| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Spring 2013 Cookbook Challenge **Week #1** Your Choice
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:47 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I told myself that for the challenges I would try to follow the recipes to the letter. I have failed already.

My offering for today: Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread Squares from Sweet Vegan. The recipe is supposed to be gluten free, but I just used plain, white, all purpose flour. I also used flax seed egg instead of boxes egg replacer. And I left out the walnuts because I suck and didn't buy any when I went shopping on Friday. Oh well. They're tasty, anyway! Will definitely add walnuts next time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:07 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Hello! I'll be working out of "Vegan on the Cheap" by Robin Robertson for a bit this week. I made the black bean burgers and they were quite tasty. I like that it's a basic recipe and you can really make it your own by the seasonings and such. My omni husband really REALLY liked the burgers, especially the texture. He said they were better than the vegetarian black bean burgers I used to make, hurray!

The picture, well, I tried to make it look pretty, but alas, some vegan dishes just don't photograph well ;) It was yummy though!
p.s. guacamole on top

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:24 pm 
Nailed to the V

I wanted to cook something out of Vegan Secret Supper, but I couldn't find all of the ingredients for the recipe I picked out. Instead, I cooked out of Conscious Cook. I had planned to cook the meyer lemon risotto and the tapioca pudding for dessert, but I couldn't find tapioca. (Considering that Los Angeles is a major city, I'm constantly disappointed in how crummy the grocery stores are here). I wound up just making the risotto.

Recipe review:
I'll start with the cons. I followed the recipe exactly as written. The recipe said that it should take about 30 minutes for the risotto to absorb all of the broth and it wound up taking over an hour. That brought the total cooking time to about 75 minutes. Also, the recipe said it made 6 servings. I wound up having to freeze a big tub of risotto because the recipe easily made 8 or more servings.

Now for the pros. The end product had a perfect risotto texture and nice lemon taste. The cashew cream added some richness without making the risotto heavy. This was my first time cooking with meyer lemons and I enjoyed them. Just like the recipe notes say, they reminded me of a cross between a lemon and a tangerine. I don't usually like asparagus, but I enjoyed it in this dish. All in all, a nice spring dish. If I make this again, I will half the recipe.

Picture to follow another day.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:21 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm so excited - my first challenge! I'm also cooking out of Vegan on the Cheap by Robin Robertson. Last night we had Savory Veggie Cobbler, which tasted a lot like a veggie pot pie but with a biscuit topping. It was realllly good. My vegetarian husband, who can be pretty difficult to please, raved about it. I changed it up and used some browned tofu in place of seitan - it's pretty forgiving, and you could probably throw whatever you wanted into it, and it would still taste great! The 4-year-old and 1-year-old liked it too. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic - we ate it so quickly that I struggled to get a shot that didn't look like it was sad and half eaten.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:29 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

@bcakes, your risotto sounds really yummy and very spring appropriate. i've never cooked with meyer lemons and don't even know if i've seen them at the grocery store before. it sounds that was a special ingredient for your dish.

@sofrito, yay for VOTC. I've recently acquired this cookbook and have a long list of recipes I want to make. Have you made much from this book yet besides the cobbler?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:32 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Everyone's food looks so good! I just ate lunch but I'm hungry again!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:12 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I can't start participating until after April 7 due to having non-veg family visiting, but I like looking at what everyone else is making. Moon, those zucchini bread squares look so good!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:55 pm 
Saggy Butt

daisychain wrote:

I just love this photo, Daisychain. It's like the sun in a bowl, with a reflection of the crescent moon. Oh, and look! There's Buddha!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

littlechickadee wrote:
Moon, those zucchini bread squares look so good!

They are super moist and tasty. I've handed them out to 5 other people and they're getting rave reviews.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:35 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I am also doing Vegan on the Cheap! This is one of my go-to cookbooks and I'm using it for the first week of the cookbook challenge!

I don't have pictures, which I'll have to do for the rest of the week, but so far I've made:

Peanut Noodle Salad w/ Easy Peanut Sauce (mixed up the veggies w/ cabbage, onion, and carrot)
Barbecued Black Bean and Tofu Burritos (first time I've made this recipe as written - SOOO good!)

My plan for the rest of the week:
Tuesday: Smoky Joes w/ Grated Tempeh
Thursday: Tuscan White Bean Pizza? or Better-than-Takeout Stir-Fry w/ Quinoa
Friday: Almost-Instant Chickpea-Tomato Soup w/ Garlic Toast (from Chloe's Kitchen)
Saturday: Slow Cooker Moroccan-Inspired Lentil Soup for next week's lunches!!
Sunday: Oh She Glows Lentil Loaf for Easter dinner with the family to convince them how delicious vegan food is!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:38 pm 
Saggy Butt

Tonight I made Betty Goes Vegan Easy Olive Oil Garlic Toast, and Fresh Herb Vinaigrette. They are both very simple, but yummy, as long as you like garlic and basil, oregano, and thyme. The herbs in the vinaigrette have a very strong flavor. The salad I made wasn't in the book, it was my cheap-assparagus salad in a bag I usually eat instead of chopping tons of veggies.

I wish I had snapped this before I shook the jar. It was prettier before.

Also, the bread isn't a part of the recipe. It is a purchased baguette. This recipe was only bread, olive oil, and garlic - so simple I feel like it's cheating. I thought I would think it needed salt, but it didn't at all.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:30 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Baked Lebanese Potato Kibbeh with Lentil Stuffing from World Vegan Feast. I also did the recommended tahini dressing.

For all the work and steps involved, this was pretty bland. I came home during my work break to cook and mash the potatoes and prepare the lentil stuffing, then did the bulgur mixture and tahini dressing once I got home for the evening, which broke it up nicely. The directions make absolutely no sense whatsoever. I've found that a lot with this book...whoever edited it did a terrible job, and if I didn't already know my way around the kitchen and how things should be done, generally, I would have definitely forked this up. She says to just rinse the bulgur and let it sit, covered, for 20 minutes, but after that amount of time it was still totally hard, so I had to cook it on the stovetop. Anyway, all that aside, it made a nice little casserole. The manfriend and I ate it with a healthy dollop of sriracha, of all things, which spiced it up nicely. The tahini dressing had a little too much garlic (coming from a garlic lover!), but was otherwise really good. I like that she used silken tofu to make it extra creamy and bulk it up without adding too much extra fat. I thought the cinnamon flavor in the bulgur mixture was too strong, but my manfriend couldn't even taste it, thus confirming my cinnamon in sweets only sensitivity, haha... Anyway, overall not a total fail, but not that memorable, either.

ETA: while this is a crappy iPod pic, I am also taking pictures with my DSLR and will blog at the end of each week (or 2 weeks in the future) with my reviews! Yay, a real reason to start my blog back up!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:22 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I did the napa cabbage salad from Quick & Easy Low Cal Vegan Comfort Food. (ok, that should win an award for the longest cookbook title ever). I served it with some TJ's gozya and some tofu on top. (the tofu was a local made one from the asian store - the pre-baked kind, or "hard savory tofu" as it says on the package - I seared it with garlic, chilli garlic sauce, and green onions. it was awesome)

Terrible pic. I always take terrible pics. I think i need better lighting. I had 3 lightbulbs recently burn out in my condo

The salad was ok. I let it sit for an hour (reccomended), and honestly it tasted BETTER about 5 minutes after tossing! In fact, it was great then. It got kinda soggy after an hour. I followed the recipe almost exactly, even using Braggs, which I usually hate. Did add some cilantro and mint at the end since I needed to use it.

I think this is kind of a great base salad, you can add whatever. I will make again, with the dressing as described but maybe with some heat, but served ASAP after tossing. I am using leftovers in a wrap with some sirracha mayo for lunch today.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:46 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I'm doing Happy Herbivore Abroad. Today I made the Hummus (meh), lentil taco 'meat' (bah) and making mustard chickpeas today. I'll post pics and everything later :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:50 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

allie1123 wrote:
I am also doing Vegan on the Cheap! This is one of my go-to cookbooks and I'm using it for the first week of the cookbook challenge!

I don't have pictures, which I'll have to do for the rest of the week, but so far I've made:

Peanut Noodle Salad w/ Easy Peanut Sauce (mixed up the veggies w/ cabbage, onion, and carrot)
Barbecued Black Bean and Tofu Burritos (first time I've made this recipe as written - SOOO good!)

My plan for the rest of the week:
Tuesday: Smoky Joes w/ Grated Tempeh
Thursday: Tuscan White Bean Pizza? or Better-than-Takeout Stir-Fry w/ Quinoa
Friday: Almost-Instant Chickpea-Tomato Soup w/ Garlic Toast (from Chloe's Kitchen)
Saturday: Slow Cooker Moroccan-Inspired Lentil Soup for next week's lunches!!
Sunday: Oh She Glows Lentil Loaf for Easter dinner with the family to convince them how delicious vegan food is!

wow you are ambitious! i always cook a meal from scratch but stretch it out over two dinners for myself and my hubby. i love reheated homemade leftovers the next day for dinner! such a time saver!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:57 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

VeganinBerlin wrote:
I'm doing Happy Herbivore Abroad. Today I made the Hummus (meh), lentil taco 'meat' (bah) and making mustard chickpeas today. I'll post pics and everything later :)

Mustard chickpeas tasted like "chickpeas + tabasco" and I didn't even use all the hot sauce it asked for. Now my mouth burns.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:06 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

It looks tasty, allularpunk.

I'm doing the same cookbook. I've had it for over a year and haven't made anything from it until now.

I started with pantry / fridge staples.

Vegan "Chicken-Style" Broth Powder: I had no soya (or any other) protein powder, so I used soya flour. Otherwise I followed the recipe to the letter. Then I made the broth with plain mie noodles. I can taste only the sage. Why do so many people consider sage flavour to be chicken flavour??? I had to add 1/4 tsp salt to 1 cup of broth and it was still bland. I like vegetable bouillon cubes way more. I prepared the whole recipe and I regret it. Nutritional yeast is very expensive here.

I also made Walnut Parm. I usually make it with walnuts, nutritional yeast and salt alone. This one is with miso, so it's a paste. It tastes really good. I have no idea how parmesan tastes, though, I'd never tasted it.

I also made Moroccan Passover Spinach Salad. It would have been tasty without the amount of lemon juice stated in the recipe I added against my better judgement.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:44 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

rhelune,
i love your festive orange and blue bowls. swoon.

just curious how much nooch is where you live. i pay $9.99 per pound in the bulk bin section, but I don't buy a pound at a time, usually just 1/4 lb or 1/3 lb.

just a bit curious and nosy since you mentioned you've never tasted parm, were you raised vegan as a child?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:01 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I want some of that garlic bread, Miss Jayme Kat!

No pictures from me - I'm the world's worst photographer!

I'm doing Color Me Vegan this week, and I'm finding it quite hard to not just turn to my old and tried recipes from the book. So many recipes seem to ask for things that are hard for me to get...

Today I made the Hot and Sour Soup. I seem to be incapable of following recipes exactly, so here are the most important changes I made: used brown cremini instead of the wood ear mushrooms, added 1/2 onion and 1 scallion instead of 3 scallions (didn't have that many left), left out chili oil (didn't have any). The soup was good, but it did thicken a bit too much for my taste - next time I'd use less cornstarch. I might throw some udon or soba in there tomorrow to make it a bit more filling.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:01 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Thanks, bookwormbethie :) I also have a green one.

Nooch is sold only in 150 g packages here, one costs 7.27 USD, so 1 pound is 22 USD.

I wasn't raised vegan, but I was never able to stand the smell of parmesan. I never ate much cheese, and when I did, it was only Edam. I'm still developing taste for various cheeses thanks to Sheese and Artisan Vegan Cheese.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:18 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I'm cooking from Eat, Drink & Be Vegan. Started out by making the bean and corn tortilla lasagna.

It was pretty good. A little boring maybe. I much prefer the avocado and pinto bean enchiladas from this book before this.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:34 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

rhelune, cookbook twinsies! I like your bowls as well. Also, next time we do a care package swap, you should join in and try to get someone that doesn't mind shipping internationally and have them send you a couple pounds of nooch! Bummer that the broth powder didn't work out well, and good to know. I'll have to try that walnut parm. I don't miss parmesan cheese at all (it's stinky), but sometimes I do want something salty to add to pizza.

Love Child, that cookbook is one of my absolute favorites! I'm excited that LTEV is included in the challenge so I can get some more use out of it, since I always default to ED&BV when I want a Dreena recipe.

Chicki, I made that salad also and didn't totally love it. I agree that it would have been better served fresh so it doesn't get all wilty. Also, that is a majorly long cookbook title. I feel the same way when I talk about The Complete Idiot's Guide to Cooking Vegan, so I always just call it The Idiot Book.

So exciting to see what everyone's making!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:16 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I finally broke my tempeh virginity with tempeh sausage crumbles, from VWAV, served with braised cauliflower with 3 seed sauce, also from VWAV, and some mash potato. I was low on time, starving, food was steaming, dog was trying to eat it and low light hence the super bad photo. Will be having the same for the next 3 nights so will try get a better photo one of those nights.

The tempeh was different from what I normally eat. I definitely enjoyed it. I also really enjoyed the cauliflower dish. I will certainly be making that again.

So glad that I ate before coming on this thread because all the food looks darn delicious.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:32 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I love those tempeh sausage crumbles! Haven't made that cauliflower though...too lazy to get up and look at what the three seeds are, but it sounds right up my alley. Yum!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:57 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I'd definitely recommend it if you like your veg saucy and with a small bit of heat. I really enjoyed it.

I now have a working oven. I managed to fix it myself so I'm going to get baking from VWAV before the weekend.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next