| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dixie Diner vs. Soy Curls
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:32 am 
Saggy Butt

Has anyone tried both the Dixie Diner "Beef Not" and "Chicken Not" products--they're TVP products in strips, chunks and ground--vegan, soy-based. I've had them before--just ordered some because they were having a 30% off your order sale (if anyone wants that, the coupon code is 10329).
So, I've had them before and they're fine--everyone keeps raving about Soy Curls and I wonder if they're much different?

Post subject: Re: Dixie Diner vs. Soy Curls
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:34 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I really like their chick salad mix.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:48 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

wow, that is waaaaay more iron and fiber per serving than soy curls!!

p.s. i've never had dixie diner, but it seems they are flavored? soy curls are plain and do not come with any fake beef or fake chicken flavoring.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:52 pm 
Saggy Butt

I've had them before and they are more colored than flavored--the chicken-not is a very neutral TVP type flavor, I don't remember much of a "beef" flavor with the beef stuff either.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:42 pm 
Saggy Butt

Oh--and they are not salted at all, they're not like a Morningstar/Gardein/Boca product or anything.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:53 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I haven't had Dixie Diner, but I think soy curls would be healthier, since they're a whole food product rather than an isolated soy protein.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:06 pm 
Saggy Butt

Is soy flour an isolated soy protein? (confused). Granted these are "enriched" and the soy curls don't seem to have those additives.
Ingredients: Soy flour, corn, zinc oxide, niacinamide, ferrous sulfate, copper gluconate, vitamin A palmitate, calcium pantothenate, thiamin mononitrate (b1), pyridoxine hydrochloride (b6), riboflavin (b2), Vitamin B12.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:25 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

geeksweetheart wrote:
Is soy flour an isolated soy protein? (confused). Granted these are "enriched" and the soy curls don't seem to have those additives.
Ingredients: Soy flour, corn, zinc oxide, niacinamide, ferrous sulfate, copper gluconate, vitamin A palmitate, calcium pantothenate, thiamin mononitrate (b1), pyridoxine hydrochloride (b6), riboflavin (b2), Vitamin B12.

I was just going off of you saying they were TVP. Soy curls are made from whole, non-gmo soybeans. From Wikipedia, TVP: "Textured or texturized vegetable protein (TVP), also known as textured soy protein (TSP), soy meat, or soya chunks is a defatted soy flour product, a by-product of extracting soybean oil."

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:56 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

The texture is different. Soy Curls are thin and don't take very long to hydrate. When hydrated, Soy Curls are like shredded chicken in texture, IMO. Even the Dixie Diner strips aren't as delicate in texture as Soy Curls.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:04 pm 
Saggy Butt

Thanks Raspberry! My Dixie Diner shipment came today. I'll have to get some soy curls next time and compare.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:32 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Raspberry Swirl wrote:
The texture is different. Soy Curls are thin and don't take very long to hydrate. When hydrated, Soy Curls are like shredded chicken in texture, IMO. Even the Dixie Diner strips aren't as delicate in texture as Soy Curls.

mmmm.... soy curls.... and yes i agree, rehydrated, so curls are very very much like shredded chicken in texture, a a bit softer/squishier (but not in a bad way!)

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:32 pm 
WELFARIST!

I've never had a Dixie Diner product that I've liked! They all have been absolutely disgusting to me.

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]