| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who's tried dinner subscription boxes? (Plated, Blue Apron)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:26 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Off the top of my head I can think of Plated, Blue Apron, and Hello Fresh. Are there others?

I keep hearing ads for these subscription boxes on the podcasts I listen to and a few have promotional deals for first timers. They have a veggie option and I'd say depending on the service it's vegan or veganizable 50% of the time, so if you have an omni/vegetarian partner (as I do) it can work out ok. You can also skip weeks where it's completely inedible, which I have done a few times.

Last week I tried Plated and was really disappointed. The meals were vegetarian pad Thai one night and a carrot coriander sound the other night. They were both lacking protein and each meal was enough to serve 2 people + 1/2 serving of leftovers/each if you ate sparingly (at $20/meal, that's pretty ridic). I'm probably going to cancel that account and I'm trying Blue Apron next week. They seem a lot more vegan-friendly and the food is more interesting.

Anyone else tried these things out? It's great to not have to shop or meal plan on busy weeknights but so far the execution is sub-par.

Post subject: Re: Who's tried dinner subscription boxes? (Plated, Blue Apr
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:33 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I have never tried this. However, I just thought I'd suggest that you check out the meal pack subscriptions at www.fakemeats.com. I have ordered products (The Vegg, soy curls, jerky) from them and it has always been a good experience. The websight is fun to browse, my order ships quickly, accurately, and undamaged, and the prices are reasonable.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:13 am 
Saggy Butt

Not sure if this is subscription or regular delivery, but people are loving Munchery. My best friend is obsessed with their Spanish tofu.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:46 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I tried Plated. The dishes that I had called for Parmesean, but not in a necessary way so it was easy to leave it out. Unfortunately, you've already bought the parmesean.

One recipe had several ingredients missing from the box. I couldn't make an entire dish component. I complained but didn't get any refund or apology.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:02 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

tofu_crouton wrote:
I tried Plated. The dishes that I had called for Parmesean, but not in a necessary way so it was easy to leave it out. Unfortunately, you've already bought the parmesean.

One recipe had several ingredients missing from the box. I couldn't make an entire dish component. I complained but didn't get any refund or apology.

Yeah, I had a delivery issue and the customer service was pretty bad. That's another reason I don't want to keep my subscription.

Alin wrote:
Not sure if this is subscription or regular delivery, but people are loving Munchery. My best friend is obsessed with their Spanish tofu.

You know, I've looked at Munchery. They don't seem that vegetarian/vegan-friendly but maybe I've looked on the wrong days. My omni co-worker loves it and I'd like to try it once they make it south to Fremont (or they deliver to my workplace, haven't looked into that).

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
I have never tried this. However, I just thought I'd suggest that you check out the meal pack subscriptions at http://www.fakemeats.com. I have ordered products (The Vegg, soy curls, jerky) from them and it has always been a good experience. The websight is fun to browse, my order ships quickly, accurately, and undamaged, and the prices are reasonable.

Do these include all the ingredients (veggies, etc.) or only the meat part? That's part of the appeal of these other boxes, though I do like the idea of something exclusively vegan!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:21 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

couroupita wrote:

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
I have never tried this. However, I just thought I'd suggest that you check out the meal pack subscriptions at http://www.fakemeats.com. I have ordered products (The Vegg, soy curls, jerky) from them and it has always been a good experience. The websight is fun to browse, my order ships quickly, accurately, and undamaged, and the prices are reasonable.

Do these include all the ingredients (veggies, etc.) or only the meat part? That's part of the appeal of these other boxes, though I do like the idea of something exclusively vegan!

No, you'd still be responsible for buying your own fresh produce, and probably some other ingredients like grains and spices. I know it's not exactly what you were looking for. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:51 am 
Tofu Pup

I signed up with HelloFresh last month and so far I've had a very positive experience. They provide all the ingredients you need in exactly the right amount, so you don't have to worry about food waste, which is a huge plus for me (unfortunately there is quite a bit of packaging, but I guess that's the payoff for 100% fresh ingredients!)

I thought the portion sizes were very reasonable -- the classic box is plenty for two people. I will say that I used a coupon code (and found a few more here: http://www.flipit.com/us/hellofresh), which definitely made me feel better about the expense, because that's the biggest downside. But all in all I am quite satisfied and plan to continue my subscription!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:46 am 
Asked Santa for a pony

I emailed Hello Fresh a few weeks ago to ask if they were working on an all vegan box and they said they were!

If other people are interested please email them to let them know!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:35 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

You guys! Lighter looks to be at the very least vegetarian, but I can't tell for sure. This is from their website:

Quote:
In the United States, three of the four leading causes of death are diet related. These are not just statistics. These are our aunts, uncles, friends, parents and siblings. We are seeing people we love miss out on vibrant, adventurous lives. So we built Lighter to make it as convenient as possible for our communities to eat better. The science is clear; a plant-based diet is the best way to heal our bodies and prevent disease.

In addition, sustainability is at our core. Micah’s daughter is five now, and we want to make sure her generation grows up on a planet that is more bountiful and beautiful than the one that exists today. So, we must design a more sustainable food system.

Eating a delicious, whole foods, plant-based diet is the most energy-efficient way to get all the nourishment we need. If a plant-powered foods can fuel Micah’s ultramarathon, they can fuel any adventure that come our way with a Lighter footprint.

I also checked out their instagram account where there's not an animal product in sight and they liberally use #vegan and #whatveganseat hashtags, so i think it might be all vegan? That would be amazing! But... there's some weird stuff mentioned in the likes/dislikes section about meat and honey, so I'm not positive. It's way more customizable than other services, so I don't think we're at risk of getting any animal products in our box.

Plus the meals are wayyyy cheaper than the other services I've seen.

We just ordered a box - 4 lunches and 5 dinners, plus it includes some snacks. I'm excited and will report back!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:50 am 
WRETCHED

It isn't quite the same but I've been looking at either greenlite or 22 days. I'm really looking for weight loss though. The idea of using something that delivers all ingredients to make dinner sounds interesting though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:16 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

What about combining a menu-planning service plus grocery deliveries? I tried out emeals for a little while, and while they didn't have a vegan option, the vegetarian option wasn't too hard to veganize. I didn't stick with it very long, but that wasn't the fault of emeals (it was too much work trying to adapt their recipes to my kids' very picky palates). I grocery shopped myself in one big shop per week, but I think it could work well combined with a grocery delivery service.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:11 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I really like Blue Apron, usually two or three out of the three weekly meals are able to be veganized easily. They have great customer service and it's a great way to try different cuisines and veggies that you would normally not think to grab at the store. I enjoy cooking so Blue Apron's value to me was the variety and meal planning aspect. I don't use them every week but it's fun to change things up sometimes!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:29 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I've been using Greenlite for a few weeks now (they deliver fully-cooked meals, not ingredients), and it's pretty good, though not great. (I love cooking, but I'm having several different issues now -- health-related and time-related and house-related -- that mean that I really can't do much cooking for the next few months.) The meals are decent, if not spectacular, and a lot healthier than what I'd get from buying frozen meals at the supermarket, plus a lot easier (there's no grocery delivery where I live). Once I'm able to do more cooking, I might try one of the companies that delivers ingredients.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:43 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I'm about to get my 3rd delivery from Lighter. I have confirmed they are all vegan! I am in love with this service, and already don't know what I would do without it. The site and system is a little buggy, and the recipe scaling could use some work (we always end up with a ton of food for two people), but they're a brand new company, so I'm going to be patient for awhile.

So, Lighter designs a vegan meal plan for you and then uses a service like instacart to deliver the groceries. You can customize the way your meals are divvied up as well as how long you want to spend cooking. Right now we get 5 dinners and 4 lunches and a 45 minute cooking time, but on really busy weeks you can lower it to 10 or 25 minutes. You can customize it to fit your life week by week, and pause any time. We have a bunch of friends coming into town next week and know we're not going to cook at all, so we're just going to pause the plan!

Unlike other subscription box services you DO have to do the prep work, but that doesn't bother me at all, especially since that makes it way cheaper per meal than other services ($6/meal vs. $16 or more for two people) They tend to be really good about giving you some frozen veggies to use if the recipes are really produce/prep heavy to help balance it out.

I cannot stress how much I love it. I've enjoyed most of the recipes so far, and anything I haven't totally loved I know I can easily customize next time to suit my tastes. It has me eating WAY healthier, and has cut my food budget drastically. I am absolutely ashamed to say how much we were spending on food a week before Lighter...but it was ridiculous.

Anyway, there are some flaws, but I still highly recommend it!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:29 pm 
WRETCHED

I signed up for the Lighter mailing list and they are sending me recipes but they aren't in my area.

I signed up for 22 days for two weeks and it is just a lot of waste (we can't recycle #6 plastics here either). So my plan right now is to go back to good old normal meal planning but I do plan to keep an eye out on Lighter.