| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Kite Hill Cheeses!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:13 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Shucks, I tried the Alder a couple of weeks ago and thought the most impressive aspects (for a $13 item !) were the rind and the casing, by far. Interesting in trying the rest, though!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:33 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Read the thread this morning, got excited, and soon after made the windy walk over to Whole Foods to buy.

The Alder, paired with cracker, dried fig, and persimmon is most tasty. A bit tofu-y in texture and not really as brie-like as I hoped, but darned expensive and tasty.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:26 pm 
Naked Under Apron

This finally made its way to the east coast, so I bought the White Alder this weekend too! It was very mild, not as flavorful as I was hoping for, mostly salty. I had heard it compared to brie, but honestly I have no freaking clue what brie tastes like. Anyway I liked it, but I don't see myself spending fourteen bucks on it again any time soon.

I think the only other one they had was the Cassucio, which was slightly cheaper ($9?), so I might try that sometime.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:52 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

oddspongeout wrote:
I was going to sit here and whine to myself that they don't have it in my town. . . But they do, and I apparently pass over it every time I'm at Whole Foods' faux meat/cheese section? I must check this out!

They're hiding in the ACTUAL cheese section! Which I think is neat--they're calling it nut milk cheese and putting it in with the rest of the cheese like "hey, this ain't a weird thing at all y'all should get up on it."

My friend who has a partner who makes too much money almost always buys some Kite Hill when my bf and I are going to their place for dinner because she always sets out wine and cheese beforehand. I am all too happy to eat it on someone else's dime!

I like the White Alder. It's been so long since I've had brie that it's really not an issue for me--the outside is a nice texture and I love how creamy it is inside. The taste is mild, but just enough tang to be pleasant. The Costanoa isn't as good, though I don't find the texture very tofu-y--it's just fairly bland. I enjoy it plenty with a cracker, though, especially when there's other little nibblies that I can pile on. The creaminess makes for a nice complement to other things.

Also, omnis have sampled it when it's been out and said it's pretty good. So, I see that as a victory--that omnis might actually be willing to enjoy eating it. Word!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:47 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

i tried the white alder. it's so weird. it does have mild brie taste to it, which is nice, but the texture makes it seem like it's tofu set up with agar. that's not what i want from almond and macadamia cheese. also, it's kind of oily. my omni friend said it had a brie taste to it, so that is good. but it also made both of our throats burn. i have no idea what that was about as i've never had that reaction to nuts before.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:16 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

My mom bought me the White Alder when I went home for Christmas. I was thrilled to try it, as I didn't know it made it to MA yet. But I was a little dissapointed - it was fairly bland and the texture was a little tofu-like. I guess for the taste and the hype I thought i'd be amazing? But it was tasty on garlic-herb crackers, and it wasn't any trouble to snack on it! I'm interested in trying the other flavors to compare.

Also: there is Kite Hill VEGAN RICOTTA! My mom had to ask for it, and they scooped it out of a big case and weighed by the pound - it was DELICIOUS. I made stuffed shells with it. I mean, it was a treat, and probably just as good as tofu-cashew ricotta, but the ease of cooking with it was great. I'd buy it again.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:31 pm 
Huffs Nooch

My boyfriend and I picked up the Cassucio a couple of weeks ago, and we flipped for it. It is mild - in a very fresh-buffalo-mozzarella way. We had it on crackers first, which was delightful (my vegetarian kid [20] and his omni roommate [19] scarfed it up, too). A couple of days ago, we made a caprese-esque salad with cherry tomatoes, basil, and a luxurious balsamic, and it was incredible.

The Cassucio was the only one this WF had; apparently they had gotten the other two flavors in, and nobody working in the cheese department liked them, so they won't stock them. Grrrr. They're also about to stop carrying the Cassucio, too, because it's not selling. Of course, nobody seems to know that it's there...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:28 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I tried the ricotta, only because I stumbled upon it at a different Whole Foods than "my" WF and we were having calzones that night. Not impressed, particularly for the price. Isa's cashew tofu ricotta is still the clear winner on that front.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:01 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Is this stuff refrigerated? Wondering if I can buy some in NYC to bring home, or if I'll have to try it there.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:06 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

And I totally didn't realize Door 86 was local to Nashville! I'm going to have to pick some up soon.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:36 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

creep wrote:
And I totally didn't realize Door 86 was local to Nashville! I'm going to have to pick some up soon.

Let us know how it goes! I backed them on Kickstarter and can't wait to try some delicious cheezy goodness.

I had Treeline while I was in Austin and LOVED IT. It definitely beat out Kite Hill, though I still enjoy Kite Hill and I like that vegan cheeses are being taken seriously by omni stores.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:12 am 
Huffs Nooch

creep wrote:
Is this stuff refrigerated? Wondering if I can buy some in NYC to bring home, or if I'll have to try it there.

It is refrigerated, so traveling with it probably isn't feasible.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:59 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I got the White Alder. At the WF I went to it was in the dairy case with the other nondairy cheeses which is fine by me because I hate being in the cheese and meat areas. I thought it was like brie too. I would like to try another flavor too. Maybe a different WF would have one?

I'm also excited to try Door 86 as I also backed them on Kickstarter. Anyone know when they're going to ship out the perk packages?