| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Spring 2013 Cookbook Challenge **Week #1** Your Choice
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:06 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

daisychain wrote:
I'd definitely recommend it if you like your veg saucy and with a small bit of heat. I really enjoyed it.

I now have a working oven. I managed to fix it myself so I'm going to get baking from VWAV before the weekend.

Yay! Hhhmmmm.... so since you managed to fix the oven yourself, does that mean you have more $ to buy more cookbooks ;)

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

daisychain wrote:
I finally broke my tempeh virginity with tempeh sausage crumbles, from VWAV, served with braised cauliflower with 3 seed sauce, also from VWAV, and some mash potato. I was low on time, starving, food was steaming, dog was trying to eat it and low light hence the super bad photo. Will be having the same for the next 3 nights so will try get a better photo one of those nights.

......The tempeh was different from what I normally eat. I definitely enjoyed it. I also really enjoyed the cauliflower dish. I will certainly be making that again......

cool, i admit, i still have yet try tempeh, it seems "weird" but i know it's not. what kind of texture does tempeh have? does it taste like tofu or not so much since it's fermented?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:08 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

allularpunk wrote:
rhelune, cookbook twinsies! I like your bowls as well. Also, next time we do a care package swap, you should join in and try to get someone that doesn't mind shipping internationally and have them send you a couple pounds of nooch! Bummer that the broth powder didn't work out well, and good to know. I'll have to try that walnut parm. I don't miss parmesan cheese at all (it's stinky), but sometimes I do want something salty to add to pizza.

Me too, I like salty, I like umami, I just don't like stinky.

I thought about that, but I'm afraid the shipping would be way too expensive.

Here's another dish from WVF, Chickpea Flour Omelet (Gujarati Chilla). I made the Italian variation (with canned plum tomatoes and dried basil, I had no fresh) and served it with fresh rocket / arugula. It was very tasty. I'll try other variations as well.

Love Child, this looks really tasty!

Daisychain, I plan to use VWAV for my next challenge. Did you use all the herbs and spices the recipe calls for? Are they overwhelming? I used fennel seeds in this: http://www.everydaydish.tv/recipe/spicy ... an-sausage and all I could taste was fennel. That sausage reminded me of licorice candy, not sausage.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

wow, 1 to 2 TBS is a lot of fennel!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:27 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Love Child wrote:
I'm cooking from Eat, Drink & Be Vegan. Started out by making the bean and corn tortilla lasagna.

It was pretty good. A little boring maybe. I much prefer the avocado and pinto bean enchiladas from this book before this.

This looks like my ideal dish. Mexicanish and a casserole.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:32 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

bookwormbethie wrote:
daisychain wrote:
I'd definitely recommend it if you like your veg saucy and with a small bit of heat. I really enjoyed it.

I now have a working oven. I managed to fix it myself so I'm going to get baking from VWAV before the weekend.

Yay! Hhhmmmm.... so since you managed to fix the oven yourself, does that mean you have more $ to buy more cookbooks ;)

Oh God!!!! No more books! Honest! At least until next week anyway.......

The tempeh was actually quite good. I was nervous of it I must admit. I steamed it beforehand so it wouldn't be bitter. I found it to be a lot more firm than tofu but then I've only managed to get extra firm tofu here. It has plenty of bite in it so if you are the type of person that needs something "solid" with the meal it should be good. I found the look of it in the plastic to be a bit weird though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:30 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

rhelune - ah, yes, I was stupidly thinking about those one price shipping boxes that we use over here and didn't compute that, duh, you probably can't use those internationally. That omelet looks fantastic!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:00 pm 
Mediocre Tart

bookwormbethie wrote:
just a bit curious and nosy since you mentioned you've never tasted parm, were you raised vegan as a child?

Is parmesan cheese so ubiquitous in the US that most people have had it? I know there are dishes with -parm in the name, but I never thought of it being such a thing that it would occur to think of someone as being brought up veg if they've never tried it.

rhelune, that omelette looks so good!

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:03 pm 
Saggy Butt

Rhelune, that chickpea omelette thingy is gorgeous!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:06 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Thank you allularpunk, interrobang?!, and Miss Jayme Kat.

I do have a bread maker, but am thinking about making No-Knead Artisanal Bread frow WVF. What worries me the most is handling a hot casserole dish (and a hot lid) and putting sticky dough into it. I'm very clumsy and not a week passes without me cutting or burning my fingers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:07 pm 
Saggy Butt

interrobang?! wrote:
Is parmesan cheese so ubiquitous in the US that most people have had it? !

Yes. If nothing else, we dump canned, shredded parmesan all over our pasta and pizzas, and I don't think I've ever been to an Italian restaurant or pizza joint that didn't have a jar of parm on every table. If it's a fancy place, the server will shred it onto your plate for you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:11 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

bookwormbethie wrote:
@sofrito, yay for VOTC. I've recently acquired this cookbook and have a long list of recipes I want to make. Have you made much from this book yet besides the cobbler?

I've had the cookbook for awhile but haven't cooked from it at all until this week. And I'm loving it so far! I made the lemony potatoes with white beans and sun dried tomatoes over the weekend, except I didn't have tomatoes and added spinach and artichokes. It was a bit salty and definitely could have used the tomatoes and fewer kalamata olives (I went a little olive crazy). I still liked it though and will definitely make it again as it was super easy and quick to throw together. I didn't get a pic, unfortunately.

Next up is the Smoky Southwest Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie, and later this week will be Veggie Lasagna. I'm really excited to try out the cauliflower topping on that one.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:40 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Canned parmesan? *Shudder*. And people say vegan food is gross.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:45 pm 
Mediocre Tart

mattomic wrote:
Ha. I'm wondering if this is like the cheapo plastic tub 'italian hard cheese' we get in the UK? Because, that, I have certainly had. But actual parmesan? Never.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:06 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Miss Jayme Kat wrote:
interrobang?! wrote:
Is parmesan cheese so ubiquitous in the US that most people have had it? !

Yes. If nothing else, we dump canned, shredded parmesan all over our pasta and pizzas, and I don't think I've ever been to an Italian restaurant or pizza joint that didn't have a jar of parm on every table. If it's a fancy place, the server will shred it onto your plate for you.

and even not fancy places like the olive garden like to get in on that shredding action too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Yeah, if someone in North America were to tell me they'd never had Parmesan cheese I would assume they were veg or had a dairy allergy from childhood. Parmesan on everything.

ETA: Rhelune, that omelette thing looks amazing. AMAZING.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:14 pm 
Saggy Butt

mattomic wrote:

My sister calls it "vomit in a can."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:09 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

From Cookin' With TJ Veg: tempeh tacos (added avocado, cheeze shreds)....along for the ride jicama with lemon & chili and red rice!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:41 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

interrobang?! wrote:
mattomic wrote:
Ha. I'm wondering if this is like the cheapo plastic tub 'italian hard cheese' we get in the UK? Because, that, I have certainly had. But actual parmesan? Never.

I think the name parmesan is protected in the EU, so you can't call the canned stuff parmesan because it's not really. So yes i'd reckon it's the same stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:53 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

allularpunk wrote:

Love Child, that cookbook is one of my absolute favorites! I'm excited that LTEV is included in the challenge so I can get some more use out of it, since I always default to ED&BV when I want a Dreena recipe.

Nice! I haven't made much from this book, do you have any favorites to recommend?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:42 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I made the roasted pepper cannellini bean sauce from Vive le Vegan last night and served it over pasta. I'm not really joining in the challenge for a few weeks as I'm going on holiday at the weekend and trying to clear out my fridge. However, since one of my aims is to use Dreena's books more in general, I thought I'd post it here. It was really really quick and simple, used completely store cupboard ingredients (except rosemary from my garden but you could use dried) and was very tasty indeed. It's a great dish for late work nights or days when you've not been shopping. Will make it again.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:18 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Love Child wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

Love Child, that cookbook is one of my absolute favorites! I'm excited that LTEV is included in the challenge so I can get some more use out of it, since I always default to ED&BV when I want a Dreena recipe.

Nice! I haven't made much from this book, do you have any favorites to recommend?

I will flip through it when I get home this evening and give you some recs then! There are so many I love.

ETA: missmuffcake, that plate of deliciousness looks amazing!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:40 am 
Saggy Butt

Love Child wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

My favourites so far: lemon mediterranean lentils, jerk chickpeas, thai almond chickpea curry, and the red lentil and orange stew with star anise.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:44 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

saveur wrote:
Love Child wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

My favourites so far: lemon mediterranean lentils, jerk chickpeas, thai almond chickpea curry, and the red lentil and orange stew with star anise.

No no, ED&BV favorites!

ETA: All of those (with the exception of the red lentil and orange stew, which I haven't made because I hate oranges) are delicious LTEV recipes though!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:09 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I am realizing as I look through this rice cooker book that anything I might make from it will be extremely unphotogenic. So perhaps I'll choose something else. I've been enjoying seeing all of your tasty results so far though!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next