| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Spring 2013 Cookbook Challenge **Week #2** Isa & Terry
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:23 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

admittedly i liked the vegetable part from the VEW big veg couscous, but my hubby and i weren't too fond of the seasoned couscous. however, terry's method of cooking/steaming the couscous was awesome!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:49 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

You guys are so patient with me! I'll have to cook and take more pics so I can try it again. For some reason it was easier for me to post with photobucket.

Anyway, yeah, the seasoned couscous was really salty but the method was amazing. I used a smaller dish than what was called for but it had a tight fitting lid and the couscous steamed perfectly.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:22 pm 
Huffs Nooch

You guys have picked some great recipes this week! I'm cooking from Viva Vegan, and trying some recipes I haven't made before. I've been sick and haven't cooked much, so I doubt I'll get to 6 recipes in 2 weeks. I made the baked tofu chimichurri and it was great, but, not so photogenic. I did use half parsley and half cilantro, because all parsley is a bit too much parsley. I also made the quick red posole and really liked that too. (I hope I can figure out how to get the photos off my camera.) Maybe I'll get to some empanadas this weekend..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:28 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

KrisB wrote:
You guys have picked some great recipes this week! I'm cooking from Viva Vegan, and trying some recipes I haven't made before. I've been sick and haven't cooked much, so I doubt I'll get to 6 recipes in 2 weeks. I made the baked tofu chimichurri and it was great, but, not so photogenic. I did use half parsley and half cilantro, because all parsley is a bit too much parsley. I also made the quick red posole and really liked that too. (I hope I can figure out how to get the photos off my camera.) Maybe I'll get to some empanadas this weekend..

i'm with you, getting over a nasty tummy bug and am eating such small portions of super bland food.
the food you made sounds yummy.... esp that posole!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:26 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Well, the broccoli polenta thing from AFR tastes like... broccoli and polenta. Nice but I guess I read too many cookbooks because after eating/making stuff like this out of a cookbook I always think "in what world did I need a recipe for that?". Because I always thing every recipe in the world should cater for my own needs. Plus I don't think I ever did mix mix polenta with broccoli before so I dont even know why I'm complaining.
Anyway, it tastes nice.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:25 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

VeganinBerlin, I haven't made that broccoli polenta from AFR, but I do love the broccoli polenta squares (?) from VCON. Something about it is just so delicious, even though it's just broccoli and polenta.

Here's the Chipotle, Corn, and Black Bean Stew from VWAV. It was surprisingly tasty. The chipotle went a long way to add flavor to it. I did use veggie broth instead of water and added extra salt at the end, and also garnished it with scallions, avocado, and some crushed up tortilla chips. Next time I would use half as many potatoes and twice as many carrots, but I'm just more of a carrot person than a potato person. The omni manfriend liked it, and liked that the carrots were big enough for him to pick out. He only garnished with scallions, because he's on a diet.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:45 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

ameyfm wrote:

Also all you Chesapeake Tempeh Cake haters are just plain crazy! Those things are the yumz!!!

Totally! I get that tempeh isn't for everyone, but I don't get that the Chesapeake cakes aren't for everyone! To each their own, I suppose.

I haven't been cooking pretty much at all this week, but I might pull out V'Con tonight because it's still my favourite cookbook. I've been craving banh mi so I might make the Vietnamese seitan sammiches with the jus. Best sandwich ever.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:10 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Last night I made the Orange Mojo tofu from VV. I have made that dish before and just love it. I wanted to make something different but husband was working very late so for a dinner at 9pm I went with a tried and true. I love the orange flavor the tofu soaks up.

Tonight I'm going for something new....Pasta e Fagioli from AFR. This weekend I am planning for Baked Falafels for lunches from AFR. I feel I need to spend more time cooking from this book as everything I've made from here is a winner....I just haven't made that much from it yet.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:16 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I have the day off today so I have time to go the grocery store and devote time to making the Cashew Vegetable Korma from the PPK blog. It looks good, we love Indian food and I have almost all the ingredients. My house it going to smell divine!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:23 am 
Bathes in Braggs

allularpunk wrote:
VeganinBerlin, I haven't made that broccoli polenta from AFR, but I do love the broccoli polenta squares (?) from VCON. Something about it is just so delicious, even though it's just broccoli and polenta.

I like & eat broccoli with pretty much anything. I've had it every week for the past year or so. Maybe if it had been a vegetable I don't eat that often I would have felt different about it. Then again mostly I only eat the cheap "basic" vegetables I get at the supermarket here anyway..

I mixed the broccoli polenta with some seitan burger shreds and tabasco today. That was a good meal. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:31 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

everyone has made such amazing stuff so far, i'm finally feeling better and hungry so i hope to start playing along over the weekend and into next week!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:44 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Awww, hope you are feeling better super soon xxx

I had a long day at work so I'm too exhausted to make muffins tonight. Pity but I don't want to be completely worn out.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:24 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Last night from Viva Vegan, I made Arroz con Seitan. I used the Steamed White Seitan, homemade Sofrito, Corona, a water/veg broth combo, canned peas (eep!) and included the optional capers. I left out the cilantro. The seitan was absolutely delicious after being seared. The rice didn't cook evenly for some reason. Some of it was perfect, others were crunchy. I thought the carrots could have been less crunchy as well. Despite these little imperfections, I thought this dish was kickin'! Very delicious and satisfying.

For a side, I made the Classic Cabbage Salad leaving out the tomato. I tossed this with the Cilantro-Citrus Vinaigrette. I used grapeseed oil, lime juice & mustard powder. I left out the cilantro as mine had gone bad. The vinaigrette was just okay. It really needed something else (probably cilantro). The salad as a whole was a great counterpart to the Arroz con Seitan.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:25 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I'm not sure I'll make this week's deadline, but I just bought groceries to make the cesar salad from AFR, the pad kee mao from VEW and the quinoa-date salad from VEW. I'll probably make pineapple collards from AFR (try adding some tamarind too) and hot sauce glazed tempeh from Vcon tonight too, but I make those all the time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:41 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

aiee wrote:
I'm not sure I'll make this week's deadline, but I just bought groceries to make the cesar salad from AFR, the pad kee mao from VEW and the quinoa-date salad from VEW. I'll probably make pineapple collards from AFR (try adding some tamarind too) and hot sauce glazed tempeh from Vcon tonight too, but I make those all the time.

This one spans two weeks, so you should be fine! I haven't had a chance either so so happy it is two weeks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:38 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Zula, that Arroz con Seitan looks amazing!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:54 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

So here is the Cashew Vegetable Korma from the PPK blog. I just finished that bowl and I am stuffed, this stuff is filling. I paired it with some naan bread to mop up the yummy creamy sauce. I am lucky to be able to find delicious vegan naan bread at my grocery store so I don't have to make it. This dish took over an hour to make, made a mess of my kitchen and now I have a ton of dishes to do but it was worth it. I halved the recipe and it still made ALOT, I'll be able to munch on it for the next couple days.

Image[/url]
DSC00844 by brontrent, on Flickr[/img]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:46 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Isa's Quarter Pounder Beet Burger made as sliders. Honestly, not my favorite. The large ones, made with the 3 1/2 mold fell apart considerably. Also, I found them rather bland and not worth all the effort of precooking lentils, rice and shredding beets. Served with some left over miso dressing from Vegan Sandwiches I had kicking around and slider buns from TJ's.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:36 pm 

allularpunk wrote:
Zula, that Arroz con Seitan looks amazing!

Thanks! It was quite tasty.

Marzipan wrote:
Isa's Quarter Pounder Beet Burger made as sliders. Honestly, not my favorite. The large ones, made with the 3 1/2 mold fell apart considerably. Also, I found them rather bland and not worth all the effort of precooking lentils, rice and shredding beets. Served with some left over miso dressing from Vegan Sandwiches I had kicking around and slider buns from TJ's.

That's too bad. I hate when you go through so much effort and end up with very little flavor. I've been wondering about these, if they have a strong beet flavor but I guess not. Nice pic though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:09 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Zula, your VV recipes look delightful! I've made and very much enjoyed both of those.

Marzipan, TJ's sells vegan slider buns?!

I made a double batch of VV white seitan today. Not remotely a new recipe for me. It's my most made recipe from VV. I love that seitan. But I do plan on trying some new recipes using it next week.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:30 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I made cha siu bao from Vegan Eats World this past weekend. They are AMAZING, especially the filling, which came out looking gooey and delicious just like the pic in the book! I also made the sesame chard from VEW and the almond sesame green beans from Asian Vegan Kitchen. They're not so photogenic but they were super delicious.

ImageImage

Tonight we had the leek & bean cassoulet from V'con. The stew was a bit bland for me so I actually ate it with sriracha, and then it was perfect! I tried out the biscuit recipe from Chloe's Kitchen instead of the V'con one, and they were really excellent. A good dinner for a rainy day!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:27 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I have been meaning to make that cassoulet for awhile now, your pics over some great motivation as it looks very yummy. I also love the biscuits from Chloe's kitchen so I'll use those like you did.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:03 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

From Viva Vegan, I made the Steitan Chorizo Sausages, which were pretty easy to make, and had great flavor. Then I made the Chorizo and Potato Taquitos with the Pinenut Lime Crema to dip them in.

The taquitos were pretty delicious. Some of the best vegan "junk food" I've ever made. I think that if I make them again, I will adjust the chorizo to potato ratio. The flavor was still delicious, but I would have preferred to taste the chorizo more. As it happens, I have about twice as much filling as I needed, so I'll be making more taquitos as soon as I can buy more tortillas!

I love the Lime Crema on the side. According to Terry's comments, it's better designed as a topping for baked casseroles (which I've done before with great success), but I had some pine nuts so it seemed like the perfect thing to make!

I was so hungry, I gobbled up two taquitos without taking a picture, but I'll be sure to take some in the near future.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:14 am 

couroupita wrote:
I made cha siu bao from Vegan Eats World this past weekend. They are AMAZING, especially the filling, which came out looking gooey and delicious just like the pic in the book! I also made the sesame chard from VEW and the almond sesame green beans from Asian Vegan Kitchen. They're not so photogenic but they were super delicious.

This sounds delicious! Was the recipe time-consuming?

Victoire wrote:
From Viva Vegan, I made the Steitan Chorizo Sausages, which were pretty easy to make, and had great flavor. Then I made the Chorizo and Potato Taquitos with the Pinenut Lime Crema to dip them in.

How spicy was the Chorizo? I've mentioned already that I'm a wuss when it comes to really spicy foods. I've only had chorizo once. On vacation at a brunch cafe last year I had a breakfast sandwich-type thing and it was a big mistake. All I could taste was hotness. I'm always drawn to chorizo recipes though...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:36 am 
Nailed to the V

So I have been horrible this week. I've cooked so much food from Isa and Terry books, but I haven't taken any pics! I'll do my best to try and remember everything I made...

Quinoa and Black Bean Soup from the blog: I added some TVP to bulk it up some, and reduced the amount of liquid for thickness. It was great! Definitely awesome with some extra hot sauce.

Seitan Coriander Cutlets from VEW: Probably my 4th time making these, because I love them so much! They're easy, they come together very quickly, and you can vary the seasonings to make it different every time. Wonderful!

Pineapple Fried Rice with a Thai Kick from VEW: I actually made this without pineapple, because I don't like pineapple. Otherwise, the recipe was simple and very yummy. I baked some savory tofu from this book also and added it in for a protein boost.

Trattoria Pasta Salad with White Beans from AFR: Good stuff! In the future I might add something more to the dressing, as I found it just a tad bland. But it was nothing some salt and pepper couldn't fix, and my whole family enjoyed this.

Chocolate Chip Cookies and City Girl Snickerdoodles from VCIYCJ: The Chocolate Chippers are my go-to recipe for my son when he asks for cookies, so they were perfect as expected. However, I did have issues with the Snickerdoodles. Prior to this I have always used Martha Stewart's recipe (before I was vegan, I followed it to the letter and then after I went vegan, I just veganized her version). These cookies just spread out to a very thin pancake, no puff whatsoever. They tasted just like sugar cookies, rather than snickerdoodles, and the texture was more like a lace cookie. They taste great, they're just not what I would call a snickerdoodle. I don't know if that's how the recipe is, or if my sister and I screwed up when making them.

I think that's it, for now! I'll try to remember to photograph stuff next week!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next