than other green beans.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:19 am 

Cornelie wrote:
Can you have pseudo grains like quinoa, amaranth, buckwheat, millet etc? Maybe you can find some inspiration in glutenfree recipes?

I think looking at raw recipes is also a great idea. Maybe Isa's raw cheesecake would fit the bill? http://www.theppk.com/2009/05/raw-straw ... heesecake/

Also, nuts and seeds are your friends. Make nut cheese and cream, salads and stir fries with nuts sprinkled over them etc.

Can you have edamame soy beans? It's a green (not dry) bean, and much higher in protein than other green beans.

The list of kitniyot is ridiculously inclusive. Not only are edamame on there, but green beans, mustard (seeds), cumin, and poppy seeds.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:31 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Hmm, those rabbis were definitely on the 'better safe than sorry' team.

What about pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pine nuts, flax and chia?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am 
Naked Under Apron

I think pine nuts are OK. I'm pretty sure flax is kitniyot. I'm not sure about the rest of your list.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:42 am 

Cornelie wrote:
Hmm, those rabbis were definitely on the 'better safe than sorry' team.

What about pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pine nuts, flax and chia?

Sunflower seeds are kitniyot, pumpkin seeds and pine nuts are not. Flax and chia are debatable, though most people say they're ok in their whole form.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:23 am 
***LIES!!!***

Welcome to veganism!

I did two Passovers as a straight-up, no kitniyot vegan. Then I said, F this and declared myself Sephardic for Passover (although beware, it is a little tricky even to eat kitniyot in the US/Canada, since there weren't, until very recently, hekshered kitniyot available and even so, you need to buy products in advance of Passover and nullify any potential chametz hidden within them before Passover begins; also many have the tradition of rinsing their kitniyot multiple times to make sure there is no chametz within). Then after that, tons of Ashkenazi rabbis started coming out with opinions that Ashkenazim should eat kitniyot because we should not continue in traditions that are stupid - this was particularly big in Israel, where it's actually hard to avoid kitniyot on Pesach and most of the population does not have the tradition to avoid kitniyot (would be happy to send you some of these responsa if you are interested). Then a few years after that I became a rabbi and decided to agree with those other rabbis and could just be an enlightened Ashkenazit instead of a fake Sephardit. And after that, the OU started giving hekshers to kitniyot on Passover (for Sephardic use only, of course, because we are talking about the OU), that makes it easier to eat kitniyot over Passover at all.

So, short answer: eat kitniyot if you can happily do so
Long answer: I understand it's really difficult to give up family tradition. Tradition is important, probably more important than good legal reasoning for eating kitniyot. If you don't feel comfortable giving it up, don't.

My solutions for kitniyot-free living over Passover:
-treat it as an opportunity to go nuts with fruits and veggies
-do not be one of those people who thinks peanuts are kitniyot, that is just awful. If you must be one of those people, get friendly with almond butter at least.
-eat quinoa, do not be one of those people who thinks quinoa is kitniyot
-buy a bunch of blue diamond almond milk before passover, it's considered kosher for passover if bought before you say the prayer for nullifying chametz.
-learn to make a nut loaf (this is what I'm doing for our seders this year, which are kitniyot free)
-use this recipe for matzah balls, they're really good: http://blogs.kcrw.com/goodfood/2011/04/ ... tzo-balls/ and no tofu or flax!
-generally single ingredient things that are hekshered for year round use and are chametz/kitniyot free are kosher for passover if bought before passover and you say the prayer for nullifying chametz (so almond butter, peanut butter, packages of quinoa, etc.)
-matzah lasagna with cashew ricotta is the bomb, you can also make a bechamel/alfredo from cashews for fancying up veggie dishes
-the biggest problem is protein, so really, get friendly with quinoa and nuts (and chia if you're down with that)
-seder plate: roasted red beet for the bone, vegan matzah ball for the egg

Mollyjade - that pinterest is awesome! I am going to be all over that for Passover.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:41 am 

Can this be a general passover thread now? It's my favorite holiday. I just ordered a vegan seder plate from someone on Etsy. It won't be ready for this year, but I've been wanting to do this for years.

Also, the kosher-friendly grocery store in Austin has specific kosher for Passover almond milk this year, which I think it pretty awesome. They also have KP quinoa.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:12 am 
Naked Under Apron

I've found that the best and easiest vegan non-kitniyot matzo balls I've made have been with potato starch. A whole lot easier than cooking potatoes. This is my recipe, which was based on a recipe that someone (sorry, I forgot who) posted on the PPK last Passover:

Mix 1/4 cup potato starch with 3 tablespoons water. Add 3/4 cup
seltzer and 3 tablespoons oil, then 1 cup matzo meal (I used the
Manischevitz brand -- it seems like different brands absorb the liquid
differently), 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon chicken-style broth
powder (I used the Osem brand). Mix everything together and let it
sit in the fridge about an hour. Simmer in salted water about 25
minutes. Makes about 12.

It seems like it might work better to add a bit more seltzer just before cooking, since the bubbles mostly go out of it as it sits, but I haven't tried that yet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:41 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Oh cool, I'll have to try that. It was probably me who posted the potato one, since that is what I do, and for some reason that method does not seem very popular.

Last year was the first year I ever saw KP rice (for Sephardim or for me me me), but apparently there are now going to be lots of KP kitniyot available this year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:03 pm 
***LIES!!!***

More on almond (and soy!) milk for Passover. The soy is just for those who are eating kitniyot, the almond is for everybody. Buy *before* Passover starts and you are golden.
http://oukosher.org/passover/guidelines ... mond-milk/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:08 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I've only had failures with the vwav tofu matzo balls, but my mom just made them as a trial run for my sister and they came out super great for her! she said the trick was to simmer them in a wide shallow pan rather than a pot, to give them room and then she let the balls sit overnight and they were perfect the next day. The other trick she did was sauteeting some onions in oil and then using that as the oil. Apparently it tastes "just like my grandmother's schmaltz (ew!)" but she loved them and she's pretty picky about matzo balls.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:38 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yeah, I've only had fails with that matzo ball recipe. Does anyone have one that works?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:03 pm 

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I've only had failures with the vwav tofu matzo balls, but my mom just made them as a trial run for my sister and they came out super great for her! she said the trick was to simmer them in a wide shallow pan rather than a pot, to give them room and then she let the balls sit overnight and they were perfect the next day. The other trick she did was sauteeting some onions in oil and then using that as the oil. Apparently it tastes "just like my grandmother's schmaltz (ew!)" but she loved them and she's pretty picky about matzo balls.

I wonder if you could steam them somehow. I've seen a few recipes that bake them, though that always seems wrong to me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:06 pm 

A friend just posted a link to this fair trade, kosher for passover, vegan chocolate. http://fairtradejudaica.org/fair-trade- ... passover/#

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:10 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

baked does seem wrong, but steaming sounds like it might work! that's a really good idea!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:20 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Butternut wrote:
Yeah, I've only had fails with that matzo ball recipe. Does anyone have one that works?

I've generally had fails with the tofu one, but the one I posted upthread, with potato starch, has worked out every time for me. The only time that one got messed up was when I wasn't paying enough attention to the pot and it was at a full boil for about 10 minutes or so. If you make sure to keep it at a simmer, it works.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:29 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Oh, dert...I didn't see that. Thanks for redirecting me.